The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to this forum asking for advice
Will Joyce

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 1:21 pm    

Hi everybody ,Im Will , been playing dobro for a few years mainly in my churches praise team . I want to purchase a 6 string lap steel for some song selections we do . Ive noticed a lot are posted on the classifieds on this forum but most are more money than I can spend right now . Is there anything out there that is decent under 500.00 . I have a Marshall 50 watt acoustic amp I play my dobro through so will a steel sound ok through an acoustic amp . Also I see John Morrell lap steels for 250-300 range -- Anyone have any opinion or experience with these. Also the only lap steel I have tried at a music store was a Gretsch --good tone but strings too close together . Have found nothing but Gretsch in music stores in my area. So opinions here would be most appreciated

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 1:34 pm    

I think that Ryan is selling these for right around $500:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XYJIDUpcI0

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 1:36 pm    

I would avoid the Morrell lap steels. Check out Melbert lap steels. Good quality at a reasonable price IMO. I agree with you about the Gretsch lap steels. The string spacing is too tight for comfortable playing and for slants.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 6:20 pm     Good prices, good quality

Yes, a great time to consider a Melbert lap steel. I'm reducing inventory and cutting prices on 6 and 8 string lap steels made from stock woods and parts.
e-mail: melbertguitars@gmail.com
www.melbert.guitars

Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2015 7:30 pm    

Hi Will, welcome to the form. Check the steels for sale section there's a 1954 supro double six string with the string thru pickups (some of the best sounding pickup ever made IMO) and his asking price is $500.. If the condition is good a vintage steel just has a better vibe to me. Sometimes I wonder how many hands have held an played it in it's 50-69 years before it came to me. Good luck. As with potato chips bet you can't buy just one.

Will Joyce

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 3:53 pm     Re: New to this forum asking for advice

Will Joyce wrote:
Hi everybody ,Im Will , been playing dobro for a few years mainly in my churches praise team . I want to purchase a 6 string lap steel for some song selections we do . Ive noticed a lot are posted on the classifieds on this forum but most are more money than I can spend right now . Is there anything out there that is decent under 500.00 . I have a Marshall 50 watt acoustic amp I play my dobro through so will a steel sound ok through an acoustic amp . Also I see John Morrell lap steels for 250-300 range -- Anyone have any opinion or experience with these. Also the only lap steel I have tried at a music store was a Gretsch --good tone but strings too close together . Have found nothing but Gretsch in music stores in my area. So opinions here would be most appreciated

Took the advice of one of the members here of contacting Robert Allen (Melbert Guitars) . He worked with me throughout the whole process of making me what I wanted & the tonal quality I was looking for . Could not be more pleased with the end result with a more than reasonable price. Would highly recommend his work if you just want a good lap steel without all the bells & whistles which just runs the price up .

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2015 4:42 pm    

A good choice, Will!

Steve Branscom

Pacific NW
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2015 1:12 pm    

You can usually find a used Asher Electro Hawaiian Jr for around $500. There's one on Craigslist in Orange Cty, CA for $449. It is a 6 string so if you're looking for an 8, obviously this isn't the one. http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5314745222.html

Don't ask me why I'm not buying it. I really ought to. It's right in my backyard and I do want it but ...