The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody use drop tuners?
Mike OMalley

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2016 5:40 am    

I'm still thinking about making a new lap steel, either six or eight string. Wondering about using these

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=87

I've never used a drop tuner like those so I have no experience with them. But thinking of tuning, say to C# in C6 and switch between C and C# instantly. You could probably also set them up to use as an effect, change chords from major to minor etc.

Are they reliable--do they give you a reliable pitch when you switch them? In general I really like hipshot's products, but I suspect you'd need top retune anyway after you switched it

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2016 9:03 am     String Drop

Those Hipshots look really nice! I wonder how many you could fit on a headstock?
I've been using a device called the "String Drop" from Tim Wallis. It's sort of like the Scruggs tuners on a 5-string banjo.
I do have to tweak the strings a little between the tunings, but it's a lot faster than re-tuning from the peg.
http://www.timarastringbenders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD1

The tuning is (High to Low):
string
#1 = e
#2 =C/C#
#3 =G#/A
#4 =F#/G
#5 =Eb/E
#6 =C/C#
#7 =A
#8 =F

With those changes I can get these tunings on a single neck 8-string:

C6th= e C A G E C A F
A6th= e C# A F# E C# A
B11th= e C# A F# Eb C#
C#m= e C# G# F# E C#
C6/A7= e C A G E C# A

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2016 8:30 pm    

The Hipshots are great but they are designed to work only the low E string on a guitar. I've used the Wallis Stringdrop and like them. Ive never put more than 2 on any one guitar,though.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Last edited by K Maul on 17 Feb 2016 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 3:00 am    

It seems like an idea that is backward.
Whoa!

It feels like we are trying to -re-invent a lighter version of a pedal steel that doesn't take your hand control away and gives you the flexibility.

Oh Well

I remember seeing there were vintage Lap Steel Guitar back in the day that would change tuning only but keeping them in tune was hell. It was on the path to the development of the pedal steel.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

K Maul

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 3:59 am    

Yes

I have 3. One on a Tele I use for bottleneck slide,2 on lap steels. Not perfect but nice to have 3 tunings at the flip of a lever.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 8:29 am    

And then you can do something like this:

K Maul

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2016 10:16 am    

I have one of these babies on a dobro and it is unbelievably stable and accurate. I go between G (GBDGBD) & D (DADF#AD) without a hitch.

https://youtu.be/3FP_Zw30ZpY

Vladimir Sorokin

Russia
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2016 3:33 pm    

Just installed the Hipshot Double Shot, it's GREAT!
But I also want to try the drop-tuner to make the low-E tuning possible Winking

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2017 11:40 am    

I too have recently had the Doubleshot installed on my beautiful Benoit square neck resonator. I can't say enough about how useful this changer device has become! I use it for the open D tuning in about 1/3 of the songs on gigs. No way I would be retuning that much on stage and I wouldn't bring two dobros either...I would probably end up playing blues and rock songs on the G tuning, which is "too pretty" sounding.

(By the way, I bought mine from Dean Nickless custom guitars in Big Pine Key, FL which is where I live half the year. Of course I had him install it as well. He is VERY reasonable and ultra nice and reliable to work with. You can reach him at whnickless@gmail.com)