The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to me.....Jimmy Loesberg
Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 6:56 am    

I must confess this is a player I had not heard of till a Bass player friend in The States sent this clip to me. Apparently Jimmy once played for Ray Price and still uses his old SHO-BUD ...what a player...it's a long video so sit back and enjoy...I guess I love Texas Country now Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v9fCcHU_0g

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 9:48 am    

Jim Loessberg is one of the very best. He plays an Emmons push pull.

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 12:10 pm    

Hi Jim...perhaps now he does, but the Double Bass player who sent me the clip had worked with Jimmy many times, and it was always a 'Bud...Shame there wasn't a close up on that clip....it's always the way isn't it Laughing ...Yes I agree he is fantastic Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 12:28 pm    

Here's the e'mail I got from the Double Bass player Jim.

Micky, as you will see, this was taken off a TV show that is on the RFD Channel. Jim Loesberg still plays a Sho-Bud from years ago. He was playing for Ray Price when I first met him & he used to come to our annual show until he went back on the road……..good guy & great player !!!

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 1:01 pm    

Hey Micky, here's Jim's website with some more info you might find of interest..
http://www.jimloessberg.com/

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 1:04 pm    

TruCountry is a weekly show on RFDTV. Jim is playing his old push pull on that show and on every show I have ever seen him on and in person. The clips I have seen of him playing with Ray Price also only show him playing his push pull.

The only ShoBud I ever remember seeing on that show was played by Ricky Davis. By the way, that's Ricky playing Big Mamou on the recorded intro to the show.

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 3:01 pm    

Hey Jeff and Jim....first thanks for that link Jeff...it's great and Jim, re the push pull...perhaps my Bassman Pal needs an eye test Laughing ...but as I said earlier, I wish they had a close up on Jimmy on that video clip, mind you there was a music stand blocking him anyway Very Happy

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Sho-Bud S-12 Born July 1975..Thanks to Ricky Davis...now converted to a Universal, and a Carter Universal.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 5:09 pm    

Jim more often than not plays his push pull thru a nashville 400, but I think he does have a Shobud. He an equally good drummer.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 5:19 pm    

He plays a black P/P Wrap Around. 64 Model I think
You are correct, he's probably as equal on the drums,too!!

great guy!!

Last edited by Charley Hill on 29 Mar 2016 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 6:32 pm    

Yes Loessberg mainly plays his 1965 Wraparound which is the Rick Price wraparound Jim always wanted, so when it finally came up; Jim sold is '64 to Herb Steiner. I think the '64 Jim had was the best sounding Emmons EVER!!! One day Jim was playing his '64 at a small gig; than he made me get up and play it while he took a small break and I played a few songs with Justin Trevino and immediately after the first song; Jim came running up and said: "Ricky; you are the only person I've heard make a '64 wraparound sound like a Sho~bud"...ha...go figure...
Jim has a old Sho~bud Permenant that is awesome and plays it from time to time...but hard to every hear/see Jim on anything other than his Emmons and Jim Loessberg is far beyond a Master of the steel guitar and musician(yes drummer included).
I played that TruCountry show twice with my Ex(whatever her name was) and of course I played my LDG; but was asked to play while Bobby Flores and that chick I played with; did Big Mamou; so like Jim said; that is me on the opening intro song to the shows. But the house steel player was indeed Jim Loessberg on his '65 wraparound; unless some particular singers wanted to use some of their musicians.
Ricky

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2016 6:33 pm    

Edit: Looks like RIcky and I were writing at the same time
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim has an old (permanent or fingertip) ShoBud that he ocassionally plays. No matter, he sounds like Jim Lossberg to me. He played the ShoBud two years ago at the Phoenix show becasue his PP was on the bus of his regular gig. Great player and drummer as has been said. He is an equally nice guy with some good courses too! He plays some of the cleanest Emmons inspired C6 lines you will here. Get his Bebop CD. He deserve to get his money back for making that one for us!

