The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Robby Turner tone on Sturgill Simpson?
Kevin Drost

Littleton, CO
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2015 2:43 pm    

I have become obsessed with Robby Turner's playing and tone on the Sturgill Simpson record High Top Mountain.To me, it's like a weird cross between Buddy Cage and James Burton.

I've heard he plays an Webb 614-E, but anyone have any insight on EQ or effects he might be using?

Chris Proposki

Beverly, Massachusetts
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2015 3:50 pm    

(I know none of this answers your question)

I’ve seen Sturgill a few times, and he surprisingly didn’t have a steel player in his band. HOWEVER... He doesn’t need one. The guitar player he has is unreal. Very unique, and can coax some steel-sounding licks out of his tele. He’s from Latvia or Estonia or someplace, to boot.

Side note: All you guys that put down new country (and I’m right there with you) should check out Sturgill. Whitey Morgan, too. The real stuff is coming back

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2015 1:13 am    

on television he was playing a show pro through a peavey, with a george l 10-1 pickup (i assume).

there's a delay on his steel on most of high top mountain, but i don't know if he added it or the engineer did. it definitely helps to thicken up his sound while letting it cut through the mix.

robby is a great example of a player with modern chops and flash who can still pull off the classic styles with some emotional depth.

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2015 2:44 pm    

Kevin, I agree with the Buddy Cage part. Very nice playing!!

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2016 9:37 pm    

my favourite album of 2015 (well, I bought it in 2015!)

I'm hearing two separate steel players on that album, or at least two different steels. I can hear a honky vintagey-sounding shod-bud style mid-monster and another more modern sounding guitar.

I picked up on the Buddy Cage-style chicken-picken thing too, on a few songs - I love that sound
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 3:55 am    

Robbie is constantly on FaceBook. Go there and ask your question. I am sure he will answer.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 11:44 am    

Chris Proposki wrote:
(I know none of this answers your question)

I’ve seen Sturgill a few times, and he surprisingly didn’t have a steel player in his band. HOWEVER... He doesn’t need one. The guitar player he has is unreal. Very unique, and can coax some steel-sounding licks out of his tele. He’s from Latvia or Estonia or someplace, to boot.

Side note: All you guys that put down new country (and I’m right there with you) should check out Sturgill. Whitey Morgan, too. The real stuff is coming back

I agree that Sturgill's guitar player is awesome, but it's disappointing he's not touring with a steel player. Whitey does keep a steel player thank goodness. I don't know if Chris Stapleton will tour with a steel guitar player, but there's always hope. At least we will always have our saviour Cowboy Eddie Long with Jamey Johnson!!

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2016 2:34 pm    

Caught Sturgill's show last September with Merle & Kris Kristofferson and really loved Sturgill, becoming a fan quite some time before his live show!! Would be a great act to be on the road with Cool

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2016 7:12 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8XsgJyC7Q

Robby is playing a Show Pro for Chris Stapleton in this clip. Not sure what he used on Sturgill's album. I've seen both artists in the past year and neither was touring with a steel player, which was a major disappointment. Both put on great shows, but I can't help but feel a little short changed!

-Chris

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2016 9:59 am    

Robby plays great and Letterman loves steel guitar too.

Tony