The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Supro 8-String Reissue Sighted At NAMM
Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 1:13 pm    

Supro is reissuing the comet in 6 and 8 string versions! Isn't that cool?

Last edited by Matthew Dawson on 31 Jan 2016 6:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 1:47 pm    

Personally, I would remove the cover.

If they do reissue the cover with the instrument, it would be good to make them slightly different from the originals so people can easily tell the difference.

Dan Lawson

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 2:44 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:

If they do reissue the cover with the instrument, it would be good to make them slightly different from the originals so people can easily tell the difference.

what cover? am i missing something? that plate with 8 holes in it is part of the pickup. take it off and you get not much sound

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 4:28 pm    

Dan Lawson wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

what cover? am i missing something? that plate with 8 holes in it is part of the pickup. take it off and you get not much sound

The cover is not on the instrument in the picture, the Supro rep is assuming that who he's talking to is familiar with the cover. And I think the cover should be there just for the option and the fact that the original Supros had them.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 4:50 pm    

Should be interesting to see if the retooled Supro pup is more faithful to the original as Lollar's.

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 5:13 pm    

What??? It would be really interesting to see. Not knowing if that was actually said or who said it there are a few ways to make an more authentic pickup than I do- one make the bobbins cheaper so the coil will eventually short out with the pole pieces. Two use a slot head pole so it breaks off if you try to twist it too hard. Three make really inconsistent magnets so only a handfull of pickups stand head and shoulders above the majority.
Serious? I have made those for probably 8 years- no one else has made them and I have fixed dozens of them for steel guitar forum members and told countless how to fix them themselves when they had a magnet flipped and sold many sets of magnets to people that have one magnet versions.
Its one thing when someone doesnt like what you do and they have an opinion- I dont chase anyone down for that but its another to spout BS.
Dont believe everything you hear- I never said this before but the guy leading the way always gets shot at. No big but I dont let outright BS slide by.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 6:07 pm    

I was pretty shocked at the statement too by the Supro rep as reported at NAMM. That's a heckuva statement to make.

Did anyone actually hear the Supro at NAMM? Curious as to how it sounded?

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 6:27 pm     Re: Supro 8-String Reissue Sighted At NAMM

Cool that they are bringing back some Supro love in both 6 and 8.

Matthew Dawson wrote:
...The guy at the booth had a hand in the development of the pickup and claims that their pickup is more faithful to the original than the current Lollar offering. ...

Man, its going to be hard to beat Jasons reproduction. To my ear, the Lollar is every bit as good if not better than the best of the originals. Not only do they sound great, but the construction, fit and finish is better than the originals too.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 6:31 pm    

Marvin Gaye, " Ain't Nothin' Like the Real Thing Baby".

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 6:33 pm    

Will the new 8-strings have the same narrow string spacing as the originals? I had one from 1968. Loved the sound, but hated the spacing. Couldn't get used to it.

Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 9:59 pm    

I edited the original post to remove what I heard the SUPRO REP say about their reproduction pickups. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers Jason! I like your pickups!

Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 10:23 pm    

Just from looking at the photo the spacing looks wider than average like the Guyatone eight string Doug had a video on. I like to play with my fingers and could never get use to the spacing on my Stringmaster. I see the prongs or what ever they are called the you attach the pickup cover to or at least it looks like that. I guess I got one of the good string through by valco on my Oahu because I couldn't believe how it sounded through my Mesa Boogie Mark 4 when I got it and it still going strong after 11 years I've had it and it was made in 1955 by the serial number.
I think with the old pickups it's a matter of luck. Like Ry Cooder said in an interview. " he's play a lot of other guitars with the same style pickup as in his Coodercaster but none sounded like it". Who knows where the magic is hidden?
From 1966-1970 I worked for Conn Musical Instruments in Atlanta, Ga. We had hundreds of Supro guitars and Magatone amps and we were the wholesaler for strings, picks, straps, tone bars and every thing for every instrument. We had over a 100,000 springs, screws, pads etc for wind instruments. If I only known. I could have got it wholesale and just stashed it away.

