The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Moving to texas which area is better for finding gigs?
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2015 5:54 pm    

Hi everyone.. I'm new to the forum but not new to playing. It's a sad world today because we are slowly losing one of our greatest treasures and I'm talking about true Country Music. The crap they are playing today "hick hop", "bro country" is in my opinion, horrid!
Trying to find a true country band to play with and places to play nowadays is nearly impossible anywhere in the United States. I live in South Louisiana and in my younger days could play 7 nights a week easily but that's a thing of the past now. I surely wish I knew how to fix it but I'm afraid it's too late!
Thanks for letting me vent a little!
Dale

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 10:28 am    

I'm lucky enough to be playing 4 nights a week here,all house gigs, but with the exception of my weekend band, which was just voted the #1 classic country band in Florida by the OBCMA, the bands here suck pretty bad. The money ain't great, but it's better than staying home.
We will be heading to Pigeon Forge in March to play the Country Tonight theater.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 10:31 am    

BTW to answer your original question...I too have Texas in the back of my mind, and have done some research. It seems that nowadays, the best scene in Texas is the DFW area. A style called "Red Dirt" is popular there now. That area is too cold for me; but I WOULD consider the I-35 corridor between Austin & SA were I to relocate there. Prolly around Buda, San Marcos, or New Braunfels.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 10:59 am     Really?

That is odd. Our original plan was DFW and we were there for a couple of days last October 2014. I called Albert Talley of the Texas Steel Guitar Association and a great player. I asked him where we could go to see some steel or even some country music. He told me to forget it, there was no country bars anymore around Dallas. There was one or 2 in Fort Worth but that was it. He said if it was 10 years ago there would have been quite a few but no more. I can't imagine that the DFW scene has changed that much in a year. Also all the restaurants and gas stops were playing hip-hop. When we drove south towards Austin/San Antonio it was exactly the opposite. They were playing country in MaDonalds and all the gas stations and restaurants. It was then we decided to move to San Antonio/Austin area. Maybe if you are right we should reconsider DFW.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2015 2:32 pm    

Ron,

There are lots of places to hear steel in the DFW area especially during the weekends. While there are really no more Country Bars in Dallas, there are many clubs in the suburbs that have country venues. Fairfield's in Richardson is one, and there are many more in the Ft. Worth area. The stockyards normally have a lot of venues going on and there are several dance halls as well. Western Kountry Klub and the Stage Coach are 2 that come to mind.

At least its a start. And while I believe we have several to offer I still think there is a greater concentration of good venues from Austin to San Antonio. Maybe Herb Steiner could chime in here.

Happy Holidays

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2015 8:39 pm    

Ron,
I agree Dallas / Fort Worth Area, maybe Austin. Most bands in Houston have steels, but worth a try.
Austin area really nice area also hill country, I wouldn't move into Austin , but around it.