The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it cost-wise to rebuild a Sho-Bud Maveric?
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 4:07 pm    

Hello, folks,

I have access to a Sho-Bud Maveric. I have seen what can be done with them (adding knee levers). I would like to get this one (a 3p x 0 kl setup) and add the 4 levers used on a standard E9 setup. The cost of the Sho-Bud is 500.00.

My question: Is it cost-wise to do this? (ie Fix it up and sell it.......)

Thanks...........................Pat

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 5:04 pm    

Not the best choice. It will probably cost you several hundred bucks for all the necessary parts to add four knees. Doubtful you would ever get your money back out of it. If it's the later and more common "shelf paper" model I would just avoid it entirely. If it's one of the early models with the raised neck and Gumby keyhead, that one is a maybe, but it's still not a simple job unless you're already pretty comfortable with modifying steel guitars and have a good understanding of how pull-release changers work. It will require a fair bit of finagling to get all the modern changes on there, including a couple of strings with both raises and lowers. You could probably pick up a nice used Stage One instead for $800-$900 and sell it down the road for exactly what you paid for it.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 6:15 pm    

There's different kinds of Mavericks, but I'd say that's a little high... and I think the "going price" on one with no levers should be closer to $350-$400.

I also think that newbies should not buy a guitar that needs fixin' or addin' right away. When you're starting to learn how to play, you want to be working on your playing, not working on a guitar. Winking

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 7:10 pm    

Thanks, folks.

I have already kind of talked myself out of doing this, but the guitar is a nice looking one. Ian, it IS the old style with the gumby head, BUT, (for a beginner model?) it has inlay in the neck!
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/5416461132.html

And thanks, Don, for the advice. But, as it is, I tinker a lot, and that is why I was thinking of another unit, to fix/sell.

I have started with a Dekley with a 3p by 5k original setup.(off of Ebay). I have converted it a to a 5 by 5 setup.....ooops, I meant to mention the pedals first....it is a 5 by 5 setup!(ha ha).

Anyway, working on my guitar helped me appreciate what I have more. I have used a way to hook up one rod to more than one pedal on an all-pull system, to add more pedals/levers than a double raise/double lower would allow. (Have other people done this?)

Anyway, thanks! Now! Back to practice. (I still have my Dekley.)
...........................Pat

Last edited by Pat Chong on 29 Jan 2016 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 7:36 pm    

That's actually a pretty cool looking old Maverick Pat, a very early one. It might actually be worthy of adding the upgrades you described, but still not something you're liable to make much of a profit on when complete. It looks like it's been refinished already, seems kind of sunburst-ish.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 9:37 pm    

Offer 'em $400.
Buy it.
Play it.
Learn how to tune & pick.
When you are done and ready to move up, sell it to the next person that wants to start out.
Upgrades? Na.
Are you looking to play steel or make "a profit"?
Best of Luck ! Smile

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 4:22 am    

You know, I can see someday in the future where the old Mavericks could be worth some big dollars if they are original. I mean, they do have a place in steel guitar history...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 6:46 am    

Pat...of course, if you're a good "tinkerer", you don't have to buy knee levers, and you could upgrade for next to nothing. (You can make them out of a few dollars worth of material.) The knee lever kits you see selling regularly for $150-$200 probably have less than $20 in materials; all the money is in the labor. Cool

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 8:42 am    

Dan Chambers

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 10:26 am    

in a word, NO. The Maverick was a marginal steel initially and it still is. the difference being it is now marginal and OLD.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 11:14 am     Re: Is it cost-wise to rebuild a Sho-Bud Maveric?

Pat Chong wrote:
Hello, folks,
My question: Is it cost-wise to do this? (ie Fix it up and sell it.......)

no.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 11:18 am    

Dan Chambers wrote:
in a word, NO. The Maverick was a marginal steel initially and it still is. the difference being it is now marginal and OLD.

Well, I guess you could say that most all of the older pull/release models are "marginal", but they still serve a purpose. People hankering to learn about pedal steel without sinking a grand into a guitar are still out there, and always will be.

The moral of the story is: Not everything that looks like junk is junk, and not everything that looks like a fine guitar is a fine guitar. Whatever works for you, works for you...it's that simple. Back in 1961, I'd have killed for something like this Maverick! Laughing Even now, I wouldn't be afraid to take a decent one on any country, blues, Cajun/Zydeco, or '50s music gig. Sure, there was a time I wanted (and thought I needed) all the bells and whistles - but I'm no longer hung up on gazillions of pedals and levers, and on things like half-stops and compensators.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:22 pm    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
You know, I can see someday in the future where the old Mavericks could be worth some big dollars if they are original. I mean, they do have a place in steel guitar history...

I have thought there might be fun and a few buck to be made hot-rodding Mavericks, but probably, per Scott, the maple ones
might eventually bring more in good original condition. Might just be a cheap investment, even if with a marginal return.

So, per chris, no.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 1:08 pm    

Some of those old Mavericks actually have a pretty good tone. The problem is their limited mechanics.

Some players are taking the pedals off and using them as non-pedal guitars. That might be the best thing to do with them.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 3:29 pm    

If you have to ask about putting extra pedals and knee levers on, then you're not ready to do it.

Pass this guitar up and wait for one to come along that fulfils your needs. I guarantee that, sooner than you realise, you'll want to buy a better instrument, and nobody is going to want a Maverick that's been tampered with unless you're a real craftsman, and real craftsmen rarely work on Mavericks. Winking

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 4:13 pm    

What's the difference between an early Maverick and a Perm?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 4:52 pm    

i love riddles !

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 8:41 am     Riddle answer...........

Hello Lane,
Are you talking about the side-swept appearance of a "perm" on the early "gumby" heads, vs. the sunken "ashtray" key heads on the later models? (Although you did say "difference"......)

........................Pat

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 9:29 am    

I was meaning in the pull train, the guts underneath.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 5:10 am    

My first pedal steel was a Maverick,It didn't have any roller nuts therefore breaking strings every few minutes,Many times drawing blood,I cursed that guitar.A happy day for me was when I sold the Maverick and bought a Sho-Bud 6139. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2016 8:16 am    

Cost wise I don't think it would be worth it but as a player that would be a cool guitar. My first steel was a similar Maverick and it sounded great. Had one knee lever and it was primitive but so were many of the guitars that were played on some of the all time classics.

I'd offer him four hundred bucks and play it to death.