The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many own a Fender quad ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 11:13 am    

I was about 20 when I got my first steel guitar...it was a Fender Quad that belonged to my guitar and steel teacher, Bill Pruitt, in Oklahoma. He sold it to me for $150 and I traded it back into him in a couple of years for a Fender 400 pedal steel, as I could hardly wait to get into pedal steel. This was in 1967 or so. I really would like to have a quad for nostalgia sake and tune that top neck baritone. I am curious how many of you still own and play a Fender quad. There probably arent that many still around, since some of them had been parted out, sadly, and made into single and double necks. I enjoy watching those youtubes of Buddy Merrill playing his on the LW show ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Russell Davis

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 12:47 pm     Fender Quad

They're still out there!
Very Happy
I've picked up a few of them over the years.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:04 pm    

Here's mine:
S/N 0002

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:13 pm    

Thats a beauty Erv. Hey Russel, pick me up one, for a neighboring Okie ? My daughter lives in Dallas and my son lives in Austin. If you ever get any leads on one, please let me know Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:28 pm    

Larry,
It didn't look that way when I got it. It had been spray painted blue, not once, but twice, it was a mess. I completely disassembled it, refinished it and put it back together again. Now it looks like it should. Very Happy

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 1:49 pm    

Here's a before and after pic of mine.

Funny that it was blue like Erv's.

I was gigging with it last night although I must confess, my double and triple necks get used more.

As far as I know, there is only one other quad in the UK, owned by BJ Cole.

Russell Davis

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 2:02 pm    

Hey Larry,
I sure will! I run across them from time to time. Do you have a finish and scale length preference?

Russell

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 3:06 pm    

Here's mine!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 3:13 pm    

Quote:
I really would like to have a quad for nostalgia sake and tune that top neck baritone.

I have a baritone C6 tuning on the front (outer) neck. Those thick strings really growl... or is that "groan"?!

Russell Davis

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 3:17 pm    

Beautiful guitar Doug! I've got one just like that, although the finish is not as nice. Very Happy

Russell Davis

Fort Worth Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 3:21 pm    

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 4:00 pm    

wow guys, those are really cool ! The one I had back in the 60s had a "pinkish" look to it Sad
Russell, I have a 3 neck stringmaster that is a a 26 1/2 inch scale, I think, and I like that a lot. I wouldnt care about the finish,,my 3 necker has lots of scratches and nicks in it, but it has character, I say.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 4:11 pm    

Yeah, mine has a few "character marks" since those pictures were taken. These old nitro finishes scratch off very easily, unlike today's thick poly finishes on guitars. And it seems like the walnut finishes show the bare spots more than the blonde.

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 7:39 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
I really would like to have a quad for nostalgia sake and tune that top neck baritone.

I have a baritone C6 tuning on the front (outer) neck. Those thick strings really growl... or is that "groan"?!

Can you talk about that a little bit? Never heard of baritone c6. Could you string that up on anything or is the outer neck designed to accommodate thicker strings?

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 8:00 pm    

I have a 1953 long scale

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 8:36 pm    

Chas, that looks like a really nice one ! Mine had push buttons, so that would make it more in the middle of the 50s I think I have read. Thanks for posting these great pictures, guys !!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2015 9:07 pm    

Adam, yes, the front neck is set up for a baritone tuning. The nut on that neck has extra wide slots to accommodate thick strings and the holes on the tuner shafts are drilled out larger for thick, wound strings. Every 4-neck Stringmaster I've seen has this setup on the front neck.

Fender recommended a tuning they called "A6 Major & Minor" on that neck.

Tab:

E  .032
C# .038
A  .044
F# .048
E  .055
C# .071
A  .087
F  .110

I chose to go with C6, one octave lower than standard C6 tuning.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 12:10 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Adam, yes, the front neck is set up for a baritone tuning. The nut on that neck has extra wide slots to accommodate thick strings and the holes on the tuner shafts are drilled out larger for thick, wound strings. Every 4-neck Stringmaster I've seen has this setup on the front neck.

This applies to the triples as well as the quads.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 7:28 am    

Quote:
This applies to the triples as well as the quads.

Yes, I forgot about that! I had a triple about a dozen years ago, but I haven't seen one in a while.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 8:05 am    

When I was playing my T-8 Stringmaster, I put bass strings on the bottom 4 strings on my top neck. The polka band I was playing with didn't have a bass player so I played the bass part on those 4 strings.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 10:39 am    

Thanks for pointing that out about the triple neckers !
I hadnt noticed that...I like my current setup..C6th on bottom, E13th in the middle, and A6th on top..redundant I know, but I like the C6th for certain tunes and the tone of the A6th for others...which still leaves me longing for the 4th neck !! haha
If 3 is great, then 4 is greater ! Smile

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 3:47 pm    

[img]

Very Happy You guys are pikers ! Did you ever see Duke with his 7 necker? Whoa! Cool Rolling Eyes
Wally[/img]

Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2015 4:06 pm    

Mahalo nui loa Wally.

Ron

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 3:07 pm    

Fully restored. Sounds great.
Original case is usable but has many miles.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 5:59 pm    

Wow, Don, that is stunning !! Nice work !