The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fun!
Barry Hyman

upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 4:04 pm    

This is what having fun looks like! I was asked to sit in yesterday with The Brewsters at a private party. They are a family band consisting of the parents and their three sons, and yes, that means that that their harmonies are exquisite and the vocal blend is flawless! The three boys and their mother all took a few lessons from me years ago; what they learned is that MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! Don't believe me? Look closely at the steel player...

I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 5:07 pm    

A steeler smiles! A rarity for any occasion.
That does look like fun, and I hear you, family harmonies are about the hardest thing to beat for sheer knock-you-out capability.

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 5:38 pm     Fun ?

This was a really fun gig....I promise! Though I don't appear to be enjoying myself as much as the rest of the band... Definitely a "sideman", over there all by myself. This was a CD release show with 10 original, varied, and very good songs.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 8:35 am    

Barry and John, I see you have both been influenced by the media as to where to position the steel guitarist on stage, (aka on the back row and farthest to one side.) Winking

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 1:21 pm     Pedal Steel Guitar Player is so lonely!!

John they could have at least turned the light on for you...LOL In the dark, in a corner or over on the side it doesn't matter. We "steel" have fun and play the best instrument ever...HA!!!

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 4:25 pm     Re: Pedal Steel Guitar Player is so lonely!!

Todd Goad wrote:
John they could have at least turned the light on for you...LOL In the dark, in a corner or over on the side it doesn't matter. We "steel" have fun and play the best instrument ever...HA!!!

It was a bit dark over there, now that I think about it! On the plus side, I was as far away from the drummer as I could get (and still had to stuff some tissue in my right ear)!