The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Craigslist 65 Emmons !
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 5:57 pm    

It's kind of redundant given some of the statements here on the Forum over the years about these guitars, but I'll supply a couple of answers for the Forum as to the price of these instruments, just to keep the participants thinking.

Why do players want these guitars? If you read the statements here and elsewhere on the Forum, it's because of their perceived unique tone, the rarity of this vintage Emmons, and the cachet of owning and playing a very hip, historic, and unique instrument. The supply is much less than the demand.

As to why sellers ask an admittedly (and currently) high price for these guitars? Because there are players that have previously paid that price, making a market, so why would anyone sell one for any less?

So, would someone who thinks the wraparound (or Bigsby, or Franklin, or '63 Corvette) isn't worth what their current asking prices are please tell me why somebody else shouldn't spend their money on what they want and can afford.

I'd like hear some reasons WHY the guitars "aren't worth it," seriously.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 5:59 pm    

Very good point Mr. Herb Whoa! Whoa!

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 6:00 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
John, one CAN have some fun with one's business.

Sure, but posting something solely for the purpose of eliciting certain reactions is the definition of trolling. Then he got upset - or pretended to - when he got what he knew was inevitably coming. Pot/kettle. Is that fun or something else?

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 6:04 pm    

I'd guess the $12k question of worth or value is in the eyes and wallet of the individual. It's a gorgeous and rare guitar, and I understand why some would, but I'd personally never pay that much of my own dough for a PSG. Neither is wrong.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 7:36 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:
It's kind of redundant given some of the statements here on the Forum over the years about these guitars, but I'll supply a couple of answers for the Forum as to the price of these instruments, just to keep the participants thinking.

Why do players want these guitars? If you read the statements here and elsewhere on the Forum, it's because of their perceived unique tone, the rarity of this vintage Emmons, and the cachet of owning and playing a very hip, historic, and unique instrument. The supply is much less than the demand.

As to why sellers ask an admittedly (and currently) high price for these guitars? Because there are players that have previously paid that price, making a market, so why would anyone sell one for any less?

So, would someone who thinks the wraparound (or Bigsby, or Franklin, or '63 Corvette) isn't worth what their current asking prices are please tell me why somebody else shouldn't spend their money on what they want and can afford.

I'd like hear some reasons WHY the guitars "aren't worth it," seriously.

This^^

I wanted one, I paid for it. I'm ok with that. If you want one and happen to find one you buy it.

I know I'm going to get in trouble, but if a Franklin is worth 10K, a Wrap absolutely is. (I'm not bashing Franklin's.They are great guitars. I know to some they are as sought after as Wraparounds are.)

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 7:39 am    

I agree Very Happy Very Happy. I want one.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 9:51 am    

John Scanlon wrote:
Lane Gray wrote:
John, one CAN have some fun with one's business.

Sure, but posting something solely for the purpose of eliciting certain reactions is the definition of trolling. Then he got upset - or pretended to - when he got what he knew was inevitably coming. Pot/kettle. Is that fun or something else?

John,
Mike intended nothing of the sort. He said he didn't want to post in the want ads because of all the sniping that would happen. We talked about getting the word out on the sale to the forum and he said go ahead and post a link to the craigs list ad like the last wrap around and we will see what happens. Nothing manipulative or preconceived at all. MIke also made it clear that he would pay a commission to Bob if the sale came through the forum.

No plots or evil intentions.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 9:57 am    

Wish Hendersonville was a little closer!!

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 11:48 am    

My 2 cents is that it is all about the sound the Guitar puts out that you like. I have a Franklin and the sound I get is exactly what I want and was the reason I bought one in the first place back in !982. The Emmons I would love to have so I could play it not sit it in a corner and wait for the prices to go up. I don't play out anymore in Clubs or on the road so being as I just play at home and with a bunch of guys I know every thursday I still would love to have something like this if I had the money.Good luck with your sale.Would be real nice if when you got a negative comment you could just take it off yourself like Facebook. I have put stuff on before and got a lot of negative Know it all's and that happens..RS

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 1:44 pm    

^^^

Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2016 11:36 am    

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the serial number listed anywhere in the above posts - do we know what number wraparound this one is?

Thanks!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 2:07 am    

thx Herb for the detailed commentary...

I always found that many opinions and comments can be a bit edgy when something rare with a perceived HIGH price shows up on the market and not just Steel Guitars.

An Instrument such as this one discussed is NOT for 95% of those reading. It's for a handful in that 5% category. First the price scares many away which immediately detracts from what the item is. It's no longer about the item but rather now it's about the price. So we debate the price. Well,not me...

For those in the 5% category they pretty much don't care about the price ( of course they need the cash) but to them it's about the availability of a rare bird. Quite the opposite of the 95% who are still stuck on price.

So, here's what I am saying, if we are not really interested in acquiring something at this PRICE then why
are we commenting at all ? To what end ?

I personally do not not know much about 65 wraps. I also know I own two Emmons D10's that fit in the +/- $4K price range so adding another at $12k which I am not familiar with is probably not in the cards. But I do know this, I'm not the one that the seller is marketing to, I'm in that 95% category but he knows dang well that in that 5% category is someone waiting for one of these to pop up so they can snag it. And I dare say, most likely it will NOT be a Forum member and/or of it is, the deal will be completed in extreme privacy.

