The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transport a pedal steel without tearing down?
James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 8:02 pm    

This came up on the thread about how to justify the time to setup and tear down for an open-mic. How many of you just tote your guitar fully assembled? Any issues or risks?

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 8:43 pm    

I usually pull it apart (S10) and set it up every time but I have carried my D10 ZB upside down and assembled in its case in the back of my car . I find a case adds so much weight to an already heavy guitar .

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 9:01 pm    

After time of not tearing down your steel and transporting in a proper case the screws and brackets will loosen and after so many times of tightening the screws the hole will strip out.. There is a reason the steel has a case as said for any instrument. I cant justify nor understand why a lot of players don't use the case as it is intended for. not only that not casing the instrument mars the finish. If a person has or will spend X amount of hard earned money on there dream steel common sense tells me to use the case.Just my 2 cents. Slim

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 9:57 pm    

This topic has been discussed many times here on the Forum.

Have you ever sat down behind a steel and everything was wobbly? The legs were loose in the endplates and the cabinet moved within the endplates? This is a result of holes and threads being wallowed out by constant movement and friction, like what occurs when an assembled guitar is carried in a vehicle for a period of time.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 10:08 pm    

I always put mine in the case before going to play at church or steel guitar shows. Since my Jackson Blackjack Custom is my best and favorite steel, I can't let it be set up on the way to play at church or a steel guitar show
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 10:12 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
This topic has been discussed many times here on the Forum.

Have you ever sat down behind a steel and everything was wobbly? The legs were loose in the endplates and the cabinet moved within the endplates? This is a result of holes and threads being wallowed out by constant movement and friction, like what occurs when an assembled guitar is carried in a vehicle for a period of time.
As always Herb you are on point. Slim

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2015 10:21 pm    

I know most frown on transporting set up but that's the only way I every carry my steel unless I'm on a long trip. I've got a Jeep Wrangler now and my steel, amp and seat wil fit in with not problem.. I bungee my steel against the cloth part of back seat folded up and it doesn't move.amp and seat sit on floor wth room to spare. I wouldn't disassemble and reassemble one for nothing on short runs I make. I can be in and set up in five minutes ready to go and beached and out in five minutes. I think ther is less wear and tear this way also. I don't evne have to tune. Just set up and play. yMMV. I realize that in an accident that it would probably sustain damage but worth thr risk for me.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 12:08 am    

Buddy drove into Nashville Now one night in the little Benz. Popped the trunk and took the steel guitar out of the trunk. The rear legs were off and he leaned the guitar against his legs and screwed in the back legs and carried it into the studio.

To do some sessions in Nashville he had a Suburban type truck that had velcro strips attached to the wall so he could sit the guitar up next to the it and wrap the velcro around the legs to hold it in place.

I'm not sure how long he did these things...

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 1:18 am    

This is not a commentary, just a photo.

Picture is dated by the Dodge in the background.
Maybe the lesson is: just carry it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 2:11 am    

I did this for years, , well over a decade...Behind the driver seat in my van, the Steel was strapped down. Carter D10, 3 of them and Sho Bud S10, never had any issues. As long as you don't have a wreck things should be ok ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 5:50 am    

I put my steel behind the back seats in my Honda Element with a mover's quilt over it. It stays put with no risk. I also use a one plug for everything Telonics combo with rack mounted effects and power source for the Telonics volume pedal. Combination makes lugging steel guitar rigs almost palatable! Cant imagine taking my 9/6 MSA U12 apart for every 15 minute trip!

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 5:58 am    

although there are plenty of stories of those who do, i'm not one of them ..
I keep a steel set up at home and one in the case to travel.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 6:55 am    

I usually just play local gigs and I just put the guitar on its side on a blanket(so it has nowhere to fall) and have not noticed anything loosening up ever.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 6:56 am     tearing it down or NOT

I used to own a nice van. I had a nice cushy rug in the back, so I would swing open the back door & lay my steel face down, lay a gear bag over the pedal bar & away we would go.

