The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transcribing with Tabledit
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 4:00 am    

So I have a few Tabledit queries as I am finally now looking at using it after buying it many months ago.

I am using the Mac OSX version:

1. How can I save my tuning to OPEN as a Default?
2. For some unknown reason I am unable to save my custom tuning in the tuning section?
3. How can I remove Unwanted Tunings with the Asterix next to them?
4. I want to import MIDI and have it mapped out on the tab. (Always gives me some random placement that is unplayable.)
5. Chord diagrams are not possible for my 12 string tuning???
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 5:41 am    

I haven't opened Tabledit in a few months, so I am not able to give step=-by-step directions, but to save custom tunings, you would overwrite the tunings with an asterisk. From their website:

"TablEdit can manage up to eight user-defined tunings. The slots for these custom tunings are marked with an asterisk (*) and are located at the bottom of the list of pre-defined tunings. To add a custom tuning to the list, just modify the current tuning to the desired values and click on the custom slot you want it in while keeping [Ctrl] held down. The resulting dialog also allows you to specify a name for your tuning."

I would bet there is a way to add a custom chord diagram. You should ask that question the Yahoo Tabledit Group--you'll have to join first: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TablEdit/info

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 8:19 am    

Or an alternate approach? I recommend Guitar Pro 6. Once I got that much more powerful and versatile software I left klugey TablEdit behind.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 8:30 am    

Thanks will try the renaming.

As for guitar pro 6. Can I create custom tunings that support 12 string Lap Steel Guitar. Otherwise it's no good.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 10:22 am    

Custom tunings = yes. Twelve strings? Not sure. Maybe not?

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 11:29 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Custom tunings = yes. Twelve strings? Not sure. Maybe not?

Shame really. so much great software out there and no-one supports.

Custom number of strings.

What if I had an 8 string bass or guitar??? Gee it seems so obvious. I contacted BIAB a while ago about this but they didn't seem to care. Rather than custom tunings they came out with BUY another kit so you can choose a different instrument.

Now I know what Classical Harp players feel like. No one cares. Whoa!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 11:59 am    

Yep. GP 6 only supports 4 to 8 strings. Pity.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2015 7:46 pm    

GP6 has a choice of 12 string guitar but it displays only 6 lines in the tab. I bought both Tab|Edit and GP6. I use GP6 because it's quick and easy but it won't do half the things that Tab|Edit will do. As with most software, the more it'll do, the more difficult it is to learn. To me Tab|Edit is like C6th tuning. Someday I'm going to learn it but someday never seems to come.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2015 4:02 pm    

Robert Allen wrote:
GP6 has a choice of 12 string guitar but it displays only 6 lines in the tab. I bought both Tab|Edit and GP6. I use GP6 because it's quick and easy but it won't do half the things that Tab|Edit will do. As with most software, the more it'll do, the more difficult it is to learn. To me Tab|Edit is like C6th tuning. Someday I'm going to learn it but someday never seems to come.

Is that 12 independent strings. Or a twelve string guitar. Big difference.

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 9:20 pm    

I cant remember who it was that made the recommendation on this topic, or why they deleted the post but I wanted to thank them for recommending Musescore. I'm still working through it but it seems to be very powerful and versatile.. Good Stuff.

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 8:43 am    

Hi Brent,
It was me who posted. I thought my post was off topic since tabledit seemed to be the center of discussion.
Musescore is really good at TAB and chord diagrams. You can have as many strings as you want on both and any tuning you like. It's Very easy to customize.
Thanks for responding. My post was up for two day and no one responded so I figured I must off topic or something.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 2:19 pm    

Stefan Robertson wrote:

12 string guitar, not 12 independent strings. Six lines of tab, not 12.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2016 2:29 pm    

Robert Allen wrote:
Stefan Robertson wrote:

12 string guitar, not 12 independent strings. Six lines of tab, not 12.

Yeah I guessed it was

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 6:16 am    

Michael James wrote:
Hi Brent,
It was me who posted. I thought my post was off topic since tabledit seemed to be the center of discussion.
Musescore is really good at TAB and chord diagrams. You can have as many strings as you want on both and any tuning you like. It's Very easy to customize.
Thanks for responding. My post was up for two day and no one responded so I figured I must off topic or something.

