The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transport a pedal steel without tearing down?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 3:37 am    

Always a case for me because most of my helpful friends are idiots!!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 12:01 pm    

I've experienced loose screws even after transporting my psg in a case. Thinking about using some loctite.
Any opinions on that?

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 1:03 pm    

I used to have an 1974 Olds 98 Holiday. Took the back legs off the guitar, and strapped it into the back seat. Never any problems with things loosening up. But of course driving in that car was like taking a ride in your living room!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Last edited by John Billings on 13 Sep 2015 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2015 1:22 pm    

as often as possible on a local gig like last night i lay it face down on a perfect sized pad/cushion in the back of my old piece of shit toyota wagon. way faster and easier and as henry says, it wears it out just as much or more taking it apart and putting it together everywhere.

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 3:50 am    

Flautist apprehended over violin.

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/latest-news/jessica-schmitz-flautist-airport/#8q7usfFyySmZ2I4W.97

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 9:38 am    

John Billings wrote:
I used to have an 1974 Olds 98 Holiday. Took the back legs off the guitar, and strapped it into the back seat. Never any problems with things loosening up. But of course driving in that car was like taking a ride in your living room!

possibly similar to what I do. ..

I carry my steel fully assembled to the storage area in back of our SUV lay it down with the pedal rods and legs laying horizontal on the floor and the guitar apron propped on a coat. ...i then unscrew the back legs to get rid of that vibrational force.... when I get to the destination. ..I insert the legs and carry the steel guitar set up into the venue.

I believe this is a better approach than carrying in the case or leaving the steel upright etc.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 9:54 am     Re: Transporting set up

Steve Spitz wrote:
One thing that would concern me is walking from the car to the stage carrying a set up steel. Drunken foot traffic, cars , and getting through the door while both hands are carrying my axe. Once inside, making my way through dancers, more people, tables and chairs, maybe the previous act is exiting etc....all while I'm carrying my set up steel?

Exactly. Most of the places I play have 2 sets of entrance doors to negotiate and the bandstand is always in the back of the place so you have to navigate through a maze of furniture.

Once in my van during a panic stop, I had one do a summie and smack the back of the drivers seat even though it was tied down. If you transport it set up inside a vehicle, just make sure it's secured so that it doesn't come loose and run over you if in a crash.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 10:26 am    

I always transport my steel in the case.Never occurred to me before that the hassle involved in setup and takedown is an excellent rationalization for staying away from pay-to-play venues! Winking

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 10:40 am    

Dave Hopping wrote:
I always transport my steel in the case.Never occurred to me before that the hassle involved in setup and takedown is an excellent rationalization for staying away from pay-to-play venues! Winking

Confused Confused

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 6:08 am    

How do the professional touring bands/players do it?

Do they tear the steel down every night, or do they have full size road cases that allow the steel to remain set up?

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 7:06 am    

I know Norm Hamlet has a road case that fits his steel with it set up so they just open and set on stage. Don't know about anyone else but most have roadies that set their equip up.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 1:26 pm    

There was a steel player, just this summer who, was playing a nice sounding ShoBud Proffessional at a gig. I noticed, that, when he used his knee levers, the steel swayed back and forth and looked very unstable. I was talking to him afterward about his steel and he said, that, he owned it for several years and didn't have a case for it. He just roped it down in his van when he transported it. I didn't make any negative comments about it. After all, it was his steel, not mine. But, you could definitely see the damage done to it. I never travel with my steels like that. They always go back in their cases.
I knew another fellow, years ago, who had his MSA fall out onto the ground when he opened the side door to his van. It did a hell of a lot of damage to it.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 2:21 pm    

I see there are a lot of pros and cons but I for one don't care, I'm not taking that thing apart and putting back together every time I play out. I can tighten screws a lot easier, if it needs it.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2015 6:33 pm    

It takes less than five minutes to take a steel out of the case and set it up . I'm not taking any chances.