The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One More Right Hand Technique Question
Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 12:15 am    

I haven't been playing steel guitar for very long. My history is that have played six-string for very many years... more than I care to remember...

I always played guitar with no picks. I developed a picking technique that used my thumb (some), and three fingers (all minus that really cute little one). So... when I started on steel, I fumbled around with some finger picks, but always had much better feeling for the strings with no picks other than the thumb pick.

My question is... how bad is this? Do I need to stop and re-train myself? I've found that in addition to blocking with the heel of the hand, the "no picks" approach allows for some blocking with the fingertips as well.

I know that one of my favorites, Bobbe Seymour, eschewed picks... but everyone else seems to follow the Jeff Newman Right Hand Alpha advice. I have that course around somewhere, and I've gone through it with picks... but I always end up taking them off and getting back to what's comfortable.

So... what's the advice? Re-train myself or move on?

Thanks!
Jeff

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 1:04 am    

I haven't been playing long either, so feel free to ignore me, but the vast majority of steel players use picks including the great players that inspired us to take it up. This is clearly the only hope of getting a commercial sound. Other players have shared on here that they're more comfortable without, so I would say:- that's fine if you like the sound you get, but if you want other people to like it, use picks...

Just my two English pence

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 3:09 am    

Picks have a crisper attack. If you want to play the standard country stuff, you'll be out of place with bare fingers.

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 3:54 am    

If you want to play pretty much anything you'll be out of place without picks.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 6:52 am    

I, like you, do not use a pick on a six string.. And I like the sound better. I started steel, and I use a thumb pick and no finger picks, and I like the sound. Using the thumb pick lets me use a more natural position with my hand.

Do what you like and what allows you to connect with and express yourself on the instrument and you will be happiest. In the future, if you find it limiting, you will have found your reason to start using finger picks and it will be because you chose to do it rather than because everyone else told you to do it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 8:01 am    

I play six-string without picks of any sort but I string my guitars accordingly with light-gauge. I'd struggle to 'move' the strings with my bare fingers if they were too heavy.

But pedal steel strings have to be reasonably heavy-gauge or we'd have a problem when we we put the bar on the strings - too light, and we'd flex the strings too much and tuning problems would follow.

For me, at least, playing steel without picks is not an option. I can do it but need more volume to compensate for the lack-of-attack I have with bare fingers.

There are certainly no rules, though, and you're free to play any way you want to. You may find a way of working up some real strength in your fingers and we'll be talking about '...the way Jeff Smith does it...'

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 8:34 am     Re: One More Right Hand Technique Question

Jeffrey Smith wrote:
Do I need to stop and re-train myself?
Jeff

Yes,and sooner than you think you'll be glad you did ! Wink

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 1:19 pm    

Yes

Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 8:04 pm     Well Thanks, Everyone...

I don't use the soft part of my fingers, but rather the nails... to me, it sounds plenty bright and has, if anything, at times, too much attack.

BUT...

I asked for advice from people who know and I got it... so I'm not going to ignore the advice, but rather start working out with some picks.

Does anyone use three finger picks? I think to me, the greatest transition of using the standard setup of thumb and two finger picks is that I'm giving up my ring finger, which I use a lot.

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone... I've got a ways to go, for sure.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 11:53 pm    

Jeffrey, I used three finger picks right from the start because someone said you don't have to use the third one but you could get used to wearing it.

After a year I find that it's useful sometimes on the E9 to reach the top string and very useful on the C6 for four-note chords, to avoid the mixture of strumming and picking that would be necessary otherwise. So I would say go for it.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 4:33 am    

My dear departed good friend Boogie Sherrard used the same grips and techniques on the steel as he used on the guitar.
Classic flatpick between thumb and 1st finger while employing bare finger/nail on the other strings. He had a nice tone and could grab big Chalker grips this way too. There are some youtube clips of his playing around.

I believe he was a guitar player first, and just carried over the same technique to the steel.

Maybe just try it for awhile and see how it works for you. Ordinarily, I would suggest new players get used to finger picks, but since you've been using the finger method all your life, I'd at least give it a shot.

Also, lots of people, ala Ian, use 3 finger picks. Not the least of which was the fabulous Reece Anderson. If you're just starting out with finger picks, I would suggest getting used to a 3rd pick right away. I go through phases trying 3, but I've been using two for so long that the ring pick feels awkward and clumsy now.

Best of luck.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 10:55 am    

I was just mentioned in the same paragraph as Reece Anderson. I should quit while I'm ahead.

I came to PSG from playing bass using two fingers and no picks, so wearing three felt no clumsier than wearing two.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 5:29 pm     Re: Well Thanks, Everyone...

Jeffrey Smith wrote:
Does anyone use three finger picks? I think to me, the greatest transition of using the standard setup of thumb and two finger picks is that I'm giving up my ring finger, which I use a lot.

If you want to use three finger picks, as many do, you might want to consider using Joe Wright (pick blocking) as a starting point for your picking/blocking technique rather than Jeff Newman (palm blocking), mainly because a ring finger with a pick on it is a little harder to use or keep out of the way when you're trying to get the edge of the palm down to the strings for blocking. Wright's video lessons on picking & blocking are very useful and downloadable from his web site for a nominal cost.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 8:43 pm    

I tried using a thumb pick and fingers,and it WAS a little easier to play,but it wasn't very bright-sounding,plus I could see fairly quickly my fingers wouldn't last the whole night,so I went back to fingerpicks and practiced harder. Winking