INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2" reel to reel tape in recording studio
David Mitchell

Texas, USA
Post Posted 13 Jul 2016 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

Chris Lord Algae I think. Like the stuff tropical fish eat. He's got a truck load of urei 1176's he says he never adjust. So he has one specially set for bass, one for piano, organ, guitar, about 5 for different vocalist. I find that strange and actually hard to believe. He might as well mix in the box so they will all be the same on every song. I got a 1176LN free plugin that sounds just like the 4 urei hardware units I owned. I also had 2 of the old blue stripes that I got a small fortune for. Don't you just love pulling up a mix you made 10 years ago and everything is still the same? All I can say is What a Way To Live.
Emmons PP 8/10, Sho-Bud Pro ll 8/4, ZB Custom 8/4, MSA Classic 10/10, Fender 2000 10/2, Fender SF Quad Reverb, Fender BF Super Reverb, Fender Super Twin, Fender BF Vibroclone, Peavy Nashville 400, Peavy Nashville 1000, Peavy Session 400, Peavy Artist VT, Sho-Bud Christmas Tree
werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post Posted 14 Jul 2016 6:53 am     Reply with quote

David Mitchell wrote:
Chris Lord Algae I think. Like the stuff tropical fish eat. He's got a truck load of urei 1176's he says he never adjust. So he has one specially set for bass, one for piano, organ, guitar, about 5 for different vocalist. I find that strange and actually hard to believe. He might as well mix in the box so they will all be the same on every song. I got a 1176LN free plugin that sounds just like the 4 urei hardware units I owned. I also had 2 of the old blue stripes that I got a small fortune for. Don't you just love pulling up a mix you made 10 years ago and everything is still the same? All I can say is What a Way To Live.

Chris Lord Alge, not Algae Very Happy
I personally don't get this guy and don't like his mixes at all BUT he works fast and knows exactly what his clients want. Good for him. I usually prefer albums recorded and mixed by the same guy.
Finis Spier

Texas, USA
Post Posted 23 Jul 2016 2:40 pm     tape recorders Reply with quote

I had a four track studio in texas city when that was state of the art the only problem i had was the technology was updating every six months i could not keep up I had sound with sound ability for multiple takes but i found with tape the hiss would build up every time you added sound with sound I was able to cure some of that with dbx but it was fun while it lasted still have all my analog equipment if anybody is insterested in giving that whirl
b0b

Northern California
Post Posted 23 Jul 2016 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

I play bass in a rock band. We recently recorded an album, mostly live in the studio, onto 2-inch tape. We're really happy with the way it came out, but we knew going in that we weren't going to build it in layers or do much overdubbing. There were 2 full-band sessions with a few vocal harmony overdubs, and 2 smaller sessions where the guitar players fixed things they didn't like.

Afterwords, the engineer did the mastering on his own time and we signed off on it with a couple of minor corrections. All-in-all, the method was cost effective, and the CD sounds plenty good enough for promotional purposes. Here are the initial mixes of the first session, squashed down to MP3 for the internet:

http://wearethecoolers.com/songs-recorded-at-dirt-road-studio/

If we had been going for perfection, I think it would have been much more time-consuming to use tape. You spend a lot of time rewinding and cuing up if you're going for a layered production. But there's no denying that analog recording onto 2-inch tape sounds great if you have a good board and an engineer who knows it well.
werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post Posted 23 Jul 2016 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

b0b wrote:

... But there's no denying that analog recording onto 2-inch tape sounds great if you have a good board and an engineer who knows it well.

I'd add (or repeat myself) that there are vast differences between analog tape machines . A Trident 80B and a Studer 2" are a rather high end setup, no doubt you'd get great recordings if used by capable hands. Tracks sound good to me.
b0b

Northern California
Post Posted 26 Jul 2016 10:02 am     Reply with quote

I just realized that we have a page with the whole CD, live to 24-track, 2 inch tape, with just a few overdubs. It was a fun project.

http://wearethecoolers.com/cd-release-nats-scat/
Godfrey Arthur

Philippines
Post Posted 6 Oct 2016 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

David Mitchell wrote:
If analog is still being used it's the young people that think old is better.

Hehe, love the old API channel strips etc but a digital DAW is where it's at over tape.

Who wants to go back to linear recording multi track? Rolling Eyes

But mastering houses still use these.