The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stage One - who's playing one?
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 4:15 pm    

I recently acquired one and am impressed.Is anyone gigging/ touring with one? What is your opinion? Have you compared it to the ENCORE?

Last edited by Dave O'Brien on 26 Aug 2015 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:04 pm    

Dave, if you are impressed with the Zum Stage 1 guitar, the newer ZUM ENCORE all pull guitar will be even more impressive. Smile

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2015 3:31 am    

I'm not gigging it, but I remain really impressed with how stable tuning remains and how robust the mechanics of the changer and system are after three years of daily play. A beginner can be a little rough on a pedal steel, and I stomped it, boy!

Personally, I like the feel of the lowly 3 x 4 pull-release system quite a bit. And the sound, especially after developing some technique and putting a Lil' Izzy on there, the only thing keeping me from sounding as good as anything I hear on my favorite records is me.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2015 9:07 am    

My Stage One has more capability than I will ever have the experience and talent to fully use.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 5:32 pm    

i have an Encore.
it's my only steel, so yes, i am gigging/touring with it.

for what it is, i love it. i'll be wanting to get a double-neck at some point, but i started on a D10 ShoBud Pro III, and i'm super happy to not have to be dragging that thing around to gigs!

j

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 1:44 am    

one of the best steels on the market, never had any problems, stay in tune and very robust guitar.

Tom Watterson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 9:22 am    

Bought mine used last year, and have found it to be all I'll probably ever need. Stays in tune forever, and sounds better than I can play it. Very pleased.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 10:22 am    

Did they change the changer design at some point?

I read some posts on the 'net (other forums, etc.) that they now use an all pull changer? Yes? No?

How many changes are possible per string, raise/lower? I've been eying these for awhile, but I would really like to have at least six knees.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 11:40 am    

triple raise/lower.
i'll probably be looking at adding a 6th knee lever, if possible, at some point, to desperate the 6th string lower from the 1/2nd string raises...

j

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 3:16 pm    

The Stage One is pull-release.
The Encore is all-pull.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2015 3:58 pm    

I have one and really like it. No problems. It was an upgrade from the Carter Starter. I highly recommend it.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2015 4:54 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
The Stage One is pull-release.
The Encore is all-pull.

Yeah, the Stage One is pull-release. I don't have another steel to compare it to and have not played other steel guitars enough to discern different qualities of hybrids, Push pull-all pull etc.., but even with the limitations of not being able to change away from the basic 3-pedal /4-lever copedant, I feel this steel is about as easy as it gets in terms of operational efficiency and ability to stay in tune.

The humbucker on there is great. Just a nice sound, whether you like the sound a little dark or bright. I tend to like more of the single-coil sounds, but have to say that I don't even think about it with the Stage One. It seems to like a little more gain in the signal, a little more gas on the pedal. I go for and get a great vintage-style sound out of it, a little edgier like a Charleton or Stu Basore in the mid-sixties used to get (not comparing my level of play! That is for sure!) even though the pickups are pretty hot. A Li'l Izzy or some other buffer at the pickup really supports that goal.

I use both tube amps (Fender) and solid state (Laney and Fender) amp with it and the sound is totally different through any amp I use it with. I like that! Now I want to get a Peavey Nashville 112 or LTD, see how that goes. I guess I am more of an amp stable kind of player, than a guitar hoarder.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2015 9:47 am     Stage One in Beijing

I am… I agree with what Daniel said about this steel. It is so light but stays put when one engages the knee levers. 42 lbs in its sturdy case and probably 33lbs in a padded bag.
Tim, Doug Earnest also makes a fine all-pull, The Encore. I don't think any other builder can beat the quality for the price for that steel. Here is Doug's site:

http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/zumsteel_encore

And here is what Doug says about it:
"ZumSteel Encore - for even more professional features starting at $1499
for three pedals and five knee levers. Fourth pedal is $80, detachable pad is $50. The case is included in the pricing. Weight in the case is about 41 pounds. It's a perfect choice for the professional who uses the airlines.
The Encore has an all pull changer system with triple raise and triple lower capability. Split tuning on strings 5, 6, & 10 is included on our standard Emmons setup. The setup of the guitar can be customized to your specifications, in most instances. The knee levers feature tilt adjustment for a good fit. Most popular pickups can be used, some at extra cost. Our standard pickup is your choice of a TrueTone single coil pickup or our custom made dual coil humbucking pickup. Either one of these is a very good choice for powerful clear sound. The Encore was designed by Bruce Zumsteg, with the goal of making it play and sound much like the famous ZumSteel professional guitars. He succeeded very well, as usual."

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2015 7:27 am    

Personally I don't have the experience to evaluate my Stage One compared to other steels. But I have had several 35+ year players try mine and with only one exception, they all thought it was great. They said it played well, sounded good, and seemed quite sturdy.

The one exception by the way had nothing bad to say about the Stage One itself, but the guy had played nothing but his D-10 Emmons for so many years he just could not get comfortable on the single neck. And you can't hold that against the instrument itself.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2015 3:24 pm     Stage One - who's playing one?

I did a recording session today with mine, I am amazed at how stable it is, stays in tune and sounds great. the pedal action and knee lever pressure is excellent. Now am I brave enuf to do a gig with it?