The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question For You Kemper Guys/Gals
Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 1:25 pm    

Those of you who have been using a Kemper profiling amp for a while: any favorite steel amp profiles you'd like to pass along. I've just ordered one of these. I got the rackmount used. It'd be cool if someone has profiled a bunch of steel amps I've never had the pleasure of trying. Ex: Milkman, Webb, etc.. Also some of the standards NV400, Steelking, etc. Someone who's real good at this should work up a steel amp bundle & sell it. I guess you have to change the names to protect the innocent though. Michael Britt has done a lot of "Fernders". Or that might be Ampfactory I can't recall.

Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2015 7:52 pm    

I just dl'd the profiles that were free from the company to add to those my Kemper came with and tried them...I like a couple big twin profiles, a deluxe, and a couple Dumbles, as well as a few other individual ones that might fit into some of the music, (non country), that my band plays...then tweak them with the vol/eq/fx/et that you prefer ... the Kemper works great direct into PA, tho I use a monitor speaker connected to the rackmount 600 watt amp inside it...(helps to have a soundman who knows how to mix which isn't always the case)
Here are a couple recent vids from my Garth Brooks tribute band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFn_uZ16MgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROgyAtugNtc

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 27 Oct 2015 10:06 am    

Gerry, Are you using some kind of midi pedal or anything to quickly switch things around or have you found a convenient way to mount it close by. I'm away from home & my steel right now but my fat jazzbox sounds better than ever through the TAF Big Twin profile. In fact my old early '70s twin never sounded this good. Amazing stuff.

Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2015 8:28 pm    

Scott, I have my Kemper in a soft rack case and if I have the stage room, use a stand (sort of like this one: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS7705), just off my right side...easy and fast to adjust. I usually just pick the amp and sound for the particular tune and leave it, perhaps adding a hit on my distortion pedal when needed. I like that big twin sound too and use it for much of the country material...I have heard (not sure if true), that Garth's current steelman also uses a Kemper, and since I play in a Garth tribute band, I wonder what he prefers!!??
I haven't felt the need to profile anything yet tho some friends have asked me to profile my Dr. Z amp...I am also using it on a fairly basic level and haven't put real energy into a song by song setup as my different bands are kind of....ummm...unsettled... Smile

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 7:36 pm    

http://www.mbrittprofiles.com
This is a link to Michael Britt's site.. Michael is a member and guitar player for Lonestar... He has many great profiles including Little Walters, Fender twins etc... Bruce Bouton, my son Jeremy and I are using a Session 400 profile that Michael sent us to try. It sounds good... He will be doing more in the future... In my first stomp box slot I have the Studio EQ, it is a very powerful EQ...I use it to get an average tone that I like and then use the Kemper EQ's on the front panel to do fine tuning... You can email Micheal and ask him about when the profile will be available... The Kemper is a very powerful piece of equipment... I use it with two small EV powered floor monitors and send a stereo pair to FOH... Great effects along with tap delay and sweet reverb...The best rotary effect I'v ever heard... I use it on shows that have a big P.A.... If I'm playing in a smaller Venue I use my Little Walter 80, have a 89 on the way...

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 7:53 pm    

This is a stand I put together that works great...

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 2:16 pm    

Nice stand Wally. I've got the rackmount version so I'll probably set my small rack box w/ Kemper & Lex MPX1 on a tilt adjustable amp stand. Michael Britt sent me those NV 400 profiles. I'm away for a while but will get to those this winter. Thanks again for letting me know about those.
One concern I've read about on the Kemper site is if there is even the smallest power interruption (lightning strike, etc.) you can be out of commission in the middle of a tune until it boots back up. Guys have described it as being very embarrassing Embarassed I guess for live stuff one should bring a UPS backup. It would be nice to find a rack mount UPS but here we go again with the weight issue.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 2:21 pm    

You may want to ask Bruce what he does when he's out with Garth.. I know a lot of big acts are using them.. Happy to help, Michael is a great guy.. Best profiles out there... He could tell you how he handles the power thing too..

