The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to use a condensor mike with a cassette deck?
John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 5:02 pm    

I have seen YouTube demos of the MXL 440 & the MXL 990 and both offer good quality reproduction, and I want to record a band with a couple of condensor mikes + a Yamaha MT3X. Previously I have recorded using dynamic mikes, but condensors seem to have a warmer overall sound.

I have looked around and most have USB plugs, I have seen one or two models with a 3pin (male) outlet, so condensors do vary seemingly, in this regard.

My basic queries are:
1/ Can I attach a standard audio (ie guitar size) cable and run it from a 3 pin plug on the new condensor mike, to one of the mixer inputs? My cables have 3 pin at one end and standard ''guitar'' plug at the other.

2/ If Q1 makes sense, and the answer is NO, is there an adaptor with a USB at one end and a 3 pin male, that I can interface between a mike (with a USB outlet) and my old mike cable?

3/Am I off the planet here I wonder, maybe I'm trying to mix analogue and digital technology?

4/ Will the MT3X deck also act as a pre-amp for either of these MXL mikes?

5/ Is there another option, given I don't want to record to a computer?

So many questions - so little time - it seems

Many thanks in anticipation,

John

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 9:32 pm    

USB will not work. XLR (three pin) will only work if your recorder has an XLR input with phantom power (48 volts) available, as condensor mics need phantom power to operate. You won't be able to use a quarter inch (guitar style) adaptor as they won't pass phantom power to the mic.

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2015 10:17 pm    

Thanks Bryan, I somehow felt this to be the case.

What though, if I were to buy a device (name please?) to plug in to the old deck between the mike and the input? Would that work?

Hang on, I'll also check the user's manual and see if I can garner some information from it.

Ta,

John

Dieter Stoll

Germany
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 1:13 am    

Those condenser mics that have USB output are not just plain microphones, they incorporate an A/D converter (thus outputting a digitized signal), so they are in fact no good for your application.
You would need something like this:
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/120055-Rolls-RPB486
(there are also single- and dual-channel versions available)
plus an XLR-to-1/4inch adapter cable for each channel.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 2:11 am    

I had some of those MXL mic's when I first started my home recording studio. I dumped them as they tend to be too much on the treble side. There are mods that have been posted to "tame" them but I just sold them and moved on to better studio mics.

An old reliable SM47 or SM58 mic is much better and does not require phantom power.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 3:38 am    

I'm with Jack, get a pair of 57's or 58's and be done with it. Condensers are excellent in their suited and respective applications, vocals, overheads, acoustic instruments etc. Also knowing what size diaphragm the "C" mic has for sensitivity and dynamic range.

You can never go wrong with a 57 or 58. They handle sound pressures well and will last 100 years ! Maybe longer ! Smile

I've heard people say they can also double as a hammer when needed !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 5:01 am    

You asked about other options; Assuming you just want to record a stereo mix of the band, some of the handheld recorders with integrated mics work well with a little experimentation on placement. I use this Zoom to record rehearsals, and the results can be surprisingly good once you figure out where to place it for a decent balance. The integrated condensor mics are quite good.

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h4n-handy-recorder

The audio is recorded to an SD card, no tapes. You can playback right from the recorder into your audio system, or should you later decide to put it on your computer it's easy to transfer via USB. It records in multiple MP3 formats or full quality .wav files. I've found this unit very flexible and feature rich, but still pretty easy to use.

No, I don't work for Zoom Smile, but I've had great personal experience with their line of portable recorders. I've also owned the Tascam version, and I didn't think it stacked up sonically to the Zoom.. My 0.02.

EDITED: I was curious so I looked up that Yahama unit. It looks like it has Hi-Z mic inputs, so if you decide to go with an SM-57 or SM-58 which are Lo-Z mics, you'll likely need a transformer (with adapter to 1/4" phone) for each.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 12:49 pm    

I don't work for Zoom either but if I did I would suggest an H2 or an H4 like Bill. A new H2 is just a tad higher in price than ONE new Shure SM 57 and it will serve all your stereo field recording needs for years ! Park the Cassette deck and grab a Zoom... Cool

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2015 12:36 am    

Thanks for all your input folks.

There's quite a lot for me to take in and I'm taking my time doing just this.

Also of interest is the "Recording Programme Question'' posted by Clinton Zimmerman - another 14 posts to absorb.

One thing seems clear though - I should ditch the analogue recorder. I may well do this, but I need value for money, as the recordings I am contemplating won't reap any $$, it's just for posterity.

chrs,

JK

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:13 pm     late to the party!

Hi John,

I looked through the answers penned so far, and thought I might add my 2 cents.

getting from a USB mic to your cassette deck is probably not worth the investment.

If you have a conventional Condenser mic with an XLR (3 pin) connector then you have options. Condenser mics require phantom power to operate, your cassette deck doesn't have it. There are 2 ways to get there from here:

solution 1

purchase an outboard phantom power module IE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/nady-smps-1x-phantom-power-supply?rNtt=phantom%20power&index=1

and then use a transformer to match inupt impedence IE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/audio-technica-cp8201-in-line-transformer?rNtt=transformer&index=5

you'll spend ~30 bucks for this solution not including Mic cables.

solution 2 (the better choice)

purchase an inexpensive mixer that includes phantom power IE http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/harbinger-l502-5-channel-mixer-with-xlr-mic-preamp this will set you back ~45 bucks, but it will work with other recording/live rigs, so you're not going to throw away equipment down the road WHEN the Yamaha recorder breaks.

good luck with your deliberations

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 7:49 pm    

OK thanks Walter.

More grist for the mill. I have been introduced, in the meantime, to a bloke who has his own professional recording studio and will run your option #2 idea past him.

chrs,

JK