The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Professional/Pro II trick
Adam Przybyla

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 6:41 pm    

I've recently finished rebuilding and setting up an old Professional and I came up with a nifty little trick I thought I'd share. Now, I'm the kind of guy who likes all of his pulls to be timed absolutely perfectly, and I managed to get most of them evened out by using Ricky's ingenious "spring secrets." However, there were just a few, namely the 8th string lower on E9 and the 9th string raise/lower on C6, that I couldn't quite time right, no matter how many different string gauges and spring tricks I tried. SO, I decided to borrow an idea from the push/pull school of thought, and I put compression springs between the socket caps and the changer fingers of those strings, which basically slows down the pulls (or lengthens the amount of travel; however you want to look at it). A little experimentation with spring lengths, and VOILA! Smooth, dead even pulls on the E-Eb lever and pedals 5 and 8.

The springs are really short (only about two coils), and they make the socket caps stick out a little farther than the others, but that's no big deal to me. I know that one big gripe about these barrel tuner guitars is the supposed inability to time the pulls, but I've got this one working as smoothly as anything else I've ever played. Time will tell how stable the tuning proves to be with this method, but it seems good so far, and if it works on an Emmons, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. Has anybody else ever tried this?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 7:00 pm    

GREAT stuff Adam. Good going man.
Ricky

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 7:41 pm    

It does what you say, but now you have to do more work every time you mash that pedal.

Adam Przybyla

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2015 8:53 pm    

Thanks Ricky! Your posts and photos have been invaluable to me in getting the most out of this guitar.

Earnest, that may be, but can't the same be said for using different hole positions in conventional bellcranks to achieve even pulls? I know I've made some B pedals feel pretty dang stiff, trying to even out the 3rd and 6th string raises.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2015 12:43 pm    

Hey Adam, just saw this, great idea but does it stay in tune? Looks to me like with the spring between there, there wouldn't be a positive pedal stop. Your stop would be the tension of the spring.
Push pulls have a solid changer to body stop so the spring tension makes really no difference whether it's in tune or not, as long as changer hits body.
If it works, great, good idea for timing pulls.
I also like my pulls smooth and timed right together.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 7:20 am    

Could the spring be placed at the other end of the rod, between the barrel and the basket (or puller)?

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 7:32 am    

Nice job- thanks for posting this.

Adam Przybyla

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2015 7:56 am    

Bruce, when I first had the idea, I tried to think of a way to implement it like that, but the problem is that the little "stem" of spring protruding from the barrel wouldn't be able to catch on the basket, thereby eliminating the ability to tune the pull at the endplate.

Henry, I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense, but so far the tuning on those changes seems as stable as any of the others that don't have springs. I'm still playing around with the setup and haven't really spent enough time with this guitar to see how well the tuning stability holds up. That was definitely an aspect of the push/pull that I liked; I pretty much never had to tune the thing.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2015 2:09 am    

Definitely a no-no putting a spring in that position.

You are relying on the spring reacting exactly the same way, every time that you lower the 8th string.

On a push-pull, the changer fingers bottom out solidly when activated, and the compression springs have no bearing whatsoever on tuning stability, but your tuning stability is at the mercy of your compression spring reacting consistently.