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 4:29 pm    

After reading a bit more from players that have had to wait while it rebooted it looks like the solution is a UPS battery power backup. The non-powered profiler version doesn't use hardly anything so a very small UPS should be adequate. Here's one that was suggested by a guy that had that problem once on stage. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343&cm_re=BE550G-_-42-101-343-_-Product

I'll start using that before it happens.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 5:20 pm    

Thats pretty cheep insurance....

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 8:17 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
After reading a bit more from players that have had to wait while it rebooted it looks like the solution is a UPS battery power backup. The non-powered profiler version doesn't use hardly anything so a very small UPS should be adequate. Here's one that was suggested by a guy that had that problem once on stage. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101343&cm_re=BE550G-_-42-101-343-_-Product

I'll start using that before it happens.

Scott,
I was talking to my son Jeremy this morning. He played three shows with Lonestar last weekend. He said they don't use any backup for the Kempers on their shows.. The thinking is that in the event of a power outage it would take awhile to get the show back up anyway... The keyboards, house and monitor consoles would all have to re-boot anyway... I'v been playing shows with electric keyboards for 30 years, never been a problem for them unless we were all without... I have seen times when low voltage could keep the keys from working. Again, these days the consoles would have a problem also... I always carry and extra volume pedal and power supply for my Hilton.. Maybe a good idea to carry an analog preamp just incase?

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2015 6:53 am    

This is a link someone put up on YouTube of a Lonestar soundcheck last weekend when Jeremy was playing steel with them... Michael and Jeremy are both using a Kemper for all of their instruments.. Looks like just an iPhone video but you can get the idea.

From Jeremy's Facebook post....
Here's a cool video from last week's sound check in Nashville.
This was the first time that I've been able to play steel, lap steel and guitar all down a single line to the PA, and be completely happy with all three tones! The Kempers are amazing and Michael Britt's profiles are the best out there. All four profiles that I used last weekend were his....
Thanks for the killer profiles Britt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFmyPOMsEMI&feature=youtu.be&a

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 2:18 pm    

Thanks for the link Wally. Very interesting. Of course a camera mic isn't going to have the sound quality but you can get an idea. Jeremy's steel is coming through great with a nice ring to it. What steel is he playing? The video says all the guitars & steel are going through Kempers. I'm sold!
Is Jeremy per chance using the NV profile or maybe a twin?
I still think I'd use that cheap power back-up. Anyone I'm playing with in the near future will pretty much be analog & I'd hate to be waiting 5 minutes for a reboot while they keep playing.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 3:00 pm    

Scott,
He uses a Mullen G2.. It now has the stock single coil pickup with Britts NV profile..

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 3:17 pm    

So the Kemper sounds like a pretty amazing piece of gear.

If I understand this right.. I could play a Gibson Super 400 through a Black face deluxe with a slight bit of amp reverb.. and it will replicate the set up.

Then, playing a Tele through a Kemper, I could call up this sound and it would sound nearly identical?

any comments are welcomed

Thx

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Scott Denniston

Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 7:41 pm    

I'm pretty sure the profiling process doesn't involve reverb or time based fx. When you profile an amp the Kemper sends a set of (unmusical) sounds through the amp and back to the Kemper where it analyses and duplicates the circuit. It apparently doesn't do reverb or delays well during the profiling but the box does include excellent verbs and delays to mix into the profiles. Then you can save those settings as one version of the profile and do several if you want. I haven't profiled any amps yet but have been delighted with some of the professionally done profiles. You can alter the profile (drive, eq,comp,etc) from the knobs or create or download different profiles for vastly different settings and purposes.

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2017 1:12 pm    

As I understand it, the Kemper will reproduce the sound of the amp, but not the guitar - so your Tele would still sound like a Tele.