The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Barrel Thread Size
William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 2:48 pm    

I am trying to work up a jig for polishing a few dozen Sho-Bud barrels (as in rack & barrel) and have run into a brick wall. Best I can determine, the thread size of these little beauties is 12-40 UNS. That's not a very common thread size at all. I need a machine screw (1 1/2 to 2" length)and a couple of nuts of this thread size and do not seem to find them available anywhere. My intended purpose is to chuck these barrels up into a drill and spin them whilst polishing.

Any chance one of you pack rats, and that's definitely a complimentary term in my world, happen to have something in your junk box that can get me back on track? Thanks in advance for considering this somewhat odd request.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 3:27 pm    

Will,
They'll sure buff up quickly. Why not just lightly put them in a drill press , buff one half, then flip them and do the other half. Then I'd lightly spray them with something to keep them from oxidizing and turning ugly. Keep the spray off the threads. RP

Last edited by Ron Pruter on 4 Feb 2016 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 3:36 pm    

or just use the set screw to lock them onto a short length of 1/8" rod and put the end of the rod into the drill chuck

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 3:43 pm    

Good one , Ian. Maybe the set screw would protrude a little and mess you up a little in that area, but good idea. RP

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 3:56 pm    

Thanks Fella's,

I'm trying for max RPM's here, and yes, the set screw does protrude and catch on the polishing cloth. Maybe I'll try a shorter set screw if I can find one of those. Truthfully, I don't relish the thought of cutting one of these set screws down in length (how to hold the short sucker?). I could also chuck up the barrel directly, but I'm trying to avoid gouging them while I'm trying to improve them. But I may end up here too. Perhaps a padded chuck vice? You see, you've already given me an idea I hadn't thought of before. Bravo! I certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 6:01 pm    

It's been a long time since I had a Sho-Bud with barrels, but I think the thread is 1/4-24. I guess 12-40 is an actual thread size, but it's not common, I've never seen anything that size. I believe that Mike Yahl makes new barrels, he would know for sure.

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 8:23 pm    

William,
On such a small part, why not remove the set screw and shine them with a Dremel tool and some mag wheel polish. Incidentally, this is also an excellent way to make your finger picks sparkle.

Craig

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 8:35 pm    

Craig - Dremel's have a 1/8" chuck - how would one chuck this barrel up in that small of a tool. That's precisely why I'm looking for the proper sized screw - to do just exactly that. I can use a piece of 1/8" rod and use the set screw to secure it and have attempted that. However, the set screw interferes (see above). Thanks.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 9:54 pm    

I'm not sure you really need to do what you're suggesting to get a nice polish on brass, but when I need to turn something really small with a concentric center hole I just use an appropriately sized machine screw (probably a 6-32 in this case), cinch the part up on it with a nut and chuck the end of the screw. Just be really careful if you're doing this in a drill press as too much side pressure could bend the screw and send the part flying at a high rate of speed. Best if you could do it in a lathe with a tail stock and a live center, but you could probably rig something that would act the same to support and keep the lose end centered on your drill press.

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 11:14 pm    

William,
I should have made my post more clear. After removing the set screw, hold the Dremel tool in one hand and the barrel in the other hand. I've polished many things that way to a near mirror finish, from wedding bands to tape recorder heads.

Craig

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 11:37 pm    

Okay Craig - Now I finally get your drift. You're suggesting that I chuck up a polishing felt in the Dremel, and then bring the barrel to the spinning tool. Exactly the opposite what I was attempting - with spinning the barrel in a tool and bringing the polish to it. Your wedding band explanation finally clicked for me. Many thanks!

Craig Baker

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 5:05 am    

William,
I suppose you could mount the Dremel in a bench vice and keep one hand free. Which ever way works best for you, please post a picture of the guitar when you're finished.

What on Earth could be prettier than a sparkling Sho~Bud !

Craig

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:11 am    

I do them with my Dremel. You don't need high rpm or the power behind a drill press! Asking for trouble. Get a set screw and grind it shorter so it does not protrude. Put a piece of pull rod in the Dremel, and polish away!

'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

William Liemandt

New Mexico
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 1:32 pm    

John - That's the ticket! Thanks for the tip.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 5:33 pm    

FWIW, you are correct that the threads are #12-40 UNS.

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Nicholas Ackron

Daytona Beach
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2016 2:53 pm    

Mr. Yahl, did you receive the email and picture?

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2016 3:44 pm    

I throw them in the tumbler with walnut shells (sometimes Stainless steel "Jeweler's Mix" first if they are really bad)