The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 11:41 am    

Many software companies are working on the next upgrade when they introduce the current version. I know this is the case, as I have friends who work for Microsoft and Adobe.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 2:45 pm    

With the complexity of OS systems and applications software there is NONE that is 100% perfect. Apple is no different.

Consider Apple controls both the hardware and OS Software and they still have problems. Microsoft has to design the software to work with thousands of potential hardware configurations. Then there are those that have obsolete hardware and software and still want it to work with that. If you have Apple and old hardware it won't work.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2015 3:01 pm    

Years ago, I was beta-testing Windows 95 for Microsoft. As 1995 came to a close it wes obvious that they weren't going to be able to iron out all the bugs before the end of the year, so they removed some of the features and released it anyway. It took three years to iron out those bugs, and Windows 98 was just what they originally intended Windows 95 to be. So, when you paid for an upgrade you were actually paying Microsoft to correct their own errors. Rolling Eyes

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 4:15 am    

That's all I'm sayin.' We're the testbed, and what we buy and support will be what they'll support.
If there are features of Win10 that are worse than 8, that will be the future, and MS will say we wanted it.
Just because it's free doesn't mean we're not buying into it....

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2015 6:42 am    

There is a lot of software that way. EVERY recording studio(DAW)program I've seen has bugs. ProTools, Sonar, Cubase, etc. Yet we buy these programs. I have Sonar (Platinum version) and there has been an update every month, some of each update is fixes (they have found and what users have reported) and others are enhancements or additional plugins.

I've had 4 updates for my iPhone6 in the last couple of months (and they still haven't fixed a bug in Outlook.com (Hotmail)).

Win 10 is a "better" Win 8.1.

The forum owner, b0b, used to work as a programmer. Ask him about buggy software.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 5:25 am    

My bad.

Last edited by Archie Nicol on 6 Jan 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 4:25 pm    

Having just upgraded to Windows 10, everything seems to have gone well. There is one problem that also occurred on 8:1. Whilst on Facebook I can access `My Pictures` but my wife can't on hers. She likes to share old family pics and the like, but when she clicks on `Photos`, there is nothing there except a couple of samples. An ideas?

Thanks.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 4:31 pm    

Just the sort of problems I encountered on Win10 that rolled me back to 8.1.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 5:07 pm    

Archie Nicol wrote:
She likes to share old family pics and the like, but when she clicks on `Photos`, there is nothing there except a couple of samples. An ideas?
No "browse" option?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2016 5:39 pm    

Archie Nicol wrote:
Whilst on Facebook I can access `My Pictures` but my wife can't on hers. She likes to share old family pics and the like, but when she clicks on `Photos`, there is nothing there except a couple of samples. An ideas?

Sounds a lot to me like the old Windows bugaboo "user access". As the Windows versions progress, so do the incremental "security-related" restrictions on users' access to files - who can do what, with a specific Windows installation. Even when files are copied from one source to another, the "access" to those files can change. It's quite frustrating - the files can be your own, and yet, Windows decides you shouldn't have access to them.

IMO, it's a PITA, and I do everything I can to defeat it, although it's not always possible to change this behavior. I don't think any of this is anything but an inconvenience to users, and I refuse to use UAC. There; I've said it.

Edit: Re-reading this today, it occurs to me that Facebook may have its own version of user access controls, so it could also be a settings thing there. Dunno - I don't do "social media".

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 10:37 am    

Current plans are to have a dual boot system. That is, to put the windows 10 offer that I have on to a thumb drive, keeping the win 7 on my computer. and then change my boot system to first look at the thumb drive and if it's not there to continue on to the (C) drive and win 7?
I don't believe my C drive is big enough to hold win 7 and win 10.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 3:29 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
Current plans are to have a dual boot system. That is, to put the windows 10 offer that I have on to a thumb drive, keeping the win 7 on my computer. and then change my boot system to first look at the thumb drive and if it's not there to continue on to the (C) drive and win 7?

I didn't know one could even do that, booting to an OS on a thumb drive. Even if I could, I'd be looking hard at another internal drive, if that's what's required. They're really down in pricing these days, even SSDs.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 9:48 am    

I'm going to attempt to make a Dual-Boot as soon as my
D: drive is done formatting. I'll let you know if it works.
If all goes well I'll post the link with the info I'm using.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 12:36 pm    

Archie Nicol wrote:
...I can access `My Pictures` but my wife can't on hers...
The answer is, never use the "My Pictures" folder. It's not safe to keep your precious photos on your main C: drive. Keep them on an external hard disk, and keep a backup. Apart from being immune to a computer crash, you can unplug a USB drive and plug it into a different computer and have all your photographs, home movies and music available. I even take a USB drive with me when I'm travelling abroad, so that I have access to my material wherever I go. Cool

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 5 Feb 2016 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2016 12:40 pm    

Ken Lang wrote:
I attempted to put an operating system on a photographic memory card, but I wasn't able to. My computer will boot from floppies or from a CD, or even from a USB port, but not from a memory card, which is a shame. It would be useful to have several different operating systems on those little cards and slip in whichever you wanted. Problems with Windows 10 compatibility? Just pull your memory card out and replace it with one with Windows XP or Ubuntu on it ...or even DOS 6.2 if you have old programmes. Very Happy

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 3:06 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
It would be useful to have several different operating systems on those little cards and slip in whichever you wanted. Problems with Windows 10 compatibility? Just pull your memory card out and replace it with one with Windows XP or Ubuntu on it ...or even DOS 6.2 if you have old programmes. Very Happy

This would be an excellent idea for the future of operating systems, but doubtful it would happen due to lack of profits for the developers.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 7:38 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
My computer will boot from floppies...

"Floppies"? What's a "floppy"?

Just kidding.

But computers haven't been offered with floppy drives for some time now, and sometimes I do get a chuckle out of some of the legacy stuff discussed here.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 9:53 am    

Dave Potter wrote:
Alan Brookes wrote:
My computer will boot from floppies...

"Floppies"? What's a "floppy"?

Just kidding.

But computers haven't been offered with floppy drives for some time now, and sometimes I do get a chuckle out of some of the legacy stuff discussed here.

floppy's were a storage medium used back in the stone age. Laughing I wonder if can still buy them.

Alan... Couldn't you use thumb drives instead of SD cards to do what you want?

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 11:50 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
...Alan... Couldn't you use thumb drives instead of SD cards to do what you want?
I'll have to try it. I don't have any thumb drives at the moment. People keep borrowing them and thinking they don't need to return them. Rolling Eyes
No, they don't put 3½" floppy drives in computers nowadays, and the youngsters don't even remember 5¼" floppy drives. I remember CP/M and 8¼" floppy drives. In fact I wrote my first treatise on them, using WordStar. Whoa! (That work has in the interim gone from there through a bunch of other steps and is now on a USB drive in MS Windows.)
They also don't put Serial and Parallel Ports in them. When connecting up a new laptop into my system I suddenly was faced with having to buy an adapter so that I could use my old 20 yr. old HP Laserjet III on a USB port. Rolling Eyes

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2016 3:46 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
I suddenly was faced with having to buy an adapter so that I could use my old 20 yr. old HP Laserjet III on a USB port.

And then, they rolled out wireless connectivity. It's just not fair. Rolling Eyes

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2016 7:47 pm    

Just loaded win 10 on my computer. Seems OK, with nothing missing, tho I did back it up just in case. I wanted to put it on an external hard drive but wasn't given the chance.
Oh well, it's OK. I"ll keep it.