The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Love this trend of mixing steel with pop music
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 5:47 am    

I don't really know what to call it any more, maybe not pop, not quite rock...whatever, but I'm loving it! Perfect example right here Shawn Colvin doing Tom Waits.
http://youtu.be/yFXqTpIEM7U

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 6:10 am    

That singer songwriter, Americana, pop whatever world is very fertile ground for steel players. There are hundreds of working players doing pretty well playing some beautiful music out there.

The king of steel players in that world is Greg Leisz. His approach has led the way for many.

The Colven track sounds like either Paul Franklin or somebody playing like him. He has developed ways of playing steel that make it a important part of the music and not just a country cliche.

Guys like Greg and Paul make it so guys like me can make a living playing steel well outside of the country music scene.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 7:22 am    

Bob, this is the one that started it for me, and as you said, Greg Leisz is pioneering that sound right here:
http://youtu.be/gwg2sdRdahM

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 7:38 am    

His playing with Bill Frisell on Guitars in the Space Age is a perfect example. In their live performance, they played several folk songs.
Here's the link to the album, including Turn, Turn, Turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuV_1sEhh0&list=PLMw4NOLwxJo3Pdj7vYxbvijGW2rbSs7Do
No accident that Joni Mitchell asked him to accompany her.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 9:15 am    

Quote:
That singer songwriter, Americana, pop whatever world is very fertile ground for steel players.

Glad to see this trend developing. Could I go so far as to say it may become the salvation for many struggling steelers currently stuck in the honky tonk world. Cool

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 10:11 am     Re: Love this trend of mixing steel with pop music

Tony Palmer wrote:
I don't really know what to call it any more, maybe not pop, not quite rock...whatever, but I'm loving it! Perfect example right here Shawn Colvin doing Tom Waits.
http://youtu.be/yFXqTpIEM7U

IMO,this song sounds more "country" than the stuff they're actually labeling as country these days.

I enjoyed this song.
Thanks for posting it.

**I have the same opinion about the song that you posted from Robert Plant and Alison Kraus.
Very nice!
My oh my,how times have changed when a former member of Led Zeppelin sounds more country than the so called country artists these days.

Now if only McCartney would turn country. Ha!
(He certainly has dabbled with it before).

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 10:23 am    

alot of americanaish artists use steel.
and many of them think they are...or wish they were...playing honky tonk music!
most of them aren't, but maybe someday they will.

you can quote me

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 11:04 am    

Great tunes, thanks for posting them, guys.

Pedal steel tracks like these add a dimension that makes simple, well executed songs alluring, time after time.

I'm impressed by players with great chops, a huge bag of tricks, they could easily show-off, but don't. Tremendous skill combined with taste and restraint. Beautiful!

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 11:20 am     Re: Love this trend of mixing steel with pop music

Rick Schacter wrote:
Now if only McCartney would turn country. Ha! (He certainly has dabbled with it before).

Yep, one of Lloyd's regrets was declining McCartney's tour invitation. Paul Franklin cites Lloyd's counsel, when he accepted Mark Knopfler's offer to join the Dire Straits tour.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 11:20 am    

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.
Duke Ellington

Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 2:23 pm    

To my ears this recording is the perfect blend of a great tune, beautiful voice, acoustic guitar and pedal steel. Lifted my spirit today. Thanks

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 4:55 pm    

Eric Heywood! Love his sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sgJpRd5-pM

Walter Bowden

Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 5:56 pm    

I also am appreciating the use of pedal steel in a lot of the "new" music. When I point out the steel guitar parts on a contemporary Americana band song to young friends of mine, I try to do a bit of education regarding the potential of the instrument across musical settings.

Most of them appreciate the instrument's addition to the overall sound of the song and the steel parts seem to be on the E9 neck primarily.

To give some credit to these newer bands and their fans, they don't see to mind an older and experienced player in the bands and recording process and the new players are usually very appreciative of advice to improve their playing.

I think that is how music or any creative endeavor should be. Young players or apprentices learn their craft from journeymen or masters in order to learn.

I know when I was learning to play guitar the "old guys" were the first to recommend I use a banjo string instead of the standard wound G string in Black Diamond/Gibson/Fender string sets way before Ernie Balls and other light gauge string were on the market.