I go to antique auctions with my wife often. Last time out there was a rare bird wall thermometer with classic brand name advertising on it, my wife valued it at around $300 which was probably close, she bid and got blown away, it sold for over $600 to a buyer who had been seeking this exact piece for a while. Add this, it's the only one we have ever seen other than in pictures.

As a Corvette lover and previous owner of about a dozen different cars, (Herb mentions a 62 above) when you see a classic 'Vette that you want and there are no others around by comparison, condition etc..., you buy it , you don't argue with the seller , you either come up with the cash or walk. Years back I was at Carlisle in PA, I wanted this 67 Coupe, it was selling for $24K. I kept offering 18, then 19 then 20, while I was trying to get the seller to move off his price, it sold for $24K ! . I spent the rest of the weekend looking for another similar car..uhhh..nope, there was not another and there was probably 2000 Corvettes for sale. Oh yeah, each of the Corvettes I sold thru the years , I priced and never moved off the price, just like the guy at Carlisle. When a prospect made a lower offer, I thanked them then I closed the garage door, then the offer went up! Imagine that !

Lesson learned

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 3 Feb 2016 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 6:11 am    

Matt Elsen wrote:
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the serial number listed anywhere in the above posts - do we know what number wraparound this one is?

Thanks!

It sold in about 5 minutes and the buyer drove to Nashville to pick it up from what I heard. I had a buddy who was interested but it was gone already. Maybe the buyer will let us know about the guitar if he is on the forum.

I just got my wrap (serial #13 )back from my set up guy so I will get it out on the bandstand this week and post any pictures or vids that show up. Those wraparounds do have a sound of there own !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:02 am    

so there we have it, taking Bob H at his word, and why wouldn't we ?, it sold in 5 min to someone who not only had 12K in his or her back pocket but moved like greased lightening to grab it before someone else who had $12k in their back pocket grabbed it !. And this, while many of us were still asking why it's worth $12k!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:20 am    

i think maybe the real shame is that since most normal working performers can't afford them, almost no one gets to hear and appreciate them, if they are that wonderful.
they become delegated to a collection or a private jam in someone's rumpus room.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:29 am    

..and the same goes for vettes. i love seeing 50's
corvettes. but i don't think i've seen one go by for 10 or 20 years. this might be because they're locked in some guys 10 car garage and maybe get driven twice a year.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 9:33 am    

Me too Chris, I've always disliked the idea that collectors scarf up the good items and they are never seen or heard from again. If I had a wrap around, I'd play it every day, don't care if it did cost 12K.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 10:20 am    

chris ivey wrote:
i think maybe the real shame is that since most normal working performers can't afford them, almost no one gets to hear and appreciate them, if they are that wonderful.
they become delegated to a collection or a private jam in someone's rumpus room.

I'm sure taking my wraparound to my country gigs. Also, as far as I can tell, theguys that have old wraparounds in this part of the world bought them to play and that's what they are doing.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 10:43 am    

What makes someone a collector? Having one of something? Laughing

The thing about an Emmons of that type is similar to fishing with a vintage bamboo fly rod or driving a classic sports car. I used to have a '73 240Z that I loved to just simply drive. It wasn't fun to watch someone else drive my 240, I had to do it. What I mean is that until you get behind the wheel and learn what it does and how it responds, only then will you get the feeling that says to you "oh yeah. now I get it."

The real value is in playing a wraparound, much more so than listening to one. But if the guitar inspires the player to inject in his music whatever rings your particular chime, that too adds to the value of the instrument.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 12:13 pm    

I think values are both "general" (the value most would pay), as well as specific (the amount that a bucks-up collector would pay). In some cases it's impossible to state a definitive worth, because of rarity, or because you don't know how much somebody out there might pay for something. I have a pre-civil war Martin guitar that is in excellent shape, and it's value has been stated to me to be as being "less than $10,000". Needless to say, I find this somewhat disappointing because a 1930's vintage Martin D-28, in similar shape, might sell for well over $100,000.

As the old saying goes, "Put up or shut up". In sales of rare items, sometimes, you just never can tell how bad someone might want something. I've overpaid for a lot of things, but never really regretted it. I guess it just goes with the compulsion of really wanting something. Oh Well

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 6:36 pm    

I think it's a mistake to assume that people who buy and pay for high dollar items are not regular normal working people or performers. Perhaps they just handle income and expenses differently. The thing about spending $12k on anything let alone a 65 Wrap is, if you OWE $12K for frivolous accumulated items, that was your 65 Wrap. Just because someone may decide to part with $12K for an instrument such as the 65 Wrap doesn't automatically place them in a high income category. They may very well earn the same or even less than many among us.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 6:51 pm    

just imagine how great would be to see and hear, old Lloyds fingertip on Grand Ole Opry stage....I would love to see that...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2016 6:57 pm    

I know one guy who has a collection of over 200 guitars, and most of them aren't cheapies, either - but he still insists he isn't "rich"?

POV is everything, and everything is relative. Oh Well

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 11:45 am    

Guitar is sold, as stated, it sold 5 mins after the u know what hit the fan... commission sent to b0b. Mr Hoffnar, what say we lock 'er down? MC. BTW, ser# was 2101.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2016 12:47 pm    

Just goes to show all this talk does sell guitars!
Only took 22 days, might've taken three weeks without it. Congratulations.