The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Great time in Phoenix!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 7:05 pm    

Once again, I enjoyed my visit to the lovely city of Phoenix the most, though in reality the only times I actually saw the city was on the trips from and to the airport.

The absolutest, coolest times were always in the hotel, the place I remained for the entire 96 hours I was in AZ. As is our tradition, Jay Dee Maness and I reassure ourselves in the first minutes of seeing each other that the whole reason for us being there is "the hang," the opportunities to see friends and brethren from days gone by and share fellowship, jokes, breaking bread, and marveling at how well old farts like ourselves are still able to play; the carrying of our instruments nothwithstanding, of course. Wink

Always a pleasure is listening to, and bar-hanging with my California landzmenchen, Bob Bernstein, Skip Edwards, Peter Freiberger, and Harry Orlove. The licks and jokes were non-stop.

Always a blessing for me is hanging with my brother from the far North, Stu Schulman, one of my oldest pals in the business and a stand-up man you could trust with a barrel of uncounted money.

So as not to leave anyone out, it's great always to see the three Steves and Donna, two Garys, two Roys and one Barbara, three Jims, Sophie/Brenda/Amber/Ron/Dave, Gloria/Peggy/Meriul, the four Bill/Billys, Ray, the three Jims, Jay, Jay Dee/Luanne, Frank/Fran, Mike, five Bobs/Bobby, Joe, Dave the Sgt. at Arms, Chuck/Charles, Albert, Wayne, Denny, Russ, Leona, Ron, Rick and Tommy. Y'all know who you are, and apologies to any I've forgotten.

As for the music, I really can't say much about it because I didn't see very much of it. I did enjoy Jay Dee's entire set because he featured the most excellent Don Holiman, a singer that I absolutely admired back when I was 21 and just getting started in the many honky-tonks that were roaring all over southern California in the late sixties.

The show is moving to a different hotel next year, the Hilton in Mesa AZ. I am looking forward to it. Meantime, onward to Dallas and the TSGA Jamboree!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 9:05 pm    

It was a great show, indeed, both musically AND for the hang. What a great time! I made a bunch of new friends and had a blast hanging with the Herbster, fellow jazzers Christopher Woitach and Sez Adamson, the California Mafia (whom I was thrilled to have backing me on my set), and a whole bunch of old pals too. To put it succinctly, "It's what we do."

I add my thanks to Billy, Troy and whole SWSGA gang, helpful stage crew, emcees, as well as all the fine folks running sound and video. Couldn't have been a nicer weekend. Already looking forward to next year in Mesa.

And now... back to the woodshed for me!

Cheers,
Jimbeaux

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 6:36 am    

Herb,

Thanks a bunch for rubbing it in... Laughing

Unfortunately, my work schedule conflicted with my being able to attend the show this year, and all I could think about the entire weekend was what I was missing out on...I miss Phoenix, I miss the music, but most of all, I miss the wonderful people out there. And, you're right...it's all about "the hang"....!! Very Happy

Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year...!!

Joe Rogers

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:07 am    

I had the most amazing time in Phoenix hanging out with all of my steel guitar family.This was my first time since my stroke that I played on the main stage and although I call it "facing the firing squad"I was surrounded by kindness from all of my friends who made me feel at home.Joe Naylor picks me up at the airport because he knows that I wouldn't have a clue of how to get around Phoenix,Herb Steiner has done more for me than penicillin!Dan Tyack,Chuck Back,Dave Beaty Sophie Russo and all the very wonderful people at Telonics,Bob Blair,Fred Justice,David Wright.And my new friend Christopher Woitach...and Billy Easton who encouraged me.
I love you all!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:34 am    

And I got a big hug from my friend Russ Hicks!! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 7:34 am    

Man - this show was amazing for me! The playing was great, all my friends were there, and I got to make some new ones, for life I'm sure!

It was an honor to play guitar for David Wright and Dan Tyack - it really helped me feel like I was part of things. Thanks, guys!

I will never miss this show again, if I can help it. Amazing time, indeed

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 9:02 am    

I can't add anything to what you guys have said. Great time, great friends, great music!

Hope to see most of you in Dallas or next year in Phoenix (or more specifically Mesa, I guess ) Very Happy

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 9:40 am    

What Herb and everyone said! A special time hanging out with friends, hearing some great music, and always learning something new. Thanks so much to Billy and everyone else at the SWSGA for all they have done to enrich our lives!

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:30 pm     Thanks Stu

Happy to pick ya up - great to see ya and you had a great set.

Glad to see you are back at it.

Thanks Christopher

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 5:57 pm    

Thanks to all who were involved in organizing the show and those who attended. I got to hang out with a lot of friends, some of whom I hadn't seen since last year, and hear a bunch of great players, simultaneously intimidating and inspiring. And had a blast playing bass for several of those players.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 10:11 am    

I got home exhausted, but that meant that I left very little undone at the show.
As has been said, the hang is the greatest joy of all, but I wish to Thank Stu, Russ, Herb and all the guys who ask me to sing on their sets. It is always such a pleasure.....
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2016 9:11 pm    

Once again, the Phoenix show has outdone itself…It just seems to get better every year. I had a great time, doing "the hang", hearing some great players & some great music, laughing & joking, and just enjoying every minute of it. Can't wait to do it again.
A big tip o' the hat to those who worked so hard to make it happen… Billy, Troy, Ray, Joe, all the top-notch production crew, John, Doug, Verle, the camera crew, and everybody else involved. (Apologies to any I've forgotten to mention)
You really know how to throw a party. Thanks for making us all feel like a part of the family.
We'll see you all next year.

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2016 7:07 pm    

I came to the Phoenix show last year, for the first time, with the encouragement of Tommy Dodd. He was right, as usual. Laughing

I was able to "Hang" with some of the best. It's all about the "HANG"!!