The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Killing Win10 on my laptop - UPDATE
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 11:35 pm    

There might be a misunderstanding . My laptop is not a Dell. My Dell laptop died a very painful death 2 years ago I was just commenting that the 160gb drive that I took out of that Dell boots and works fine in my laptop (Lenovo). Win10 worked fine on my laptop, and has been for a while. My problem is that I need a larger hard drive. My Windows 10 recovery usb drive I made immediately after upgrading to Win10 is what MS says will allow you to make a clean install. That is where my problem is. It won't make the clean install. I haven't worked on it this week because of the news I got about having strokes. That has me fairly upset.

Jim Priebe

Queensland, Australia - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:04 am    

Richard, the brand is really immaterial as long as it is a big brand one (Lenovo is as they have inhereted lots of IBM there). The point I make is if there is sufficient volume it seems to bring out custom mainboards just to suit one particular model and along with that can come some specific things in the BIOS. Your new hard drive may not be perfectly compatible with the board (SATA 1, 2 and 3 etc.). Maybe a BIOS update would fix it OR are there some BIOS settings to be altered for this newer larger hard drive?
As I said I sympathise with your problem as they are SO frustrating. Laptops are a pet hate of mine as I have large hands and just working on them is a pain. I use a couple of eEEPC's (ASUS) for playing backing tracks which are very small so when they go down it's just horrible. I replaced a screen in the 7" one - it took me all day to get the tiny connectors hooked up again.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 1:34 pm    

Jim. Here are the specs for the hard drives. They all say SATA, but don't say SATA 1, 2, 3...

Original drive: Western Digital WD3200BPVT 320GB SATA 3.0gbps (works in laptop)

New Drive: Seagate ST750LM022 750gb SATA 3.0gps (does not work)

Drive from dead Dell: Seagate ST9160310AS 160gb SATA 3.0gps (Works in laptop)

They all look to be the same. Is there something else to look for. I'm going to try to install Linux on the new drive and see if it will install. I expect it won't.

I need to get back on this. Haven't had any motivation. I found out Monday that I had 3 small strokes on my right side of the brain, and one moderate one on my left side. That's had me pretty screwed up this week. I'm sorry for the rant. I still hate MS, but shouldn't be so bitter towards them on here. Have been having trouble with anger lately. Neurologist said that is likely to be caused by the strokes.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 1:40 pm    

I just found an article about checking for and installing current BIOS drivers for Win10. It would be interesting to see if there is an update that I need. Didn't realize I could update the BIOS on this computer.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2016 10:39 am    

UPDATE:

Computer finally died. The screen, even during POST, gets crazy with color lines blocking the stuff on the screen. You can't even click on things, unless they happen to show through between clusters of lines. Windows 10 does actually boot up, but it takes about 30 minutes to bring up the desktop, if it actually does finally come up. Most of the time, after you sign in, the screen goes black, and never comes back, and I left it on for over an hour and it never came back. I don't know if it's a computer or Win10 problem. Sounds like a computer problem. I still want to see if installing linix on the 750gb hard drive will work on that computer.

I still don't understand why it won't use the larger (750gb).

My sister had a home business, and recently retired. She gave me one of the laptops she used. It is a Lenovo, with 16gb of RAM, 1tb hard drive, Win10.

So, I think I am set now.