The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic

Do you spend more time on the forum than at your guitar?
Yes, I spend more time on the forum than at my guitar.
57%
 57%  [ 40 ]
No, I woodshed/practice/perform/gig more hours with my guitar than at my computer.
42%
 42%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 69

Author Topic:  Poll: Do you spend more time on the forum than woodshedding?
Todd Monroe

Queen City of the Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 1:38 pm    

I joined the forum for two reasons:
1. Soliciting advice on cleaning my changers
and 2. this poll.
After reading the forum for a few years, and seeing the same names over and over, I wonder if there are others that spend more time researching, contributing, helping, antagonizing, more so than ACTUALLY playing the steel guitar.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 2:21 pm    

Embarassed

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 2:51 pm    

no, not even close ! Cool

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 3:43 pm    

I do (multiple) forums for maybe 1/2 - 1 hour a day, but other online "activities" take another 1 to 2 hours, easy. Half of that is YewToob, and the rest is research/learning for all my other hobbies. Cool

At one time, I was devoted to pedal steel, but now there are many other things that I like more.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 4:21 pm    

I post a lot but I practise more. This forum is a fantastic resource and for me it's a big part of the learning process.

(I'm one of those people who has a strong urge to communicate, but paradoxically I don't care to spend too much time at a computer.)

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 3:47 am    

I am very fortunate to have a job in this unstable economy, but that unfortunately keeps me away from my steel guitars.

When I can't play steel because I am at work, at least I can check in at the Steeelguitarforum from time to time, and that's better than no steel at all!
Dom

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 6:25 am     Interesting question...

First, yes, I spend more time in my computer chair then my steel seat. I probably could and should stop there, but...

Anyone young to playing steel guitar, has the internet. Since its roll out (The World Wide Web was developed in 1989), it's content has grown exponentially and continues. With the development of Skype, YouTube and "The Cloud" we have steel guitar material and instruction available literally at out finger tips. And we have the forum, where any question about any aspect of steel guitar or relative equipment, can be asked with a high degree of certainty of being answered. Sorry, I cannot see that as a bad thing.

I believe that if Jeff Newman were here today, he would be all over this form of instruction.

With such a powerful distraction, each player must weigh the time spent on the forum against the time spent practicing, as it pertains to that players goals relative to steel guitar.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 6:33 am    

Sadly, Yes... I must have a severe form of ADD... but when I do get back there, all of a sudden it’s 4 hours later... it’s the getting back there that I find difficult... Oh Well Confused Embarassed
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 7:28 am    

Confession is good for the soul.

"Survey says...." Yes, people who are busy picking aren't responding, but there so much more here when you need it--
the music offered, family, a social medium instead of wasting our lives on Fakebook at times when you're between gigs or between guitars.
Yeah, Jeff Newman might have been all over it, using the place to teach and reach more. Hard to beat the level of talent and ability here.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 7:47 am    

I'm ashamed to say that I waste too much time on the internet. The Steel Forum only accounts for a tiny fraction of that time.

Well, okay - it's not all wasted. Sometimes I'll find something fascinating and relevant to my various interests and obsessions. Music and, by association, steel guitar is just one.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 12:04 pm    

keep in mind, todd, that many on here, myself included, put in zillions of hours learning, practicing and performing for 30 years or so before the steel forum existed. and many years before the internet existed, amazingly enough. it may be you who has some 'catch up' to do.

Todd Monroe

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 12:27 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
keep in mind, todd, that many on here, myself included, put in zillions of hours learning, practicing and performing for 30 years or so before the steel forum existed. and many years before the internet existed, amazingly enough. it may be you who has some 'catch up' to do.

Hey, man. You're one of the reasons I joined the forum. Every time I read a chris ivey post, I'm was all "Hell yeah, old man! He's telling it like it is." With all the bible beaters on the forum, I always thought of you as the super-cool beer drinking former outlaw.
Who said "catch up"?

I'm a three year player and the pedal steel probably fits as my fourth or fifth instrument. I'll readily admit I've got a lot of work to do. I'll also admit to having nothing but respect for lifetime players of ANY instrument.

I mean no disrespect, but I didn't really see anything from this poll that put me up in an ivory tower.

Cripes, I was even thinking about putting "chris ivey is right" as my posting signature.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 1:23 pm    

When I was new to steel, I spent a perverse amount of time here in my quest for knowledge. Lately, I pop in for a few minutes a few times a day. I definitely play more steel guitar than that!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 4:00 pm    

good comeback, todd. we're best friends now. Cool

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 4:39 am    

I consider myself more as a fan of music than a musician. Although it's silly to bring up percentages I would say the ratio is 75 to 25%. Same with participating in the Forum and practice.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 6:25 am    

Chris' reputation precedes him; must be something to it, but...
Todd Monroe wrote:
Cripes, I was even thinking about putting "chris ivey is right" as my posting signature.

... that'd just be wrong!

The initial results were more interesting, no replies but 2/1 Forum/woodshedding, now 60/40.
I'll be interested to read the OP's summation of results. Neutral

Mostly, this place cuts into my time writing about more serious matters, tho it helps me keep my humor up....

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 7:55 am     Okay I voted

This thread has the potential to degenerate into WWIII or even worse ...... into posts worthy of "Don't Understand". I think for a new player that reading all the collective wisdom stored here in the forum combines with their practice time to create an even greater level of mastery of the instrument. It is equivalent to buying instructional material and using the material to practice. My conclusion is that reading the forum AND woodshedding, together are more powerful than either alone. The implication of the poll is a subtle or not so subtle criticism that practicing and playing are superior than delving into the Forum, or even that certain members should sit down and shut up. In fact in real life, both activities do take place, folks read the forum as well as practice at their steels. Delving into the forum positively influences the level of steel playing. It's something of a snide criticism to say certain members should be doing more practicing and less posting. And that is what is implied in the poll.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 9:42 am    

Richard, you read between the lines. Good point!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 10:46 am    

Time to read the OP again.

Todd Monroe wrote:
I wonder if there are others that spend more time researching, contributing, helping, antagonizing, more so than ACTUALLY playing the steel guitar.

So he's including himself, to be fair.

Todd Monroe

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:30 pm    

snide criticism. implications.
Call it what you guys want. I just thought to myself, "How much better would I be if I spent ALL my time at the guitar rather than debating JI/ET?"
Wondered if anyone felt the same.
My summation, Charlie, is the results are results. I thought it was a benign, honest question. Zero condescension implied.
Makes me rethink my next poll idea:
Is Robert Randolph a bigger pioneer than Buddy Emmons?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:37 pm    

Good summation. No condescension taken.

And good next poll: go for it.
Any snideness means: they like you.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 3:24 pm    

When I first read the heading, my immediate thought was, "Yes, I spend a lot more time on the Forum than I do in the woodshed." I've never heard the expression "woodshedding" before. I had visions of chopping wood for the winter. Shocked

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 4:01 pm    

I spend much more time on the forum. Smile

Tom Keller

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 10:45 pm    

I have been playing four nights a week but unfortunately between gigs, my steel never comes out of the case. Unfortunately, the level of musicianship here in Florida is so low that there is no inspiration to practice. Most People who I play with or come to see me play wouldn't know the difference between me and Buddy.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 9:03 am    

I probably spend more time on this forum than on any other activity. Still, I know some of you guys have me beat. I suppose it's an addiction of sorts.