Yeah, I wondered if it may have been something like that but the subject definitely was leaning toward a "why is there no software that addresses this limitation" angle so seemed on topic to me. I grabbed it the day you posted and love it. I also bought the Android companion app. To anyone who needs notation software, or needs the ability to customize string amounts and tunings, I would highly recommend Musescore also.

Stefan, That means you. If you haven't put to much time into Tabledit or find it wanting, you should check it out.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 7:59 am    

Brent Marklin wrote:
Michael James wrote:
Hi Brent,

Yeah, I wondered if it may have been something like that but the subject definitely was leaning toward a "why is there no software that addresses this limitation" angle so seemed on topic to me. I grabbed it the day you posted and love it. I also bought the Android companion app. To anyone who needs notation software, or needs the ability to customize string amounts and tunings, I would highly recommend Musescore also.

Stefan, That means you. If you haven't put to much time into Tabledit or find it wanting, you should check it out.

Great I will check it out.

How is it on importing MIDI to and having it auto remapped to your custom tuning?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 8:46 am    

Quote:
I am using the Mac OS X version

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I read that the Mac version of TE has a few limitations. I don't remember the particulars but it's possible that some of the features and options that work fine on the PC version don't work so well on the Mac version of TE.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 2:05 pm    

What's the input method for Musescore? Does it playback via MIDI? I need a simple, easy to use tablature creating method for 10 and 12 string pedal steel, someone tell me what's best and details on why, thanks.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 5:41 pm    

Stefan Robertson wrote:

How is it on importing MIDI to and having it auto remapped to your custom tuning?

That I don't know. Have not tried that yet.

John McClung wrote:

What's the input method for Musescore? Does it playback via MIDI? I need a simple, easy to use tablature creating method for 10 and 12 string pedal steel, someone tell me what's best and details on why, thanks.

Several input methods, point and click, keyboard shortcuts for notes and values, and midi input. To create custom string templetes you add a linked staff under the instruments setting for tablature, then right-click a staff for staff properties and to set the number of strings and tuning for each.

There are several tutorials that go more in depth..

This wasn't really intended for public consumption but here is an example that I transcribed from a standard notation Mel Bay Graded Guitar Duets book, mainly just to learn this software. I started playing with custom tunings a couple of days ago but have no examples of that.

It could use more tweaking but it gives an idea of the tabbing abilities.

https://musescore.com/user/6683196/scores/1619766

All I can say is give it a try. If you don't like it you are only out some bandwidth and the time invested.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2016 10:06 pm    

Brent thanks for posting that sample. Just my strong personal preference, but I can't tolerate the fret number on the string line, I want my numbers in spaces so i can add fingering notation, slides, etc. Looks like this won't suit me, dang. Sad

Brent Marklin

Evansville, IN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 5:31 am    

It seems I've become the Musescore Flagbearer here.. Smile. Not my intent. I mainly reawakened this topic to thank Michael for bringing it to my attention. All the fingering, chord charts, articulation symbols and whatnot are available. And after you said that about the number placement on lines I checked if it could be changed. It can. It's a very customizable setup.

I changed the first guitar part to spaces just to demostrate...

https://musescore.com/user/6683196/scores/1619766

It seems that I have barely scratched the surface on what this program is capable of. I'm still learning it so I'm not in a position to cover all of the nuances. It's free and open source so if someone has a need or is curious, there isn't much involved with grabbing it. Type in Musescore in Youtube and plenty of tutorials come up to get started. I have no doubt that most people here are familiar enough with these type of scoring programs that it would be an easy learn.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2016 8:19 pm    

Brent, thanks for sorting that out! Guess I'll look into it after all.

