The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A good habit to learn
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 7:48 am    

This comes under the "Duh, everybody knows that" heading but I'll post it here anyway. If it saves ONE person a problem, it will be worth it.

I'm headed out to our other place for a couple days and I'm taking the PSG with me to practice. So here at home I pulled cords, disconnected stuff, put the steel in the case, and puttered around.

I happened to look at the case, and while I had lowered the lid I had not LATCHED the lid! Whoa! If I had happened to miss that and had grabbed the handle and started walking, I would have deposited the steel on the floor for sure.

I would have told you I "always" latch it right away but this time I got distracted. I will try to make it a habit to immediately secure it, and to double check before picking it up. Hopefully I've learned my lesson the easy way.

I suppose someone out there has already learned it the hard way!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:05 am    

I've done it with a clarinet - that's four parts to pick up all of which are fragile. Oh, and with a socket set - not fragile, but some of them rolled a long long way....

For variety, leave your instrument at the rear of your vehicle, forget to actually load it then reverse over it. My mate did that with a trumpet. Looked good on the wall, kinda surreal.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:18 am    

I've done it with my pack-a-seat. Contents spilled all over the stage. Embarassed

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:18 am    

...always carry a case where the lid is between case handle-your leg. That way, if the latches come unfastened you've about a 30% chance to catch/cushion the instrument(not that it'll stop a 40+#steel). Saved my sax though, many a time.

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 8:49 am    

I did that with a pristine 1940s Gibson lap steel. It fell out of the case onto the floor and one of the knobs broke. This happened around 35 years ago at the Electro Harmonix factory in NYC, where I had gone to buy an echo unit. (A friend who worked there had told me about some demo units that were available.) Ironic that after trying and buying a Deluxe Memory Man, my own memory failed - I forgot I hadn't latched the case. I still have the steel and the pieces of the knob. I've kept an eye out for a replacement knob but they are somewhat unusual and apparently unavailable. One of these days I'll try to glue it.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 10:44 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
...always carry a case where the lid is between case handle-your leg. That way, if the latches come unfastened you've about a 30% chance to catch/cushion the instrument(not that it'll stop a 40+#steel).

Safety tip 3: Always wear steel types boots while moving gear.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 1:31 pm     It's a dangerous thing to consider.................

My first guitar teacher back in the early 1940's made that point quite clear.

He always said to NOT remove's one's hands from the case lid UNTIL the snaps were all secure. Also, ALWAYS have the lid nearest to your body so your leg might prevent a serious 'crash'. Also, always place your index finger on the lid when carrying it.

Make sense?

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 6:21 pm    

b0b wrote:
I've done it with my pack-a-seat. Contents spilled all over the stage. Embarassed

b0b I've done that at least a half dozen times. always embarrassing to say the least.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 5:05 am    

Me too on the pack seat disaster....😂😂😂

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 3:08 pm     Re: It's a dangerous thing to consider.................

Ray Montee wrote:
.... Also, always place your index finger on the lid when carrying it.

Mine is "only" an S-10, but my entire hand is wrapped around that handle helping to carry the thing. Maybe a 25 year old bodybuilder can spare an extra finger but this old guy sure can't! And I can't imagine wrestling with a D-10 and having spare digits to rest against the lid.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 10:13 pm    

I carry every steel i own with two hands. One on the handle, the other on the bottom of my case. If i come to a closed door, i open the door, prop it with my foot and keep the case close to the ground. I don't trust any guitar case. Nope, not even road type cases.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2015 5:51 am    

I flopped a brand new Telecaster by not latching the case proper. My first brand new Tele. I tried to catch it with my foot, but in my other hand was a '73 Twin Reverb. All I could do was watch it bounce on its butt down a couple cement stairs. That'll learn ya!