The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Music/Editing software for Windows 10?
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 8:07 pm    

I just found out tonight that my InPort Deluxe music/editing software that I've been using on my computers--up to my present one that had Windows 7, won't work now, since I downloaded Windows 10. I'd like to go back to Windows 7, but I'm past the 30 day trial period, and I see the other steps listed out on the internet on how to go back to Windows 7(if you're past the 30 day time limit), but it seems really complicated.

Can someone recommend a good music/editing software that you buy, or even one of the free one's that will work on Windows 10? I would like it to be at least equal to InPort Deluxe.

Thanks.

Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2016 11:18 am    

As I'm reviewing the different types of recording software on the internet, I neglected to note that my InPort Deluxe is a recording software that came complete with the RCA phono cables on one end, and the USB plug on the other end for the computer. It records from my turntable, tape decks, and CD player, etc.--to my computer hard drive.

Would still like someone's review of a recording software that works on Windows 10.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 2:26 am    

Butch you would have better results going on to a RECORDING forum or HOME RECORDING forum.

WIN 10 is not actually a proven platform yet for many of the so called software packages. Are people using it ? Sure..but not in abundance.

My PC's ( WIN 7's ) have been asking me to go to WIN 10 for a month now...NOPE, won't do it. UPDATES should be set to pick and choose, not automatic.

A few months back, truth..My wifes older Ipad , she allowed by accident the OP system update, which can't be reversed. It doesn't run on older Ipads, many things no longer function. She had to buy a new IPAD. This is all over google just in case someone thinks it's not accurate.To me it's a scam.

WIN 10 updates. for anyone reading, unless you know WHY you are updating, don't do it.

My Pro Tools 12 WIN 7 system, wants me to update to WIN 10..no way...even AVID ( Pro Tools) is advising that it is not a tested platform. And yep, in the PT's forums, some have done it and have to figure out how to get back to a previous WIN version.

Research first.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 3:10 am    

Many are using Win 10 with recording studio (DAW) software. My Cakewalk Sonar is Win10 (and touch screen) compatible. Presonus and Cubase are also Win 10 compatible. Most are even getting lower latency (in my own case I went from "useable" 6ms to 4ms with my Roland Octa-Capture).

I have been using Win 10 (testing) for over a year and the production version since it was made available. All the software that I had in Win 8.1 is working in Win 10. Even an old Frontier Tranzport that only has Win XP and Vista drivers.

A free and popular recording program is "Audacity". It works across most OS platforms. It will allow recording from a turntable, cassette,etc.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 6:19 am    

well..there ya go, first hand info ! Smile

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 12:20 pm    

Well guys,

I took the plunge and went to Windows 10. Machine works sooo much better now. Everything is working perfectly. The only glitch that I have is that my Fader Port does not work with Pro Tools like it did under Windows 7. It works great with the Presonus software however so it is not a driver issue and I am aware that Avid has not given Windows 10 its blessing.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2016 2:20 am    

There are plenty of folks running PT's on 10...I have not read of many issues at all, I suspect soon it will be considered good to go.

When Windows releases new versions of OP systems, it causes big grief for many companies who write and offer proprietary scientific software, as well as simple production software, like music . Especially those that supply systems to the Govt, Food and Drug segments, those system must be 100% validated with full compliance including the Win version, before products can leave the facility. It's a very expensive proposition.

Then Windows discontinues the previous version making matters even more difficult ! Then they leave something out in the first release which needs to be corrected with an UPDATE ! Rolling Eyes

Kinda ironic, install the new version of Windows but be sure to leave UPDATES on Automatic ! Smile