The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Surprise practice tool from recording
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 6:18 am    

This is hardly anything new but I never did it before and was surprised.
I was recording Why Me Lord as an instrumental, so it was pretty well rehearsed and I played it mostly the same way each time I rerecorded my track to clean it up.
But when I played it back and played along with the track I just recorded I found it just a little bit difficult to stay right on pitch with myself! Who knew? Thought with a slow easy melody there'd be no problem but it was challenging.
Good practice tool to work on pitch correction.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 7:33 am    

When I recorded my first album, the best advice i received was to tune before each take, if you do that, you are sure everything is always in tune... Its a pain if one string on one take is out of tune a quarter tone.....

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2015 8:24 am    

To clarify...the problem I experienced was bar control to maintain the same pitch I had just recorded. Incremental off pitch playing is usually not noticeable and is offset by the other instruments but when I was essentially double tracking it I heard a lot more than I expected.
On one hand it would be cool to double track the whole song and use it for real time chorus effect (again nothing new here..) but the point I was making was by attempting this, it also serves as a good practice tool to play in tune.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 8:06 pm    

I agree. Some of it probably has to do with if you're using monitors or headphones. With sound traveling rather slowly at 1100 ft/sec, and reflections you might get in your room, etc... your ears can play tricks on you. Also, depending on how you're recording, you might be getting some latency in the "live" track vs. recorded track. This will also sound weird. Finally, if you're using headphones, you don't get the true stereo mix because the left is getting only left and the right only right, but with monitors, both ears get some of both sides..... unless you're working in totally mono.

1100 ft/sec sounds fast until you think about it. Considering a sound one mile away has occurred about 5 seconds before you hear it.

RC

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 3:21 am    

Interesting comment about the latency as I am going direct and what I hear is the monitored sound through the recorder, not a "live" sound.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2015 9:59 pm    

I'm assuming you're using a computer based recording setup. Going direct is where you could get the latency. By "live" I mean the playing you are doing as opposed to the track you are listening too. Basically, you don't get latency on the recorded track you are listening to. You get it on the input you are currently going direct with unless you have a way to monitor prior to the signal entering the DAW with an onboard DSP in your interface.

Forgetting all the latency, headphones, room acoustics, etc.... I've always found it hard to play in unison with a track. I suppose it's because I was taught not to play the same notes as the singer is singing, or the lead player is playing. Too much clashing in that situation.

For me, trying to figure all this stuff out is why playing around with recording music is so much fun. I get frustrated with the problems, and then when it all works too easy, I get bored. So, like you, I keep on experimenting with different things.

RC