Paul Hoecherl

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2016 7:51 am    

MuseScore Developer and User here: Can confirm usability & extensibility are MuseScore primary design goals.
Also, can confirm the learning curve is a Bell, but once you get a few realistic scores done you should know everything you need to know to be pretty productive.
But scoring, staff generation, open annotation and arrangement are just a few of MuseScore capabilities.
I routinely use MuseScore to transcribe solos from recordings, often accompanied by combinations of Tab, Lyric or Chord charts.
I produce these for practice on E9 & C6 PSG, A6 & E13 8-string (console) and plain old 6-string guitar, and it's helped my playing a ton.

MuseScore is an open source software project - not commercial software (yep - it's free).
User feedback (mostly) drives the constant development of the product: the software perpetually evolves and improves over time.

But like any non-trivial software, I am most productive when I take the time to actually RTFM (thanks for the video links Brent!). I have found the learning curve higher than GuitarPro, but comparable to Finale (not Notepad!) or Sibelius. I have never used Encore, but I hear it's also a challenge to pick right up. I've found this process a much better investment of my time than learning to use a commercial product which often (if not always) has a similar learning curve, but no real feedback mechanism. If you want to know something about MuseScore that you can't find in the manual or videos, go to the MuseScore project forum and post your question: you will get answers, maybe even from the guy that coded the very feature you are working with.

But it does its job well once you learn how to use it: thats the most important thing.

My 0.02 fellas - HTH!

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 8:10 am    

I used to own Finale. I used it a couple of times but I could never get past the fact that I could only have it on one computer at a time. I felt like the Finale was telling what I could and couldn't do with my music.
When I found Musescore at version .9 (before the official release) I was glad I found something I could use on all my computers and all mys student could install it for free since it completely open source.
Now Musescore is at version 2.02 and is a major competitor in the music notation world.
I have made over 700 charts with it. I wrote a guitar method book with it, http://www.michaeljames.info/books and I use it everyday as a music teacher.
I make tabs for the steel guitar tuning I use Cma11, L-H CEGBDF.
I have donated money a couple of time to the Musecore project. It is great software and it will never go out of business leaving me unsupported or unable to access my music creations.

mj

Matthieu Leschemelle

Saint Germain en Laye, France
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 12:39 pm     Transcribing with TablEdit

Hi Steven,

1. How can I save my tuning to OPEN as a Default?

You can't. But if you have defined your instrument as a custom tuning, you can select it in the "New Tablature" dialog.

2. For some unknown reason I am unable to save my custom tuning in the tuning section?

In Instrument->Tuning, you have to define the tuning you want as usual. Then click the predefined tuning dropdown list. Ctrl click an unwanted custom tuning (with an asterisk). A dialog gives you the possibility to rename the instrument. Select OK. The new tuning is saved and can be reused.

3. How can I remove Unwanted Tunings with the Asterix next to them?

You can't but you can replace them with the tunings you want.

4. I want to import MIDI and have it mapped out on the tab. (Always gives me some random placement that is unplayable.)

I would need an example (the midi file + the destination tablature)

5. Chord diagrams are not possible for my 12 string tuning???

No. The diagrams are disabled if the string number is above 7. I did not know such huge diagrams could be useful.

Matthieu

Matthieu Leschemelle

Saint Germain en Laye, France
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2016 1:23 pm     Transcribing with TablEdit

Hi,

Thanks to Andy, I've learnt a new word: klugey Winking

But I would prefer to know why Andy considers TablEdit as buggy and inefficient for steel guitar.

I've implemented the support for PSG in 2001 with the help of Doug Beaumier. Since then, I did not make any further improvement. It is not because I don't want to change anything to my perfect sofware Winking Just because no one submitted an evolution request regarding steel guitar (except having more than 4 customizable tunings).

The program allows custom tuning from 6 to 12 strings and the use of levers and pedals. It displays the tab as you are used to. I think TE is the only program to feature these functionalities.

I'm ready to admit the configuration of the instrument is not as user friendly as it could be if the program was dedicated to PSG only. But this setting is probably not something you will do every day.

If the problem is creating scores in TablEdit, I would suggest the help file http://tabledit.com/help/english/tutorial.shtml and the tutorials made by Larry Kuhns http://el-kay.com/tabledit/index.htm.

And if you have questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask. I would appreciate to receive feedback
in order to improve / enhance the steel guitar support.

Best Regards.