I never had any trouble, but then again, I'm a good driver.

This was in the Seattle area.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 8:59 am    

If your vehicle has a cushy ride you might be OK.
I had a ¾Ton van that I did that to my Zum. Within six months, every important screw was loose.
Herb is right.
Henry, by binding it top and bottom, might have an effective answer. Not sure it saves time and effort.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 9:13 am    

It's really not the right way to carry a steel but as I said above, I just absolutely hate putting one together and tearing it down. I still think they get just as much or more wear by repetitively taking apart and putting back together. When I put in vehicle, I just make sure my legs are tight and bungi it so it wont move and I'm off. I use two little plastic coaster and when I load, I just set back legs in coasters and slide right to back of seat and taking out same way, no trouble at all. Also, I rarely have to tune, just a touch up.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 9:30 am     Yes, I have!!

I have been carrying my old S-10 MSA set up for at least 10 years, my van has a nice rug & I made a nice cover that is also padded in the front, so when I lay it down. I have never had a problem, but who knows right. Hell I'm in my 70's & it makes it a lot a lot better for me to do it that way, it weighs a ton in the case! God forbid something would happen, if it did, I would retire from playing.

Ernie Pollock Rolling Eyes

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 9:35 am    

I have enough time in my life that I can tear down and set up my guitar. I do it out of respect for the instrument and the folks who built it.

You ride around with a guitar set up in the pickup truck sooner or later you will ruin the sockets as mentioned above plus all of the screws holding the guitar together...

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 9:54 am     differences

Differences, differences, differences...

Aren't you folks glad they make Chocolate & Vanilla

We all appreciate our fellow Steelers giving us an insight into what they do & why.

Good Luck to all

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 10:05 am    

Not really an option for me, most of my gigs the guitar rides with a bunch of other band gear in a trailer.

However, when I do carry it in my vehicle, I always put it in a case. Just seems like the right thing to do to me and I use setup time to look things over. Pilots would call it a pre-flight walkaround I guess.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 10:05 am    

I tear down and set up at every gig. The being in tune thing is not really a deal breaker in my book. My Carter, I can take it out of the case after and hour drive, and it will pretty much be in tune. In fact, I have played gigs where I didn't have time to tune, and nobody knew the difference, even me. Sometimes the very minute touch-ups we do, are maybe sometimes not really necessary. Stuff shows up on a tuner that you can't hear.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 10:20 am    

I have no problem transporting my Sierra in my van, fully set up, for local gigging (usually within 10-20min from home).
I prop it behind the passenger seat, with a thick horse-blanket over the steel.
I have the back-seat directly behind the passenger seat removed most of the time, for easy side door loading.
fwiw, the Sierra brand does not use threads to secure the legs to the body (they clamp), and the body is aluminum, covered with mica, so there is little risk to damage like with a wood/lacquer body.
I break it down for longer trips where I need more space for other members and their stuff.

Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 1:34 pm    

It's not good for the guitar, but I do it all the time. I've also put it in the case (upside down) with the legs/pedalboard still attached and put it in the back of the truck for short trips.
I too have seen Buddy do the same thing in his Tahoe/Suburban. he just opened the door and grabbed it.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 3:59 pm     Transporting set up

I prefer to keep it in the case. One thing that would concern me is walking from the car to the stage carrying a set up steel. Drunken foot traffic, cars , and getting through the door while both hands are carrying my axe. Once inside, making my way through dancers, more people, tables and chairs, maybe the previous act is exiting etc....all while I'm carrying my set up steel?

I'd rather not expose my steel to all that potential hassle. Maybe the joints I play are more hazardous than most in that regard. It's New Orleans. People are drinking . A lot.

Over time, My steel has never been damaged while in the case , or in the car. It has been damaged while set up in the club, on and off the band stand.

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2015 6:07 pm    

I did go to a party on the bus with the steel assembled. The bus driver closed the door and sheared the legs off. True.