I might add to John's post that I heard Duke Ellington was also quoted to say "If it sounds good, it is good".

Best wishes y'all. Walter

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 9:14 pm    

This is a link to sorry about the making of one of my favorite albums.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPr2_Bhcgs It's not new pop but it's some really great music that uses steel in a very musical way... If I had to be stranded on an island for awhile, this would be one of five albums I would want to have with me.. I would highly recomend you go to iTunes and buy it.. BTW, it's not steel heavy at all! In fact part of the appeal to me is that you have to really listen to even recognize it...

Last edited by Wally Moyers on 22 Nov 2015 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 4:28 am    

Good documentary, Wally. Those songs are surely Americana; Ray Charles and The Everly Brothers are almost folk music.
And Randy Newman's 'Guilty,' one of my favorites--doesn't get much folkier than that. Just needs more pedal steel!
Larry Klein knows what he's doing. Joni Mitchell is responsible for lots of folk music, some that inspired Greg Leisz to tour with her.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2015 5:51 am    

Part of the appeal of this style is it forces the player to seriously think outside the box...the "box" in this case being resorting to cliche 3rd and 5th strings with moving pedals, and the myriad of other well used country pedal steel licks. Instead (the examples used in this post so far) treat the pedal steel much more holistically, without flashy speed licks and more chordal and/or cello-like fills.
I will tell you one thing...it's harder than it sounds to pull it off! Fighting back decades of standard steel licks and trying to use creative, subtle backup fills is challenging...and I love it!

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 11:46 am     Re: Love this trend of mixing steel with pop music

Rick Schacter wrote:

**I have the same opinion about the song that you posted from Robert Plant and Alison Kraus.
Very nice!
My oh my,how times have changed when a former member of Led Zeppelin sounds more country than the so called country artists these days.

funny, i came here to say how much that track sounds like Low. he ended up covering two Low songs on a single record...

http://youtu.be/Wy-u_06d9SQ

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 12:06 pm    

I watched a PBS show over the weekend called the Americana Music Festival or something like that.

Sort of a hodgepodge of music hosted by Jim Lauderdale. It was LeeAnne Womack, the Mavericks, I think, David Hidalgo and LL plus several others that I wasn't really familiar with.

There was a guy playing a D10 Sho-Bud on some of the spots and a fiddle on others. I missed his first name, but I think the last was Kaplin? They were great about listing the names underneath while they were playing, but I had turned back to the tv too late to catch the name.

Buddy Miller was there as well. Very enjoyable and listenable music show. One of the spots was Ricky Skaggs with the Whites doing a gospel song with Ry Cooder on banjo. Not surprising, but I did not know Ry was a banjo picker. I almost did not recognize him....or Ricky for that matter.

Maybe this type of thing will generate interest in country sounds sort of like country rock did in the 70's.

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 12:18 pm    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:

The Colven track sounds like either Paul Franklin or somebody playing like him. He has developed ways of playing steel that make it a important part of the music and not just a country cliche.

Looks like it's Milo Deering on that track. Sounds great!

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 12:57 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

There was a guy playing a D10 Sho-Bud on some of the spots and a fiddle on others. I missed his first name, but I think the last was Kaplin?

Fats!

i saw the Cooder/Skaggs band the next night, followed by Miller/Ribot. both groups tore the place down.
i was in heaven seeing Ry and Marc in a row like that...
Marc played a very beautiful (and very NYC) intro to Cold Cold Heart that was really incredible. people went nuts!

unfortunately, this only has just the very end of the intro, but still:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVmG4dEjgM

j

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 2:27 pm    

Fats Kaplin! Sure, I knew that Embarassed I don't think I'd ever seen an image of him.

I've seen a couple of these shows on PBS and will keep a heads up for others like it.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2015 5:51 am    

Soothing tune.

New music.

Pop-country.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 2:05 pm    

https://youtu.be/mANjtvU7sls?list=FLuStEhW9cZFvO0HNkl2_lOA

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 2:12 pm    

Cool Damir....nice 'n easy listening.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2015 2:47 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Cool Damir....nice 'n easy listening.

thank you my friend...something little different I guess... only 1-2 rehearsals for 3 hours of mostly original stuff , no bass or drums, and recorded with a cell phone lol.. I was expecting it to be much worse than this...