The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What case would fit a Gibson Century 6?
Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 6:16 pm    

I just acquired a Gibson Century 6, the black one with silver fingerboard. Great guitar, sounds great, but no case.
Getting an original one seems like a long shot, so I'm asking what I can get to transport this one. I was looking at the new Gretsch lap steel gig bags online, but from the dimensions it looks like a pretty close fit.
Granted I could just use an old regular guitar gig bag, but I'd like something that it won't slide around in.
Any suggestions?

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 6:21 pm    

These make great steel cases. I have one for my old Epiphone 8 string: http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Tactical-Rifle-5212-1/dp/B00FDWJUCO

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 6:34 pm    

This might do the trick:

http://www.music123.com/accessories/road-runner-roadster-little-brat-3-4-sized-guitar-gig-bag?rNtt=gig%20bags%20for%20acoustic%20guitars&index=17

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 7:36 pm    

Thanks for the great ideas.
I would have never thought of an AR rifle case, brilliant!

Has anyone bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Morrell-TKL-B4151-Universal-Hardshell/dp/B008H4LLQI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451273519&sr=8-3&keywords=Morrell+case

Based on the dimensions it looks like it would fit.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2015 10:46 pm    

The common G2165 Gretsch-branded (imported from Viet Nam) lap steel gig bag will fit all black and blue postwar 6-string Gibson Centuries like a glove.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 28 Dec 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 8:15 am    

I'll give the Gretsch G2165 Bag a try. Found one at Sweetwater for $29.99 w/free shipping.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LapSteelBag

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll still keep my eye out on eBay and Reverb for a used Gibson case, but the Gretsch gig bag should keep it protected in the meantime.

BTW I've added a photo of my guitar that is in need of the case. All original except for the tuner buttons (they did an excellent job too). Original tuners are still working great, as are the electronics. Has the non-adjustable pole pieces on the pickup so I'm thinking around 1948?

Amazed at the sounds that comes out of these. From across the room the thing screams "come play me!". Love it.

This should keep me out of trouble for the winter months here in Michigan. Smile

Last edited by Andrew Leonard on 28 Dec 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 8:32 am    

Yes, it's late 1940's. I have the same guitar, an early Century 6, black, 3 knobs, pre-P90 pickup with non-adjustable poles. I think Gibson also called this model BR-2. One of my students has the same guitar but with only 2 knobs. I think the 2-knob ones were earlier than the 3-knob ones, probably right after WWII.

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 8:40 am    

Thanks Doug for the info. Very Happy

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 8:56 am    

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Gibson-Lifton-Lapsteel-Case-For-Century-1950-USA-Steel-Guitar-Hardshell-/291645072383?hash=item43e766a3ff:g:8ysAAOSw5VFWKcwd

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 9:49 am    

Yes I saw that one. Looks like it was stored in a basement that flooded. Too much work to restore. Thanks for the link though.

The same seller is parting out the Gibson Lap Steel that was in this case. I guess these are worth more as parts now than as a whole. Too bad, but that's another thread.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2015 2:35 pm    

Andrew Leonard wrote:
I'll give the Gretsch G2165 Bag a try. Found one at Sweetwater...

BTW I've added a photo of my guitar that is in need of the case. All original except for the tuner buttons (they did an excellent job too). Original tuners are still working great, as are the electronics. Has the non-adjustable pole pieces on the pickup so I'm thinking around 1948?

Amazed at the sounds that comes out of these. From across the room the thing screams "come play me!". Love it.

I have three of those Gretsch gig bags for a black Century, a blue Century, and a Century Deluxe that were all purchased caseless, and Sweetwater had the best price.

Those white plastic buttons on the Kluson tuners from the late '40s and early '50s were molded from an unstable plastic and most are found disintegrated today. I've refurbished and rebuttoned several sets and those old Klusons all operate just fine.

Black Gibson Century lap steels were manufactured from late 1947 until early 1951, when the body contour was altered slightly and the color changed to dark blue. The blue model also featured the new P-90 pickup with adjustable pole pieces. As Doug stated above, the earliest black models had only a single tone control, and also a pad on the back. They were originally named the BR-2 (for Barnes & Reinecke, the Chicago industrial design and engineering firm who helped design several instruments and amplifiers for Gibson in the early postwar period).