Micky Byrne

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 2:47 am    

Hey Jeff...once again thanks for Jimmy's website...on the "videos" section, there's lots of his playing and even on a couple it says he played a borrowed Sho-Bud. Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 3:39 am    

You're very welcome, Micky...glad you enjoyed it Smile

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2016 12:41 am    

Talking of Jim, he has some wonderful instruction material available. I have some of his C6 but this is not for the faint-hearted. I personally think it is even more difficult than the Emmons "Swingin" series.

Well worth a look.

Jim Loessberg

Austin, Texas U.S.A
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2016 2:00 pm    

Hello everybody,

Thank you to everyone who took the time to write such nice words. I am humbled.

The 1965 Emmons is the steel I play most of the time. Ricky is correct about the history. The Sho-Bud is an early-to-mid 1960s permanent. Years ago Hal Rugg told me it is most likely a 1963.

There is one short clip of it on my website. The other clip is of Crowbear Schmidt's (Professional or Pro II, if I remember correctly). He was very kind to lend it to me in France for a rehearsal and then very kind again to let me play his great Zum on the show.

Bill, I missed seeing you at the steel shows. Let me know when you get down this way again and we'll go visit the Mexican food restaurant.

Ricky, I miss seeing you too but even though I live in Austin I hardly ever play here. As one of our friends said, "You can make a great living playing steel while living in Austin -- as long as you don't PLAY in Austin."

Best to all,

Jim

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2016 1:04 am    

regardless, we watch the RFD show each time it is on, it's a great show and Jim plays and sounds great.

Even if he is playing an old Emmons ! Cool Laughing Smile Shocked

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2016 10:36 am    

Miss you too Jim.
Quote:
"You can make a great living playing steel while living in Austin -- as long as you don't PLAY in Austin."

Is SOOOOO correct...ha...and that's why we in the Weldon Henson band only has every Tuesday night at Broken Spoke we play in Austin and that is it...we play and make a ton of mula OUT of Austin..ha.
Also so glad that you continually get folks listening/finding out/re-experiencing your Mastery of the pedal steel guitar; as I can personally speak a bazzillion hours on the great influence you "Jim Loessberg" has been to me; THANK YOU.
Ricky

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 11:18 am    

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOzqaJBFJII
No telling how many times I've watched this video.
Jim, what amp are you playing here?

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 11:42 am    

Wow, thanks for that link Will, amazing.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 3:13 pm    

Will; Jim was and is playing through his Nashville 400 and also for about as long as I've known him and I've known him for a bazzillion years...ha....
Also that was his very rare first year(1964) Wraparound Emmons; which he traded to Herb Steiner a few years ago for the Rick Price '65 Wraparound...which you see him play on TrueCountry.
Ricky

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2016 9:05 pm    

Thanks Ricky! For anyone who doesn't know, Jim has two absolutely killed records available. You can stream them on Spotify if you're into that kind of thing, or buy them here: http://www.jimloessberg.com/
They are some of the few steel records that my bandmates (all jazzers) don't make fun of me for listening to. In fact, when I show jazzers the bebop record they are floored by Jim's vocabulary. Not to start a controversy, but some steel records have lackluster band performances that sound more like band in a box than guys playing in a room. Jim's records have excellent performances, are recorded well, and feature some really mind-blowing steel playing.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2016 8:11 am    

Well said, Will.

Lavon Chappell

The Heart of Dixie
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2016 6:30 pm    

He could be confused with the late Dickey Overbey who played a sho bud. He was also Amber Digby step dad.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2016 7:00 am    

Will, thanks for that clip, I haven't seen that. I think Jim is one of the best backup steel players alive and always plays so tasteful with every note seeming to be just right. He can also play anything else you want to hear.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2016 12:05 am    

jim is a player who plays what my ears like Very Happy
one of my favourites.
he also hosts a radio show as far as i know
they have straight country there.
ksey seymour texas