The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mixin brands of strings?
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 2:19 pm    

Do you guys mix your strings. I mean if you have SIT strings on your guitar and break a string, would you put a Jagwire in it's place, or do you always put the same brand back on? would mixin them screw your sound up? just wonderin, I have several different brands of strings I've collected over the yrs, and just wondered if usin two different brands would effect your sound.

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 3:05 pm    

Last spring I decided to use up some strings I had in an old box in the closet. All of the right gauges were there, but they were mixed brands and vintages. BIG mistake!!

That mixed set drove me crazy. I couldn't get my good tone to save my life. It would be right for one string, then wrong for the next. Lead lines would be switching timbre on every note. Totally nuts!

Lazy as I am, I actually played that way for a month. It's probably the stupidest thing I've done since the day I married my ex-wife. I ended up giving the rest of that box of strings to my neighbor, who's a (very) amateur guitarist. I told him that if he decided he didn't like them, just throw them out.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (C6add9),
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6),
Roland Handsonic, Line 6 Variax

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2004 4:56 pm    

I would have no problem mixing certain brands -- certainly the unwound since most unwound strings are just regular old 'music wire' anyway. Wound strings are a bit different. I would never mix nickel alloy wound and stainless, but I've mixed SIT, GeorgeL, and GHS Stainless strings with no problems at all -- as long as the gauges are correct. Where you might run into trouble is mixing more exotic strings like the Cobra Coil with stainless or nickel strings of other brands.

I buy them in bulk by the dozen, sometimes from Musician's Friend (used to have SIT, but now the're Rogue) or JustStrings off the net. I've used GeorgeL compound wound 079 as my bottom string on my U12 guitars with whatever other brand(s) of stainless I happen to have with few problems.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Walter Haynes

Bullard.Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2004 12:34 pm    

Since I switched to Jagwires I have never had to use different brands of strings. I use an 11.5 on my 3rd and have never broken on yet!! Jags are without doubt the best I have ever used period-------

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2004 7:31 am    

Walter, I now use Jagwire strings exclusively too. Got to get me some 11.5 tho. I never tried that guage. When are you coming down to Nashville on Thursday night so you can hear me pick? I see your son-in-law all the time. When you get a break in the action come and have some good food with us.
Gere

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2004 9:59 am    

I'll mix them up, too - no problem, unless I put on a really old string by mistake! I don't know what a string's shelf-life is, but they sure go dull after a certain time even just sitting in the package. I play mostly Emmons strings, but still have some SITs in the drawer.

RR

PS: b0b - I bet I'm lazier than you, though!

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 15 June 2004 at 11:01 AM.]