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 12:45 am    

FYI: lap demo etc. starts about 4:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFQv5oSl5g

Dan Lawson

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 11:41 am    

Jouni Karvonen wrote:
FYI: lap demo etc. starts about 4:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFQv5oSl5g

sounds great to me. are we splitting hairs here? i wood love to put one of Jason's pups in my coodercaster but they cost to much for me. maybe someday. right now i have a '48' supro pickup in there. sounds great but i wood love to here how much better JL's is.

Last edited by Dan Lawson on 31 Jan 2016 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 12:43 pm    

woah! i can't believe it. that's hip!
also, that makes this the first 8 string version of the string-through pickup, yeah?

j

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 2:06 pm    

Funnily enough when the guy demos the Amp in the 1st half of the video he does not use a Supro guitar despite lots of them on the wall behind???

As regards the lap steel lets see how much & then hear one in the flesh.

Jason already has nothing to prove he has nailed it with quality and authenticity of tone,I have fitted one of his pickups to a guitar a couple of years back.

I have no hesitation in using the old addage you get what you pay for.

Regards

Lee

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:10 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
woah! i can't believe it. that's hip!
also, that makes this the first 8 string version of the string-through pickup, yeah?

No ... Jason makes an 8 stringer as a special order unit ...

Folks can get excited about the "re-introduction" of this unit ... But let's get a few things clear ...

No one has done more for the "renewed" interest of Hawaiian Steel Guitar pickups ... Than Jason Lollar ... Period

Any "changes" in the "original design" ... Is a function of the "original design" ... Being inferior in many ways ... As "popular" as they may be ... Jason's work On many units has resulted in a much more stable, reliable unit ... Just the facts !

Matthew Dawson

Portland Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 6:41 pm    

I really didn't intend this post to be a referendum on Lollar pickups (which I use and like). I mainly thought some people would be interested that there was a new 8 string lap steel reissue. I have no doubt that Jason's pickup is top notch and all of my experiences with Lollar have been first rate in every way.

I was just trying to relate everything that Dave Koltai, who is featured in the video, said to me. In person, Dave felt really strongly about his pickups being different from the Lollars. I did a little research and Dave is one of the founders of Pigtronix as well as a designer for the resuscitated Supro. It looks like you can email him at suprousa@gmail.com or call him at 917-941-2861 and ask him directly about the supposed differences between the Supro and Lollar reissues. For the sake of clarity I would encourage you to do so.

Now, can we please close this topic and forget I ever said anything about it?

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 8:11 am    

Matthew, sorry if it appeared I was directing my comments to you ... I wasn't Embarassed

A lot of the old steel guitar pickups ... Had inherent design flaws and/or used cost saving subunits ... that, let's say ... "left room for improvement" ...

As a wise fellow once told me ... "Musicians like new stuff, as long as it's exactly like the old stuff" ... Laughing

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 10:05 am    

Matthew Dawson wrote:

Now, can we please close this topic and forget I ever said anything about it?

Matthew, don't sweat it. In your original post which you have now edited you were being the messenger.

"Don't shoot the messenger."

I'm glad you started a thread on the Supro reissue. And I'm glad there is a Supro reissue. One of the most popular steel guitar brands coming back to life. This is an encouraging development in the world of steel guitar.

The players will decide if it's worth it once they hit the street to go for a new one, or just scoop up a vintage version. Or install one of Jason's pickups on a steel or their own version of a "Coodercaster."

As far as the question about the pickup cover, I say ship the new guitars with the cover and give the player the option of leaving it on there or taking it off. I have an early '60s Supro, the first instrument I ever owned which my parents bought new for me along with a Supro amp, and I took about three years of lessons beginning at age nine. I guess I like having the pickup cover on there, because I've played it that way for (yikes!) over 50 years.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 1 Feb 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 2:00 pm    

They did a really good job on the amps and its about time someone else other than me made that pickup. i dont know for sure what was said but I wanted to nip that kind of comment in the bud wether it was relayed accurately or not - I dont know- enough said about that!
Thanks to my pals on the steel guitar forum
Wink

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 9:43 am    

Any photos or videos of the 8 string?