The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The US Navy's Country Current Band....
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:52 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I almost wish I hadn't started this thread - lots of conflicting contributions. I was merely expressing how pleasantly surprised I was to hear such professionalism combined with good, solid musicianship.

Roger, it was a great thread my friend, until it got butchered and destroyed by unnecessary arguments ...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:31 am    

I didn't read any arguments, just some incidental disagreements over a few facts among guys who've known each other for years and are obviously on good terms.

I remember the thread and found it very informational. When I was a bluegrasser way back in the early to mid 60's, the Gents were one of my fave bands. I remember when Emerson replaced Eddie Adcock and subsequently joined the navy. Always wondered about that. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:53 pm    

Likewise, I enjoyed the thread. The timeline was interesting. Incidentally, I played the North Carolina State Bluegrass Festival in Marion, N. C. this past Saturday with the Malpass Brothers and the Navy bluegrass band was on the show. They were really tight, great picking and vocals.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 11:44 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
I I remember when Emerson replaced Eddie Adcock and subsequently joined the navy. Always wondered about that. Wink

Emerson & Adcock, innovators to say the least. ..I was front and center during Bill's enlistment, front row of the scuttlebutt. Smile I believe R Skaggs & Dole Lawson were also offered the same opportunity as Bill, but declined the invitation. Later on, Bruce Bouton had also considered a change in careers to join with Bill. Bruce called me while I was assigned to the Navy Band Sandpoint Station, he was curious... When it was all said and done, Bill was the only one who joined and I suspect his enlistment didn't set well with Charlie Waller. Charlie had referred to Bill on stage as Chief Potty Officer. Bill's boot camp and music school was wavered and replaced with I think a two week indoctrination class. I'm fairly certain Bill retired as a Master Chief....

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:04 am    

[quote="Danny Spinks"]The Third Army had a country group called the "Circle A Wranglers". The band was formed when Faron Young was in the army.

I got to spend 13 months with the group from Jan-60 to Feb-61.

Some of the members during my time were Jerry Reed, Earl White, who for many years was the Grand Ole Opry fiddler for the square dancers until his death last year. Woody Woodham who played bass with Wilma Lee and Stoney during the Jimmy Crawford time with them. And "Pappy" Burns, brother of Jethro, was the NCOIC of the group. He also played the bass intro on Jerry Byrd's Steel Guitar Rag.

My friend and a singer/entertainer I played steel for on WVOK in Birmingham, Ala. replaced Faron Young in the 50s with the "Circle A Wranglers". Their steel player was Alan Maury and he is a member of this forum. Roger Miller played fiddle with them.
Floyd

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 6:11 pm    

Herb - That was me. I played guitar, pedal steel, and dobro in the Army. I retired in 2008 after 22 yrs of active federal service.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 7:51 am    

A couple of years ago, I played a benefit for veterans. An Air Force band (pop rock and some country) also played. No steel. I got to talk with a few of the members. I ended up talking to the guitar player, who was interested in the PSG. He told me of the extensive audition process. Blew my mind. One of them told me of a website they had. I looked it up and read their bios?. Every one of them had at least one BS degree in some sort of music, several with 2 or more, and some with Masters degrees. Is this a requirement, or just icing on the cake?

This band was incredible. I don't know that I have heard any band, ever, that was any better than these musicians.

By the way Tim, I remembered your name and was going to post it, but saw your post. It's great to see you post again.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 12:00 pm    

College is not a requirement for an enlisted job, but the way the band works it almost seems that way at times. When they hold an audition, they are usually looking to fill one particular position (at one particular base). Whoever they select is basically expected to hit the ground running in a variety of musical settings. Because of this system, college-trained musicians are typically more capable of the expected on-the-spot versatility and will likely 'beat out' a self-trained musician. That's at least the way it worked in the mid nineties when I attempted to audition on guitar.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 1:34 pm    

A gig with a Military Band of any kind is a good time and a great way to serve. I had top notch equipment, health insurance, a regular paycheck, housing allowance, world wide travel and my only job was to play music.

Many of the players I served with are now moved on to the civilian world and working as musicians. One of note is a piano player named, Tim McDonald. Nashville guys may know of him. Sometimes, you can catch him on Broadway. He has played on the road..all over and with everyone - Blake Shelton, Hank Jr, Mark Chesnutt, Josh Gracin, Steve Holy Vince Gill, Olivia Newton-John (bandleader), Johnny Hiland, and even Larry Carlton. Tim is also featured on the ABC series "Nashville" as keyboardist for "Luke Wheeler".

He was a Piano player in the Army Band and later was a Keyboard/MIDI Instructor at the Armed Forces School of Music in Virginia Beach, VA.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 8:00 am    

In light of the recent posting about the forthcoming audition for a steel play (this May), I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

By the way, I was far from offended at the diversions that took place; it was all relevant info. I did feel that my original point - the sheer quality of the ensemble - got overlooked.

Pat Gulley told me he was from Nashville but, of course, had been required to relocate to DC.

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 4:15 pm    

Jeff I knew your dad when he was stationed here in Colorado Springs. I think we may have played together a time or two.
I also knew Steve, in fact I own an Emmons PP that he traded or sold to Mac McConnell steel guitar shop. I wound up with that steel a few years later from Mac who had sold it but it came back. One of the better sounding PP's I have ever heard. At the time Steve owned it there were no knee levers on it at all. A owner after steve sent it to Emmons and had 4 knee levers installed and then I got my hands on it.

George Duncan Sypert

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2023 9:12 pm    

Many of us saw this fine group playing at the 2019 TSGA Jamboree. Here are a few of my photos of the group, Henry Johns was their steel player then.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 7:29 am    

Thanks so much Jim Harrison for the great pictures of the Current Country Band in 2019 at the Dallas Show. And I stand corrected by my comment in another post that Henry Johns was playing and old Emmons, my Bad. Thanks, J.R. Rose