The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB differences -- a question
C E Holden

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 10:07 am    

Within the last month, I've come to own 2 ZB's.
Not sure how that happened...anyhoo--

One is a '70 Bakersfield D-11, and the other is a later Texas SD-11 guitar (with the short headstock and tailpiece)--not sure on the year.
The '70 has a gorgeous tone, with a bright high-end shimmer. The Texas guitar doesn't...it almost does...but it's a lot darker sounding. Both have the tapped(?) or 3-way tone switch, and both have the original pickups. Were the earlier pickups wound differently? I'd like for the Texas guitar to have that "shimmer" like the Bakersfield guitar. Thoughts?

And that's another thing--I set both up essentially the same, with the same pivot points. The Bakersfield guitar has a quick and relatively stiff action, even on the "easiest" fulcrum points. The Texas guitar's action is a lot longer and easier utilizing the same pivot points on the belly strap, pull bars and trees. I haven't flipped both upside down and taken measurements, but I'm guessing that even though the undercarriage is of the same design, that the pivot points must be different on the later guitar, offering a different mechanical advantage.
??

Helpful insight is welcomed.

Thanks!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 10:21 am    

As far as pedal action, I've noticed that too. My D-10 has quicker action with less throw while my S-10 has a longer throw. I've tried just about everything. I can only guess it has to do with the length of the "cross strap" that is pulled by the crank (angled piece that the pedal rod is attached too). On the singles they had to make them longer to span the body width. On the doubles they are mounted in the center of the guitar, making them shorter resulting in a closer pivot point...makes sense?.

As far as the difference in tone, Zane wound his own in the early days. Not sure who wound them after that but the zb pickups are known to be a little inconsistent as far as output.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 7:16 am     Zb

Zane used stainless steel changer heads and in Texas at some time they started using alum changer heads, don't know for sure but think that would make a difference in tone.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2015 8:30 am    

It does make a big difference. I have both alum and stainless steel. My guitar sounds much better with the stainless steel caps.

GB

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 9:50 pm    

Those steel caps worked great for the ZB changer. But i don't know how SS works in other cases. I believe Zane made some early BMI's with SS fingers (the whole upper finger, not just caps)I've always wondered how those BMI's sounded. If anyone has ever played any of those BMI's I'd love to know.