The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Peavey Session 115
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2016 8:14 pm    

Ouch ! That's too much. There are lots of other,better options in that price range.

Michael Febbie

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 5:24 am     session 113

For that price you can get a Quilter Steelaire 115.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 4:28 pm    

Or a mint Webb for that matter..Smile
With that being said... Pat replaced my leg switch former of charge...
Thanks PQ!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2016 6:32 pm     New Session 115 Price

Add another hundred to it...their saying $1799.. to much for my pockets!! and that don't include the external speaker.
JC

Jeff Triplett

Virginia Beach, VA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 9:32 am    

I'm sure Peavey will solve the technical issues with the amp. However, I believe the price is going to be a deal breaker for allot of players myself included.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 9:50 am    

It sounds like they've got above their raisin'. Sad

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:13 am     session 115

Stu Schulman wrote:
I'm gonna need a session 115...How Much? Winking

$1800 without the extension speaker is what is being said.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:26 am    

haha...it might be time to revisit the hartley peavey 'undercover boss' episode.
sorry it had to come down to this after years
of being my favorite company!
luckily i still have amps from 'the good era'!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:38 am    

$1,800, you can buy 5 or 6 time proven Peavey amps for that price! Whoa!

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:50 am     session 115

Erv Niehaus wrote:
$1,800, you can buy 5 or 6 time proven Peavey amps for that price! Whoa!

I am thinking my old Nv400 and Session 500 are going to be used for awhile longer until they kick the bucket... Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:53 am    

Jeff,
You and me both! Very Happy

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:55 am     session 115

To be honest there is no way I would put that much money in one amp .... not even a tube amp.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 1:18 pm    

Personally.....Im disappointed....Here we are 5 plus decades into PEDAL STEEL GUITAR innovation, and Peavey, with ALL their resources, have not brought in a home run hitter...Ill take a used 614-E, any day of the week...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2016 1:36 pm    

From what I heard coming out of that 115 in Dallas my Webb would blow it out of the water, and that is sad.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 16 Mar 2016 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Febbie

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 6:47 am     Webb amp and 614E

I'm sorry but I've never heard of thoses two amps. can some one alaburate, hey that's a nice word but think I spelled it wrong. explain them.

Mike

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 7:14 am    

What an excellent way to convince Peavey to throw up their hands and ditch the whole project.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 7:29 am    

Exactly right Rick.

Here I was with a PROTOTYPE to get opinion, good and bad, and everyone is treating it like it is the final product.

Wake up folks.

You all asked for a new amp, more powerful than the 112, with a 15" speaker, lighter weight and onboard effects.

This is what Peavey is doing and listen to all the griping about the PROTOTYPE. Blows my mind.

Makes me wish I had played it onstage, even with his needed some adjustment, just to show that we are CLOSE to a heavy hitter.

Price, yep pretty expensive maybe, but in real dollars, probably not.

The Nashville 400 was over $600 35 years ago.

Will I buy one? I don't know. I have 4 american made NV112's and I am almost 69 years old. Do I need another amp, no!
But do I support Peavey and their support of steel guitar. YES I DO.
That is my opinion. You have a right to yours.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 8:04 am    

I would be the first to admit and say that Peavey have been fantastic in making great reliable products available to steel players for many years. I have 9 Peavey amps in my garage. For years they were the only company who made affordable amps to the masses in steel guitar land.

What was the point of taking the amp to Dallas if there are problems with it because it is still not completely out of the design stage? There were quite a few people at Dallas who wanted to hear high end audio that they have come to expect. Word quickly spread around the place that the amp had acute problems. The fact that the price was kept secret until the amp was unveiled only raised expectations.

The amp could still prove to be a 'big hitter', but first some work needs to go into the prototype to bring it up to the standard that most expect. If the amp was brought to Dallas merely for show as a prototype, displayed as such and the price announced, I think people would have accepted that. The fact that it was plugged in and made available for demo proved to be a bad move in my opinion. Human nature means that the amp would be compared to its predecessors and competitors, and in that aspect it just didn't cut it.

