The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shipping a Pedal steel Guitar. HANDLE EXPOSED OR NO?
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 1:01 am    

I am always shipping steels one way or another. It seems that every time I go to ship a steel its a crap shoot whether or not the Person working the Counter(Fed ex, UPS, USPS, ETC.) is going to make it easy or make the transaction troublesome.
I , for one, like leaving an exposed handle on the case of a steel. I swear I shipped 5-10 steels in this fashion. Lately Ive been getting "YOU must cover that hole!" Or something to that affect. It can be the same person too. One day its okay to have a handle exposed , the next they can't take it. I even went to the post office one day to ship a steel and they told me it was over weight and they couldn't take it.! After 20 minutes of explaining that I've shipped plenty of heavier steels, I decided to say "When". I left that facility and drove 2 miles down the road to another post office and took it in, dropped it off and was told "Have a nice day"
I guess from all this gibberish and ranting , what I want to know is. DO YOU STILL SHIP WITH HANDLE EXPOSED OR NOT? WHAT CARRIER DO YOU USE? THANKS

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 4:01 am    

Jeff, I ship steels with the handle exposed. The hope is that a worker lifting it up more likely to use the handle rather when moving it than the "grab and toss anyway you can method". Also the person may be more likely to put it down properly rather than face down on its underside of the steel where the rods are.

I've been lucky I guess as I've never had any shipper say I could not do that. Also, I've never had any damage to steels I've shipped. Some bit of luck must be involved though.

Curious how other members ship and their rationale. stevet

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 5:34 am     Handle exposed or not?

I've shipped and received steels both ways and had the steels shipped and/or received in good condition. I've used FedEx and UPS, no problem. But... The only time I was not concerned, was when I hand carried, either to sell or buy.

How does Mullen ship? Carrier and packaging? Justice? Zum? Franklin? They would be the ones to ask.

I'm sure there are many horror stories...

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:15 am    

I've used FedEx successfully for many steel shipments.

I do not expose the handle. I don't want the shipping personnel grabbing the handle and "slinging" the 60lb. steel/case onto the conveyor. The handle and screws were not designed/ anchored into the case to take the tork of such a maneuver.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:17 am    

If it's a strap handle, you should be ok. If its a handle that is movable, it's riskier. I had a steel, with this type of handle, shipped exposed. It arrived safely, but the handle was gone.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:23 am    

I'm not sure if it's the norm for the Williams Guitar Co., but my new guitar came in a box with the handle exposed. There were large brightly colored arrow stickers on the top & bottom, pointing to the handle, making the handle more obvious to the package handlers. I'm not sure how the box was handled during it's journey, but the delivery guy carried it to my door like a suitcase.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 7:00 am    

I always ship pedal steels with the handle exposed and available for use. And like stated above, I have arrows pointing to the handle. The way I pack my guitars, the handle is not sticking out. I usually wrap the case in 1" Styrofoam and then cardboard over that.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 8:30 am    

Tom Campbell wrote:
I've used FedEx successfully for many steel shipments.

I do not expose the handle. I don't want the shipping personnel grabbing the handle and "slinging" the 60lb. steel/case onto the conveyor. The handle and screws were not designed/ anchored into the case to take the tork of such a maneuver.

Pedal steel guitars and amps DO NOT RIDE THE CONVEYOR.
They go from dock to sorting area and back to dock on a Victorian Era cart: 1" sides, solid (not pneumatic) rubber tires, no suspension. The danger they face is from bouncing off the cart, or from stuff shifting in transit.
A friend who works in the handling side recommends accessible handles.
I work for FedEx Ground, but the big three all use the same system.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 12:31 pm    

James Morehead gave me a great tip on the last guitar I shipped to him. He had me go to the pet store and get a nylon dog collar. Clipped it onto the handle rings, and covered the strap handle hole with cardboard so the original handle was not exposed. Worked great!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 3:04 pm    

Lane, I worked 23 years for FedEx Express and everything went down coveyers at our stations! I've seen Logjams at the turns where any package under 80 lbs got filled onto the floor three feet onto concrete. The only packages on carts were the recycles that got missed going down the belts. I bought a guitar once and had it shipped FedEx. When it came down the belt my friend working with me loading the trucks grabbed the steel and tossed it into my truck, to save me the effort! Just being helpful, but I was nervous unpacking it. It came through fine,luckily.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:46 pm    

I'm talking FXG (FedEx Ground), which is of course a different company, and its operation is essentially identical to USPS and UPS.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 2:49 am    

This is timely as I'm about to ship a PSG today.

