The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CCleaner Questions
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:03 am    

After a cleanup I open Firefox and go to the forum and I'm logged out. Would I uncheck Firefox 'cookies' in CCleaner to keep this from happening? And follow up--would I better off cleaning cookies and logging back in instead? Certainly not a big deal.

And---With Win7 I used to get a pretty good list of registry items to clean up. Since I've gone Win10 I consistently only get, like, 2 registry items to delete. Is Win 10 resistant to CCleaner or is Win 10 just cleaner (or my installation of it) than Win 7?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:38 am     Re: CCleaner Questions

Jon Light wrote:
After a cleanup I open Firefox and go to the forum and I'm logged out. Would I uncheck Firefox 'cookies' in CCleaner to keep this from happening? And follow up--would I better off cleaning cookies and logging back in instead? Certainly not a big deal.

And---With Win7 I used to get a pretty good list of registry items to clean up. Since I've gone Win10 I consistently only get, like, 2 registry items to delete. Is Win 10 resistant to CCleaner or is Win 10 just cleaner (or my installation of it) than Win 7?

After a standard day of browsing, with Firefox still open, launch CCleaner from the desktop or Taskbar icon, but don't run any cleaning. Instead, go to Options > Cookies. Go through the list of Cookies on the left and double click anything pertaining to any websites that you need to log into, or in which you do personalized things (watch videos, visit certain pages or sections, get latest updates, etc). This will move them to the right pane, where they are kept from cleaning.

There isn't much difference at all in the Registry between Windows 7 and 10. If you used to get tons of unneeded Registry entries, but now only get a few, things are as they should be (now). I learned a long time ago that it was a bad idea to allow CCleaner to delete entries found under the second option down: Unused File Extensions. More often than not, this removes an association that causes a program to not launch when you try to open the file type associated with that program. I saw that when it was checked, there were many items listed for removal. Unchecking it left maybe two or three.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 9:59 am    

Thanks.