I heard Mike Johnson playing through his LTD 400 last night and it sounded exceptional. That amp, the Session 400 and Nashville 400 were brilliant and reliable classic steel guitar amps. Why fix what ain't broken? JMHO.
Embarassed
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 8:38 am    

Bottom line Bill,

There was great expectation for this amp and the folks went to the Peavey room in great numbers to view it and hear it. For me after the 4th visit the amp was still not working. Even it is a prototype, it should be working to some extent. This amp was not even close to operational.

Perhaps a rush to market IMHO.

I have nothing against Peavey or their products whatsoever and I am grateful that they do focus some products on our instrument. This may have just been premature.

M

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 8:40 am     I agree with Rick

Anytime I come out with something new and all I hear is negative comments I just want to quit too.

Prototypes are just that a first shot at something. I have a couple seats used in my shop that are prototypes and seats are easy compared to amps.

When I started building Seat-Amps I heard lots of negative comments - I knew going in that everyone would not want one it was for a specific market that is now being filled the "bedroom player" that wanted less space taken up in their music room.

I have had a 112 for a long time and they are great - just give them a chance and it will be worked out.

my 2 cents

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2016 11:00 am    

I just think they need to dump the effects and have a simple clean amplifier (with good tone controls). Everyone has a different taste in effects with some folks not needing or wanting any. Just provide an effects loop or something along that line and let the buyers provide their own choosing (or lack thereof) of effects.

I think Scotty pretty much said it in one of the Star Trek movies, "The more you overhaul the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain". Keep it simple and clean.

Just my 2 cents as nobody listens to me anyway.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 9:03 am    

I was at the Dallas show and was hoping to hear the new Session amp. I made a couple of trips to the Peavey to hear it in action but wasn't able to....did have a good conversation about it with Mike Brown though. I knew that this was a prototype and what that might mean. Peavey will get things right by Dallas 2017.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 10:46 am    

I own 2LTD 400's Maybe I'll just send the heads to Peavey one at a time to be gone through?.I love the way they sound,I'm also a fan of spring reverb Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2016 8:53 am    

Here's my two cents worth.

I had a Peavey Session 400 back in the day, and when it got destroyed (on stage by lightning), I bought a Session 500 which I loved (after putting casters on it) for many years. I have two Nashville 112 (one for TX, one for MD) which I sort of like and which I use for some purposes. I also remember a time when Peavey was the only major amp builder targeting pedal steel guitarists.

However, thirty-some years later, times have changed, and I think our ears may have changed a bit too. The older Peaveys were, and still are, to my ear, bright and clear with a very focused bass and tons of headroom, but now there seems to be more of an appreciation for "warm" and clean which is why so many of us are going to tube amps like Fox, Milkman, Surgical Steel, Little Walter etc. or for solid state amps (which tend to be less labor intensive for the user) but which can achieve a warm sound (I've had good experiences with both the Quilter and the new Telonics amp). Hearing the pedal steel with that nice clean warm presence and that indescribable sound on the lower strings has really spoiled me.

Also, I agree with Keith Hilton about the effects. I've never liked the effects on amplifiers (including the Peaveys - I remember, was it a flanger on the old Session 500). I prefer to use my own reverb, my own analog delay, and my own distortion pedal (on the rare occasions when that is necessary). I also think weight and price (especially with a solid state amp) play into it as well.

My two cents and my best wishes to a great company (who actually listens to us while developing a product) on their Session 115.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2016 3:56 pm    

Thanks Susan for your interesting, yet concise commentary.

As Bill mentioned, this is a prototype. Nothing is set in stone with this product/project, yet. Enjoyed meeting Mike Brown and listening to his technical feedback and appreciate his reciprocal exchange.

While Peavey owes the steel guitar community nothing, it is admirable that they are offering this microscopical market another product.

When it returns from "Prototype" Hell, I'll be inclined to support this project!

My .02 Shocked