The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who is making Emmons steels?
Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 7:40 pm    

I'd like to buy a new Emmons someday. But now that Franklin and Zum are both out of production, it worries me as to when Emmons might come to a halt.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 8:16 pm    

Mike Cass, and possibly some of the other Emmons dealers, are still making the guitars even if the Lashleys appear to have quit.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:24 pm    

Do they have license to build the Emmons guitars? And can you get parts from them? Just in case I ever need parts for my LeGrand D-10

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:43 pm    

that does change the picture some....no more zum, emmons, franklin, infinite....the basic small shop
industries dropping off.
seems to leave room for some new and even better steels to start up.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:46 pm    

Jerry Berger

Nampa, Idaho USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 8:40 pm    

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 10:53 pm    

If you jyst have to own an Emmons your best bet is to purchase a used one. If it needs restoration there are several guys that do that. Billy Knowles, Mike Cass, Tommy Cass and some others.
There are still great choices for new guitars. Show-Pro, MSA, Fessenden, Mullen, Desert Rose, Promat, Justice are a few. They are all good. I personally have an Emmons push pull, Emmons Legrand III, a Zumsteel, a Sho-Bud and have a new Show-Pro on order. I like them all. They each have their own sound qualities, mechanical strengths and weaknesses. There is not one that I wouldn't take to a gig.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 11:50 pm     Re: Who is making Emmons steels?

David Stroud wrote:
I'd like to buy a new Emmons someday. But now that Franklin and Zum are both out of production, it worries me as to when Emmons might come to a halt.

I don't believe that the Emmons company is still making guitars. They might be selling parts. Read http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=287190 - the most recent topic on the subject.

I get the impression that their only business is selling off the remaining parts they have in stock.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2016 2:25 pm    

Making pedal steel guitars is not rocket science. Most builders started off as players. If Emmons guitars are history there are many competent builders to fill their shoes.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 7:55 pm    

what's the latest with the rittenberry prestige? it was making big news a little bit ago.

and russ hicks' steels?
is rains still alive?

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 1:48 pm    

Wow, I had no idea about that recent reputation of Emmons. I'm still a beginner and don't have much money... but I am awfully curious about the other guitars out there. I've been blessed with a Rains SD-10 and love it.... but it's all I know. After reading the responses in this thread, I don't see myself buying a new emmons. I've been under the (debatable) impression that Emmons are better than other steels. Will I get shot if I suggest that Emmons isn't as needed anymore? I'd love to try out a Rittenberry or a Justice to compare to my Rains.... I'm sure I'll see some out at the TSGA Jamboree soon.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 2:00 pm    

David Stroud wrote:
Will I get shot if I suggest that Emmons isn't as needed anymore?

No, you won't get shot for that. Time has marched on...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 2:13 pm    

David, try not to get too caught up in the "grass is greener" thing. All the recent builds of guitars are fine quality. Many of them share similar qualities, including your Rains. I'd say it's as good as anything out there. Unless there's something about it that's uncomfortable to play or the way it fits you, I doubt you'll find a lot of major differences between it and the other recent brands and models.

As far as Emmons goes, no the company probably would not be a viable alternative for a new instrument. However, there are many fine Emmons guitars out there on the used market. I'm working on a 90's LeGrande II for a local player right now that plays and sounds as good as anything I've sat.

The era of middle 90's Jack Strayhorn Emmons guitars are as good as they come. Also there are a bunch of good Emmons mechanics, set up techs etc. out there and parts are available for changes and repair.

For future consideration of Emmons guitars, I would suggest you familiarize and educate yourself on the various eras, models etc. You probably know this, but 60's through about 80, were all original push pull models followed by several models of modern all pull models. All this information is available by searching the forum here.

I would suggest you attend the Dallas Steel Guitar show in Mar. There you can examine and play many brands and models of steel guitars to compare to your Rains.

I hope you don't take my remarks as condescending or patronizing as they are only meant to be helpful. Good Luck and Happy Steelin'. Smile

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 2:28 pm    

Jerry, I'm very appreciative of any knowledge I can gain about pedal steels. Thank you for your response!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 4:58 pm     Buy used

What Johnny cox said.

Plenty of used Emmons available , if you want one. They made plenty, so they're out there. A good used one can be found if that's what you're looking for.

I don't think I would compare the Emmons situation to Zums, Franklins , or Infinity .

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 9:07 pm    

I am currently rebuilding a black Emmons LeGrande htat will be available soon and next will be a black LeGrande short keyhead. There are plenty of used Emmons guitars available. I would also consider a used Zumsteel. I played a lacquer Zumsteel tonight that is as good as anything I have ever played. I don't plan on selling it but I do have a black Zumsteel same as new that I will probably sell soon. A good used guitar is as good as a brand new one for less money.
Jerry

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2016 1:04 am    

Regarding the "LEGRANDE" Steels ( not "LAGRANDE" Steels) they are built like tanks and of the highest quality. The All Pull design is as robust as any modern era ALL Pull Steel. Any of them, Legrands, II's or III's.

There are plenty of excellent USED Instruments at appropriate prices on the market should someone be chasing the Emmons badge. Should one need to be cleaned up, repaired etc, there are plenty of parts around and several really excellent guys with the skill set to do the work. Plus, these are really easy Instruments to work on and setup.

regarding the LATER builds after the Strayhorn era, they are still excellent Steels , there's just not that many of them. Ron Jr. also built excellent Instruments.

Lately we have seen several D10 "L's" in the low to mid 3's...I'm just here ta tell ya, thats a bargain !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jeff Campbell

Knoxville Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2016 12:21 pm     Zum Steels

Did Zum go out of business too? I thought I recently seen they were selling some double necks for $2500?? that seems way less than they should be !!?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2016 1:27 pm    

Bruce announced his retirement, and surprised many when he made a one-off for a teen player last year.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2016 2:04 pm    

I'm a little surprised the (Certified Emmons dealers-Repair stations) haven't checked in. Cass, doesn't spend much time here. No surprise there. But the others do. Maybe they, (Emmons) have really closed after all. I had assumed it was still going to be a mom and pop shop with the help of few hand picked builders - dealers. Hope so. But no big deal to me. Just curious.

b.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 8:10 am    

last we heard not all that long ago was the Emmons building was for sale or lease or something like that. Nobody ever commented that it was not true.

Emmons techs in NC are alive and well, I know of two but there are probably more.Billy Knowles and Doug Palmer are two I know personally.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 9:05 am    

the silence is defeaning!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 10:52 am    

Yes, the building has been for sale for sometime. But I was told Jr. was going to build from a building behind his home. And Mike Cass, Lynn Stafford, and Billy Knowels would also build the orders they took. Is this no longer the case?

b.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 11:01 am    

and why do the lashleys seem so tight-lipped and in communicative about what was once the greatest steel company ever?
doesn't make sense to me. something seems shady or weird. the silence digs a deep dark hole for the steel world.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 11:50 am    

Well I for one am not aware of any open/closed details but If I , being the sole owner of the Emmons company and building Emmons Steel guitars , I would let the world know !