The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to me Fender S8 came today and Deluxe 34 stand pics
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 8:46 pm    

I just got this today and I really like it. It is a 50s something I believe with 8 strings, the trapezoid pickup and what appears to be the ohsc...all in very fine condition. The tuners and pickups and controls work great. What is the proper name to call it ? A pro, deluxe ??? I dunno. It is so convenient and handy to have...I am expecting my Deluxe 34 Lariat stand tomorrow and if it comes in time, I will take it to a jam tomorrow afternoon and give it a try. I think it sounds great...different than the my stringmaster, and I like each of them very much. Here is a picture of it:

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 1 Oct 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 9:49 pm    

Great score Larry Smile

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2015 10:49 pm    

Congrats, Larry. It's in beautiful condition. As far as the model, I believe it's a Deluxe 8 lap steel. Same model name as the later Deluxe 8 with Stringmaster features and legs. Fender had a habit of keeping the same model names throughout the years, even though the features and cosmetics changed over the years. That's especially true with Fender amps.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2015 1:28 pm     Nice one !

You Lucky Dog! That's a nice one. What tuning are you going to use? Thanks, Tommy......

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2015 5:19 pm    

Tommy, thanks for the support. It came with E7 and I retuned it to A6th with the strings that were on it. I am probably the most comfy with C6th, so for now I will leave it with the A6th, E-C#-A-F#-E-C#-A-F# top to bottom, since thats the same intervals as C6th that I use. I like the sound of the deeper tuning and fatter strings, so I if I stick with A6th I will probably restring it with the appropriate gauge strings.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2015 8:41 pm    

I noticed that the tuners on this steel doesnt say Fender anywhere on the casings or whatever you call it? Does this mean that this is NOT original ? Perhaps I should post a picture to clarify what I am saying. Thanks for any information.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2015 12:06 am    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
I noticed that the tuners on this steel doesnt say Fender anywhere on the casings or whatever you call it? Does this mean that this is NOT original ? Perhaps I should post a picture to clarify what I am saying. Thanks for any information.

Don't worry, Larry - those tuners and the pan are absolutely correct for that guitar. They didn't start stamping Fender on them until the Stringmaster style guitars with the oval tuners.

They called it the Deluxe and was available in 6 and 8 string versions.

I love the sound of those trapezoid pickups - as you say, very different from a Stringmaster.

From the pictures it looks to be in amazing condition and 100% original. That's a lovely stand too. I'm jealous!

BTW - just read your signature, those 3 string Stringmasters are pretty rare, I bet Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2015 7:37 am    

A6th is a good tuning, especially on an 8 string guitar! Very Happy

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2015 7:46 am    

Thanks Jeff...I feel much better now Smile Haha,,,,yes I will fix my profile, hadnt noticed that !

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2015 8:15 am    

Larry, ain't it kinda hard to play with them straps on it? Laughing

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 7:17 am    

Yes Fred it is, but it keeps the Arizona dust off of those frets ! I always say Az is the litter box of the US ! Smile

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 5:06 pm    

Are there no leg sockets? Just curious.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2015 5:23 pm    

Nope, no leg sockets. I got the deluxe 34 stand, and of course it came with the legs and frame with leg sockets.
I hope that answers your question