The first black Centuries came in the same trapezoidal case as the white Ultratones. The later models used the rectangular Lifton case similar to the water-damaged unit for sale on eBay by the guitar cannibal in Utah.

I agree that the early postwar Gibson Ultratones and Centuries are among the best-sounding lap steels ever made by anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 10:04 am    

The case I ordered on Monday from Sweetwater Music was delivered this morning.

You were correct Jack, the Gretsch gig bag (G2165) fits like it was made for this guitar! Even the headstock contour is the same shape! Thank you for suggesting them.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 11:03 am    

Nice! I prefer these soft cases to the hard cases. The original case for my Century 6 has been sitting in my closet for years! I use a small tweed gig bag that came with a Rogue Jersey Lightning. I gave the Rogue to one of my students a few years ago, but I made sure to keep the case!

Jim Davies

Charlottesville VA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 12:49 pm    

I have a steel that is 36" long and 11 1/2 wide can you tell me if it will fit in this gig bag
Thanks

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 1:38 pm    

Don't know if this Gretsch bag will "stretch" to your dimensions, but if not, I'm sure there's a ready made rifle bag that would.
I got a strong one from eBay to fit my home-made 8 string, which is about 33" long and 9" wide.
I easily shortened the bag to suit my guitar. Turn it inside out, measure and strongly sew the small end up and cut the excess off, then turn it right side out. Simple!
I payed about $18:00 for it here in UK and there are lots available "on the bay".
I might add, I'm a 75 year old retired engineer and have plenty of time to work things out and do what I need.
Regards,
Keith.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 1:39 pm    

Don't know if this Gretsch bag will "stretch" to your dimensions, but if not, I'm sure there's a ready made rifle bag that would.
I got a strong one from eBay to fit my home-made 8 string, which is about 33" long and 9" wide.
I easily shortened the bag to suit my guitar. Turn it inside out, measure and strongly sew the small end up and cut the excess off, then turn it right side out. Simple!
I payed about $18:00 for it here in UK and there are lots available "on the bay".
I might add, I'm a 75 year old retired engineer and have plenty of time to work things out and do what I need.
Regards,
Keith.

Andrew Leonard

Tecumseh, MI USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 1:42 pm    

My Century 6 is approximately 32-1/4" long x 8-1/2" wide, and it fits in the case with about 1/2" to 1" to spare in regards to length and width.

So I'd say yours being 36" x 11-1/2" would be to large for this case.

Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 2:26 pm     Control knobs for Gibson Century 6?

I have one of these lap steels (Gibson Century 6, black finish with silver fingerboard, gold control speed knobs). I would like to replace the control knobs as 2 of them are broken. I would like to use originals if possible (if available).
Does anyone have suggestions for where I might find these types of knobs for sale?
Thanks!

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 2:36 pm    

Walter-
Try here: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Speed_Knob.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2016-12-gp&gclid=CIeKw7ud8tACFcW3wAodCY4INg

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2016 10:53 pm    

One other option for a lap steel gig bag is a case for an Appalachian dulcimer. I use one for my Nioma Magnatone.

I have one very similar to this, and I can even carry a little Danelectro battery amp in the case pocket.

That Gretsch case seems like a good deal too, as long as it fits your instrument.

Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 5:31 am    

John Rosett wrote:
Walter-
Try here: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Knobs/Speed_Knob.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2016-12-gp&gclid=CIeKw7ud8tACFcW3wAodCY4INg

Thanks John!
WS

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2016 8:49 pm    

I have a case in decent shape, from the 40's I believe.
It's a hard-shell type.
9 inches wide, 32 1/4" long & 2 3/4" deep, inside dimensions. It has a compartment on each side of the area for the neck etc...
I'll sell if for a hundred bucks.

I don't have a way to post a pic, but can Email one from my camera...

Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 1:50 pm     Good stand for the Gibson Century 6?

One more question I have about the Gibson Century 6 is if anyone knows a good stand it can be mounted on. I don't like the height of a steel on my lap and prefer a stand, like I have with a 1959 Supro that has three legs.
Does anyone use a stand for a Century 6 they can recommend?
Thanks!
WS

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 1:56 pm     Re: Good stand for the Gibson Century 6?

Walter Seaman wrote:
Does anyone use a stand for a Century 6 they can recommend?

Without question, one of these:

http://www.deluxe34.com/index.html

Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2016 4:25 pm    

Thanks Jack those are nice!