The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  source/machinist for ball bearing nut rollers
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 11:39 am    

John Goux wrote:
Strings returning sharp after a lower, is because of friction, not because of the physical properties of guitar strings. When you lower the tension of the string (pitch), more string will gather in the area between the nut and the tuners. If you have friction, the string will return with more tension between the nut and bridge. That raises the pitch.
This is a well known issue in the 6 string guitar world. Anyone with a stock Stratocaster and a tremelo bar knows the G string will return sharp after a dive bomb. There are easy fixes:
1. Yank the returned-sharp string with your right hand and it returns to 440.
2. Lubricate the nut and bridge to stop the friction.
3. Use a Floyd Rose system with a locking bridge and tuners.
The FR system is full proof with tuning. You can dive bomb all day without ever going sharp. Same string brand and type.
The discussion of "hysteresis" in the steel guitar community as an incurable property of ferrous strings, is missing the point. Yes my E migrates sharp after lowers, and I don't like that. In the short term I can adjust it by hitting my E raise lever or re tuning that string.
But I know this is a fixable mechanical issue. I was sorry to read Lloyd Green aschewed the E lower because of a fixable problem. Maybe not back in the 60's, but certainly nowadays there should be an understanding, that the sharp return of strings is a fixable friction issue, and not some incurable property of guitar strings.
I see some of you have found solutions. Nice work.
John

John, I took a glance at the Floyd Rose bridge system. It doesn't look like something that could be adapted or added to a steel guitar key head right?

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 11:44 am    

chas smith wrote:
On my Sho-Bud Super Pro, besides the Kline tuners,I made the rollers and the fingers, on the E9, neck out of bronze.

On my Professional, I added a string lock for strings 5 and 6, which were the "problem" strings.

Chas, that string lock gizmo on strings 5+6 looks like something I could use. Are those things available from anyone or was that some kind of custom jobby?

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 12:32 pm    

"and the degree of rotation for the nut-rollers is too small to redistribute the oil back to the part of the axle where it is needed,"

How about using Oilite for the axle? My Grandfather made the rear axle bushing for my gokart from Oilite. They worked great. No lubrication required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilite
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 1:59 pm    

Would oilite be hard enough for the rollers themselves, on a steel axle?

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 2:10 pm    

Well, the info on wiki is pretty good. I was thinking of using it for the roller axle, not for the rollers. There's also Super Oilite that is made from steel.
They are products made from powdered metal, so that voids are left for the oil, about 20% SAE 30 by volume. I would think that a solid material would be better for the rollers, and probably better for sustain when played open, and maybe not important once the tone bar is on the strings?
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2015 9:25 pm    

I think Oilite was a proprietary name, but it just sintered bronze, very common stuff and excellent material for bearings. Places like McMaster-Carr, Speedy Metals, etc. sell oil impregnated sintered bronze rod, very hard but machinable, very good for this application - use for the rollers with a hardened steel axle