The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Crushed glass and crickets - Russian review of Soledad
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 9:11 am    

Here is a new review of the Soledad album from the Ukranian website Neformat, one of the most unusual I think I've ever read (in Russian):

http://www.neformat.com.ua/forum/other/76642-susan-alcorn.html

https://translate.google.com/

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 20 Oct 2015 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 10:10 am    

Susan, I'm not sure what kind of review that was. Seemed a little incoherent at times (if the translation was indeed correct). I really don't get the "jelly" part at all. Maybe a Star Trek Universal Translator would help?

I'll just say what I've heard of your work deserves praise, not irrelevant references to "jelly".

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:22 pm    

Ah, the old 'giant cricket' analogy of Russian literature. Consider yourself to have been deeply complimented and don't ask questions...

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:31 pm    

Thanks Jim, although I think Piazzolla was the one being referred to as the giant cricket (he does occasionally write extended techniques for the violin that can sound a bit like a cricket). I do think the reviewer meant well, and I'm honored to be part of the effort to return the world to its original state (thank God for steel guitars - and for metal).

Here's a more accurate translation courtesy of Misha Feigin:

"Susan Alcorn was born with crushed glass instead bones, hot air-balloons instead lungs and soap bubbles instead of a heart, The world has always cut and still is cutting her inside and out. Perhaps that why Susan plays steel guitar, the metal does not let Susan completely turn to jelly, and holding the guitar perpendicularly, she returns the world, normally perpendicular, into its original state. Susan's last album, Soledad - this is already not music, but a melancholy drawing over the crystalline waters. Alcorn performs music of Astor Piazzolla, the only composer about whom it's hard to tell - was he a human or a giant cricket."

Smile

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 20 Oct 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:34 pm    

...that makes a little more sense, but I'll take Jim's word on it being a compliment. Neither will I ask any questions....

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:36 pm    

I'd say it's a positive review, although the reader has to read between the lines to decipher what the writer is trying to say.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:39 pm    

Susan Alcorn wrote:
Here's a more accurate translation courtesy of Misha Feigan:

"Susan Alcorn was born with crushed glass instead bones, hot air-balloons instead lungs and soap bubbles instead of a heart, The world has always cut and still is cutting her inside and out. Perhaps that why Susan plays steel guitar, the metal does not let Susan completely turn to jelly, and holding the guitar perpendicularly, she returns the world, normally perpendicular, into its original state. Susan's last album, Soledad - this is already not music, but a melancholy drawing over the crystalline waters. Alcorn performs music of Astor Piazzolla, the only composer about whom it's hard to tell - was he a human or a giant cricket."

Oh yeah; now it makes a whole lot more sense... Rolling Eyes

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2015 3:36 pm    

At least they got the part about the melancholy drawing over the crystalline waters right. Although it is already music.