The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacement Leg Bushings
Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:04 pm    

Well the saga continues with stuff I need to make right on the Remington SD12 I recently bought. The clutch on one of the rear legs wouldn't loosen up to allow me to adjust the height, so tonight I got ambitious and went after it. Turns out the bushings are all missing. Somewhere along the way a previous owner stuffed something up in the leg to keep the lower leg from sliding back up in and stuck a rubber o-ring in the knurled ring to keep the leg from rattling around. Anyone know if the bushing can be bought to fix the leg, or am I screwed and have to buy a new set?

Thanks

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:22 pm    

Use the stuck leg for one of the front ones that doesn't need to be adjusted.

Also most legs are pretty standard. You could just buy one or find the couple parts you need and fix it.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:41 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
Use the stuck leg for one of the front ones that doesn't need to be adjusted.

Also most legs are pretty standard. You could just buy one or find the couple parts you need and fix it.

Thanks Bob. I could do that, but I would like to fix it correctly. Been looking for used legs to either replace the one, or salvage parts from to fix mine, but no luck yet. Everything on the forum seems to have been snatched up, or is really expensive. I would love to fix this without spending $100.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 1:25 am    

Don Burrows, of BSG steel guitars (see the "links" section up top) sells them in pairs: the plastic and metal. Reasonably priced.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 2:55 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Don Burrows, of BSG steel guitars (see the "links" section up top) sells them in pairs: the plastic and metal. Reasonably priced.

Awesome, thanks Lane. Buy the way, I ended buying a Pedal Steel Mini from Tim. It's a 12" combo in black tweed with the Alnico speaker upgrade. Unbelievable amp.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 4:56 pm    

You can buy an Atlas Sound mic stand repair kit (part No. MSC-K) for about $16 online, or at most music stores. A better deal is to check music stores or flea markets for a used mic stand, as they can often be had for $10-$15. Winking

Man, I've fixed a ton of them. In about 90% of the cases where players complain the legs slip, the legs have just been taken apart, and then reassembled wrong.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 5:06 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
You can buy an Atlas Sound mic stand repair kit (part No. MSC-K) for about $16 online, or at most music stores. A better deal is to check music stores or flea markets for a used mic stand, as they can often be had for $10-$15. Winking

Man, I've fixed a ton of them. In about 90% of the cases where players complain the legs slip, the legs have just been taken apart, and then reassembled wrong.

There are no bushings in mine at all. looks like a bunch paper stuffed in the leg to keep the lower leg from slipping all the way up in, and a rubber o-ring in the clutch to keep the leg from making noise.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 5:20 pm    

Donny, Don's are much less, and appear identical to the Atlas. And he's one of us. I'm thinking they're around 4 bucks.

Gino Cecchetto

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 5:26 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Donny, Don's are much less, and appear identical to the Atlas. And he's one of us. I'm thinking they're around 4 bucks.

He's already emailed back, $6 plus $4 shipping. Thanks Lane, this was the low cost fix I was hoping for.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 11:38 am    

I have the same problem with one of my legs. I purchased the clutch replacement kit but can't figure out how to install it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2020 12:05 pm    

Take one of the good legs apart.