The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  low cost push pull by Promat ...PICTURES AND VIDEO ADDED
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 8:08 pm    

I was talking to Mr.Papic about idea to make a low cost push pull guitar ... recent Promat model S10 Narrow would be the base for the new S10... target price is $1500 - $1600 ... idea is to make a guitar with push pull changer 3 pedals and 4 knee levers at lowest cost possible.... what Stage One is to all pull guitars, the new Promat would be to push pulls... no fancy stuff, but the same great push pull tone...Mr. Papic is back to the drawing board right now, trying to figure out how to pull this off... I was just wondering if there is any interest out there in guitar like that...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 8 Dec 2016 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 9:14 pm    

Sounds like a really good idea. I'd be interested.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 9:37 pm    

Rick, this is Promat "S10 Narrow" the new, more affordable guitar, would be based on this model...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 1:34 am    

yes ! I will be first in line but I don't want to pay up front and wait 6 months either !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 2 Jan 2016 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 6:10 am    

Yes, in black!

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 7:53 am    

I know Mr Papic well and am a proud owner of a Promat D10. I can say with 100% confidence that Mr Papic would not build a "cheap" instrument. I can assure you that, although the cost would be as Damir wrote, Mr Papic will not build anything unless it is done right. Mr Papic put tremendous pride in his work and handles his customer service with the same caring and these instruments would be built to play and last for many years.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 7:58 am    

yes, I believe they may be available in a few different mica finishes, like black, red, rosewood ... this is undercarriage of the guitar... while there will be change in cosmetic appearance of the instrument, mechanical part will stay the same, thus providing the same high tone quality as in all Promat guitars... if you want a classic push pull tone, in little modest looking S10 guitar, this may be for you... more then likely I will order one for myself as well...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 8:04 am    

also, the good thing is, since these will be a little S10 guitars, shipping cost shouldn't be a problem... you will still be able to get a brand new, professional S10 push pull for under $2000 ...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 8:06 am    

Dave Diehl wrote:
I know Mr Papic well and am a proud owner of a Promat D10. I can say with 100% confidence that Mr Papic would not build a "cheap" instrument. I can assure you that, although the cost would be as Damir wrote, Mr Papic will not build anything unless it is done right. Mr Papic put tremendous pride in his work and handles his customer service with the same caring and these instruments would be built to play and last for many years.

you are 100% correct my friend... btw..I am still looking for my old black Promat D10 ..you wouldn't happened to know who has it?

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 3:45 pm    

No I don't Damir. Mine is the light mica top with the mahogany mica front like the one you had but with wood necks. I love it!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:09 pm    

they would probably be a fine instrument.
they look like an unattractive economy cabinet though.
i was attracted to steel guitars at first by their
beauty. was never a fan of phony woodgrain pattern formica. without any trim they're ugly and there are many great used pro steels for under 2 grand.
i think that would be something to consider.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:13 pm    

I think it's a good idea, but I wouldn't buy one myself as 3+4 isn't enough for me at this stage.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:50 pm    

same as Stage One, this guitar is not for everyone, we can say the same thing for a Stage One or Encore, they are plain looking, and mechanically limited, but there is still 6 months waiting list to get one...even tho there is plenty of used all pull guitars under $2000 out there...and I haven't seen a nice used push pull for sale for under $2000 in some time now...let alone a new one for 15 hundred...

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 6:00 pm    

as i said, i know they'd be a good instrument.
and considering that several companies are making good economy models now maybe the push pull option is a good one.
as b0b mentions it might be nice if they had an option for parts, at least, that you could add on yourself to get an extra pedal and lever or two.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 6:31 pm    

Chris, I believe that this guitar will have same mechanics as other Promat models, so I would think you could either order guitar with extra pedals or knee levers, or order parts and do it yourself... but all that is just me speculating at this point...I don't know what will Mr. Papic come up with, to make a push pull guitar that would sell new for around $1500, and still be profitable for the builder, is quite an accomplishment...

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 9:04 pm    

Just to clarify, I think that 3+4 is enough for most E9th players, which is the largest market. An advanced E9th is typically 4+5 these days, which is the 2nd largest market. It would be good if this new economy model could support both, but it wouldn't need to. It will be a success either way.

I've been playing D6th instead for 6 years now, coaxing E9th and C6th simulations out of one neck. I need 5+5 minimum to do that. I don't feel confident that I could properly maintain a 5+5 copedent on a push-pull.

Mirko Tomic

Serbia
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 10:38 pm     Mirko Tomic,Serbia

First of all,Happy new year to all of you.
I think that idea of making such instrument is really good.Very affordable instrument with great tone.
I must say that I am playing all Promat guitars before
shipping to customers and they all play really great.
The neck on SE 10 /narrow/ is made out of wood,30 years old naturally dry.This model that I played,
which is now in Slovenia,had really warm and natural sound.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 4:30 am    

I can't imagine who wouldn't want a Promat if the equipment is right, but I agree with chris:
with the Promat name, and in the economy market, there would have to be something special about the appearance and trim
to compete with other guitars in the price range and still look like a Promat.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 6:17 am    

Charlie, Promat doesnt have a competition at this time, there is nobody else out there making brand new push pull guitars for $1500 ...Stage One, and Encore are the only other guitar on the market that are high quality instruments in that price range, but those are all pull guitars, if buyer wants a regular model, with all the fancy stuff, he can always order a regular Promat...we are talking here about economy model... this guitar will look just like the one on the picture Mirko posted, and it will have a regular Promat mechanics with small changes to lower the cost, those changes will not effect the tone or playability of this guitar... also, there will be possible to either order a guitar with extra knee levers or pedals, or buy a pedal or knee lever kit, and add that to your guitar yourself... guitar will be custom built on order, and delivery time will be around 6 months...these are all details I just received in the email from Promat...to me, this is a great news, not that I can only order a brand new push pull guitar , now I can order a brand new pro push pull S10 for around $1500...this has never been done before, and I am very excited about this...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 2 Jan 2016 6:52 am; edited 4 times in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 6:37 am    

I see your point, Damir.
It might be not necessary to compare Promat to Stage One and Encore--both fine guitars--for someone looking for a push-pull.
Appearances might not be part of the equation at all. Good explanation.

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 10:23 am    

I would be very interested in this Damir. I presume most people have never played a Promat, though, so it would be very helpful to understand how they play and sound as compared to more widely known guitars, i.e. an Emmons Push Pull.

Best,
Chris

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 10:32 am    

Damir,
If there ends up being a Promat S10 push pull that costs under $2000 it will sell fine.

There is a real demand for steels in that price range.

I hope it works out.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 10:58 am    

thanks guys, I got an idea, but now is on Mr.Papic to figure out how to make it work... he said he can do it, and to give him a week or two, to try to figure it out... everything in Europe is more expensive then here, so are the parts and material for instruments... it is going to take some thinking, and calculating ...

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 11:03 am    

Yes.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 4:13 pm    

Damir, will you be the sales rep for this line? I would think having you as the US based dealer would boost sales for Promat.