Lane, what's best, FedEx or FXG? Any prejudice aside, of course. Wink

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:08 am    

Ground is cheaper. I'd stick to ground-based. Just brace internally to survive a three foot drop to concrete.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:14 am    

OK. Thanks, Lane.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:29 pm    

sorry you're selling that cool carpsteel, charlie.
hope you got something else on the line.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:39 pm    

I always leave the handle exposed, and so far so good, I worked as a contractor for FedEx Ground for a few years, and I would personally prefer the handle to be out, so I can grab the box better... I sold guitar on eBay once, and buyer called back calling me an idiot for leaving the handle out, wonder how many steel guitars he shipped in his life time... Rolling Eyes

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 5:07 pm    

I weighed the advice and packed the handle away. Packed it real phat, full of peanuts, went FedEx Ground and crossed my fingers.

Thanks, chris. Yeah, I do have another fish on the line, something different.
I'd reached the level of my incompetence--that Peter Principle.
Guess my blue period is over.

Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 6:26 pm     Expose handle

Jeff,
We ship quite a few guitars via FedEx ground, and we always, always build the outer container such that the carrying handle is exposed for the use of the carrier.

Back years ago, we started out NOT exposing the handle and we suffered some serious damage. Never again.
(Oh, and we no longer use UPS 'at all' for shipping guitars or amplifiers.)

Best of luck

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 6:55 pm    

The dog collar is cheap, works great, and protects the original handle! Consider it!
'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 9:22 pm    

What's the deal on insuring steels for shipping? UPS now won't insure anything for over $1000, so I'm told by someone that recently shipped me a guitar. Is it a different story at FexEx Ground?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
Brace the inside compartments where the legs and rods, and the volume pedal, store away, with properly sized blocks of wood.

I've seen several guitars that must have been dropped quite a ways to the floor, and the guitar crashed through the compartment walls. In 2 instances, the screws or nails that held the compartment actually scratched the endplate of the guitar.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 2:11 am    

John McClung wrote:
UPS now won't insure anything for over $1000, so I'm told by someone that recently shipped me a guitar. Is it a different story at FexEx Ground?

Apparently $1000 is a cutoff for FXG; below that, they're not interested whether it's a steel guitar or not.
I imagine above that point is where having insurance come through is iffy. It seems that we have to protect ourselves,
building crash-proof structures inside the box as Lane and McClung have suggested. Having the handle exposed or creating a new one--
I don't see how that will insure they will use it to keep the topside up or prevent the box from being dropped.
The guitar case is, after all, there to protect the guitar, and one must protect the case so it can do its job, it seems to me.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 2:12 am    

for me, 100% of the time recessed with access, folded down, not exposed where it may get snagged .

never had an issue coming or going.

Insurance ?

well I shipped 3 Steels in the last 6 months, one just a month ago, $2K or more insurance, UPS.

No issue.

But you do have to leave the additional signed paperwork for the driver.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 7:28 am    

It's a good idea to slide some cardboard or a sock between the strings and the pickups. This keeps the pickups from coming apart!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 7:35 am    

These stories scare me (and nothing else in the world does).
I don't breathe well until the steel gets there without being a basket case (the steel, that is).

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 8:06 am    

I put two canvas luggage straps around the case to assure that it will never open. Then I use styrofoam insulation sheets to wrap the case. That stuff is cheap, and considering the value of a guitar, worth it to me. Then cardboard. Lots of tape. I like the tape that has the strands of fiberglass(?) in it. Here's a couple pics. You can see the dog collar handle.

'57 Strat, LP Blue
Dozen more guitars!
'52 and '56 Pro Amps