The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  An engineering/metallurgy question
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2016 5:41 am    

On some guitars (Sho Buds come to mind), the shaft is exposed at either end, so one could presumably experiment with many different materials without dismantling the whole changer.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 5:50 pm     Re: An engineering/metallurgy question

C E Holden wrote:
Curious--
On the older ZB guitars, the changers had stainless radius caps on the string fingers. Would there be a reason not to make the whole string finger out of stainless? (other than cost). I'm not talking about the whole actuator--just the finger. Galling problems?
Interested to know.
Thanks,
CE

I had thought of doing this on one of my guitars(because of the grooving on the fingers)but was told it(radius caps) would ruin the tone. What you're saying is that it would brighten the tone/ Saw some SS banding that would be about the right width, may try it later on, no problem to remove if it doesn't work.Hmmmmm.

BF

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2016 12:24 am     Re: An engineering/metallurgy question

Bill Ford wrote:
... was told it (radius caps) would ruin the tone. What you're saying is that it would brighten the tone

To some guitar/player combinations brighten might mean ruin, but when I swapped my steel axle for brass it brightened the tone for the better. Try it - like you say, you can always take it off.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2016 10:32 am    

I was a rep for an importer of ZB pedal steels in the early to mid 1970's. One time, Zane sent over 20 aluminium (as we call it in the UK) caps, and asked if I could try them out on my guitar to see if I could hear any difference in tonal quality and sustain over the normal stainless steel ones.

I reported back that I could detect absolutely no difference whatsoever. Zane seemed quite pleased with that response, as he had already invested in a large quantity of aloominum (as you pronounce it in the US) caps.

I have always felt that having replaceable changer caps was a stroke of genius. If grooving takes place on the cap it is a 5 minute job to replace it. It is also a fraction of the hassle of trying to polish/sand out grooves from a standard type changer finger roller.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 6:08 am    

I have two ZB's with replaceable caps. WHen I fist got my last one I wondered why it did not sound like my first one. I soon realized that they caps on the new one were aluminum and my older guitar had stainless. Huge difference to my ears. I soon obtained stainless caps for my newest guitar and it now sounds like a ZB should. Subsequently, I have had new stainless changer fingers made for my Marlen by Michael Yahl and they improved the tone immensely. I only wish there was a maker today that would offer the option. I've asked a few and they just laugh at me saying the cost to machine is too great. If nothing else, they should make them with replaceable caps like Zane.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2016 8:18 pm    

I Believe Aluminum 7075 T6 is The Hardest Aluminum Alloy. ?

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2016 5:45 pm    

I found out the hard way on a problem with the finger caps on a 1969 ZB Custom. The last set in a dimly lit smoke filled club I broke a third string and decided to play the rest of the set without it. While turning it over to put it in the case the cap fell off without me hearing or seeing it.
Upon getting it set up to replace the string I found out the cap was missing do I took one off the C6th neck whichI don't play much.
I saw Zane Beck at a steel show and mentioned it and he sent me two of them no charge.
Great guy.
Sorry about going off subject.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 1:24 pm    

Roger Shackelton wrote:
I Believe Aluminum 7075 T6 is The Hardest Aluminum Alloy?

The hardest that's commonly available, I think, slightly harder than mild steel. I would like to try it for changer fingers, but so far I haven't managed to source it in bar form so too much machining for me.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2016 5:51 pm    

HELLO IAN,

Here is a link to A supplier of aluminum stock in the U.S.

The shipping might be more expensive than the cost of the material. ??

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=17828&step=4&showunits=inches&id=813&top_cat=0

Roger