The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who played steel on this Freddie Hart album Kapp ??
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 12:36 pm    

"The Hart of Country Music"

Some really good stuff on that album.

What A Way To Go
Excuse Me for Living
You've Got It Comin to You
Keys in the Maibox
Hank Williams Guitar

to name a few.

Thanks for looking.

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 6:26 pm    

I do not know about that album, but Lloyd Green played on many of his records.

Don Euton

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 12:53 am    

The album goes back to 1965 when Lloyd was at a very early stage of his career so I don't think it is him. Some of the tracks on the album sound like Hal Rugg to me but the steel sounds different on other songs, so I am not sure.

Kind Regards, Walter

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 7:06 am    

I stand corrected - the best source is always the player himself. Here's the quote from Lloyd Green:

"The issue of Freddie Hart and the Kapp Records of the mid-1960s is as follows:

Grady Martin, the great guitarist, was leader on most of the major label records of that era, including Kapp Records, and he had already started making me first call, along with Hal Rugg by 1965.

After he used me on steel for my first sessions with Kapp, Paul Cohen the label head of A&R asked that I be on all of his sessions if I was not already booked. This arrangement lasted until at least the mid-1970s. Kapp had many artists, including Mel Tillis at that time.

The Freddie Hart songs listed are all me, with the exception of one I’m not sure about, “You’ve Got It Coming To You”. Could be me, Day or Rugg. If it’s not me then it was probably cut at an earlier time than my arrival at Kapp.

But I recorded the entire album, “The Hart of Country Music” with Freddie for Kapp Records at Columbia Studio B (euphemistically, the Quonset Hut) in late 1965 or early 1966.

Kindest regards, Lloyd Green"

Thanks for the information and the insight, Lloyd!

Best Regards, Walter

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 9:12 am    

Thank you all for posting and especially Walter for the clarification right from the source himself.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 9:32 am    

It's great that legends like Lloyd, who has probably played on a bazillion sessions, can remember certain sessions they played on. I'm sure many others, like me, really like to know who the players are on a record. Since there is no "solid" source for this information, it's great when the session players chime in and let us know. Another big "thank you" to Lloyd.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 3:26 pm    

Thank You Lloyd for sharing, J. R. Rose

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2016 7:22 pm    

My all-time favorite tune on the album is "I Created A Monster (Call Me Frankenstein). A TOTAL hoot!! Very Happy

I Created A Monster

I played one weekend with Freddie in 1971, and was a complete and totally enjoyable gig. One of the friendliest gentlemen I've had the pleasure of working with.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 3:13 am    

Now you've done it. I need to buy this album!

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 6:55 am    

Freddie Hart is as nice a person as you could ever want to meet. I've had the pleasure of backing him up a couple of times. You would not want to pick a fight with him from what I've heard. He carries a black belt in Karate.
Julian Thorpe told me a story about playing with him at a place. After they were paid, Julian and some of the band were having another drink, and Freddie went to his room. He came back about 5 minutes later and asked for someone to call an ambulance. It seems 3 guys tried to jump him and rob him. He said they were hurt pretty bad.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2016 9:58 am    

Definitely one of the most unique, endearing artists and people ever. Unmistakable voice....one I never tire of...especially the songs on this album and others like this one "Do My Heart A Favor". Pete Drake on steel I believe.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDv57lauAc

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2016 8:15 am    

I got to play two or three shows with Freddie in the early 70's in the New England area, before he put a band together and had J D Walters as his steel guitarist. Freddie was always easy to work with, and always gave honor to anyone in the band who backed him. Would go to each one personally and thank them. Great man ......
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 3:44 am    

I know Lloyd was in Nashville as early as February 1959. We were doing a shot on the midnight jamboree. Donnie Young aka Paycheck was on that night also. Lloyd was playing a D-8
Rickenbacker with two pedals. As I was about to set up my steel he said you can use mine if you would like. So I played Lloyds steel ,didn't sound the same though. Very talented guy. We had two Wilburn brothers playing bass and fiddle. Great night.

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2016 9:12 pm    

I run into Freddie at my barbers on occasion. He has told me that both Lloyd Green and Buddy Emmons were just fabulous to work with. He kind of lights up when I ask him about the musicians. Next time I'll pump him about Grady Martin. BTW, Freddie is a hoot!

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2016 9:24 pm    

Mel,

I didn't know Freddie was living in the Camarillo area.

He turns 90 this year. God Bless him !!

Mel Bergman

Camarillo, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2016 6:04 pm    

Ran into Freddie Hart again today. 89 and going strong. He shared some great stories about working w Buddy Emmons, Ralph Mooney and Lloyd Green. Wow. The three best steelers of all time! He was especially fond of Lloyd as he played on 21 of his 42 Lps, and came up with the signature lick on his big hit, "Easy Loving".

He autographed this LP and it's the best autograph content Ever. Usually musicians sign something banal like"Rock On" or " Best Wishes". Freddie signs " To Mel Bergman, Your friend for life, God bless you pal, Freddie Hart"

Bitchin'!