The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jack "Curly" Evins
Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 1:30 am    

Man this guy is smooth. The production of the sound is really good for the day and budget, giving present YouTube listener opportunity to hear Evins' flow and subtlety.Listen how he moves the intro into harmonics behind Price's vocal coming into the first verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jP5G5PaMrc

I wanted to say his sound at times reminds me of air whistling. Like a couple wind instruments bound together. Some of the most inventive stuff Evins is doing on this track are the things he's playing behind the other instruments and Mr. Price. I know most of you have heard "Crazy Arms" a thousand times, but maybe take a fresh listen at it, and there may be some younger pickers out there just getting into this deal.

Doing a little research, someone noted he went into law enforcement not too long after his stint as a Cherokee Cowboy. Just wanted to highlight this fantastic picker.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 9:59 am    

Sounds like he's got pedals on that Stringmaster. I've heard about guys modding them back in the '50s to pull down through a hole in the keyhead, the good old days before there were a lot pedal steel manufacturers. Anybody know about this one?

Ralph Mooney supposedly had an old Rickenbacker console set up like that in his early days, with single string pulls only, lost it in a fire as the story goes.

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 12:46 pm    

Good find Daniel,

Here's another tune featuring Jack with two slants in the turn-around. The first, same as Emmons' intro forward slant in Half A Mind. The second slant is a reverse slant at 1:25 I don't understand why he needs it to get a major chord.
Anybody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36h-ROhzfWM

I would guess the tuning to be E7th in those days.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Baker on 25 Aug 2015 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 3:18 pm    

In the first video at 1:52 or so looks like a young Buddy Emmons sitting behind a Bigsby.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 4:54 pm    

Norman Evans wrote:
In the first video at 1:52 or so looks like a young Buddy Emmons sitting behind a Bigsby.

It sure is. How' anybody like to play 15ft away from Buddy Emmons? Although, Evins does a great job there, and on Invitation to the Blues which Craig so kindly posted.

Getting back to Craig, Craig you're mention of the second slant in the turnaround- to me it sounds like he's getting that chord off using the 6th and second string, or maybe the 5th and 2nd ? It sounds like he's using nonadjacent strings to my ears. Be interesting to know what copedant he was using there, but it sounds like E9, or maybe even D9. I'm not at my steel right now. I'm going to have to check that in a bit!

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2015 5:42 pm    

Jack Evins is the brother of Danny Evins, founder of Cracker Barrel. Just a little trivia.

Diane Diekman

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 4:17 am    

I interviewed Jack in 2007 for my Marty Robbins biography, and he told me:

I was a United States marshal for 22 years. I was in law enforcement a little over 30 years. I missed the business. I stayed with Ray Price until the latter part of '58, '59. I was gone from my family all the time. I told the guys one time when we were coming in off a long road trip, "I'm gonna quit." Roger Miller was with us; he was fronting at the time. He said, "You won't quit" I had quit once before, and Ray had called me and I'd gone back. Cuz I loved the music so much. He said why are you going to quit? I said one of these days we'll be sixty years old. I'm not a Chet Atkins, and one of these days our fingers will start getting old, and there'll be a town full of good young musicians out here, and we'll be out beating this road to death. I said I'm gonna find me a career someplace. I put my guitar under the bed and I didn't take it out from under the bed for four years. I wouldn't listen to country music at all, because I knew if I did I'd be right back in it again. It was tough to quit, but I finally did. I didn't play any for thirty years, I guess, close to it. But I watched Marty all the time as he rose up to be a tremendous star. I was honored that I had known him and played with him for that time.
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 7:45 am    

I met Jack Evins in the late 1950s when I was a young guy and went to the Opry and Friday Nite Frolics with my older brother and family. He was working with Ray Price at the time. He was a very nice guy.

My question...is he still living? If so, where is he?

Billy Easton

Teddy Lloyd

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 3:20 pm    

Jack was a great guy Shot put the pedals on it

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 3:34 pm    

I can play that turn around pretty close and to me the moves on the video don't match the music at all. There could have been a glitch in the filming and they just lifted some footage of Jack playing to insert there. Happens all the time.

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 5:26 pm    

Sadly,
Jack passed away in 2012. Thought I remembered seeing that in "Gone Home" but couldn't find it.

Here is a link to his obituary.

http://www.doakhowellfuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1599134&fh_id=11830

Craig

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 6:08 pm    

Diane:

I have both books.....thanks so much for your work. I heartily recommend them both.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 8:45 pm    

Clyde, to your point, I think the whole "Invitation To The Blues" video is a lipsync. To my ears, it sounds exactly like the record, although I haven't heard it for awhile. Those sound like Buddy's licks and execution. Not to take anything away from Jack.

Joe

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2015 9:04 pm    

Steve Hinson just emailed me that Jack played on the original version of "Invitation To The Blues." I still think it's a lip sync, but kudos to Jack Evins!

Joe

Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 9:29 am    

yes......Jack did play on the original recording, as did Tommy Jackson (shown in the video) play fiddle, and Roger Miller (composer of the song) sang harmony also shown in the video. If you are going to pantomime a recording, that is the way to do it.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 10:18 am    

unreal, man!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 12:19 pm    

Joe Goldmark wrote:
Steve Hinson just emailed me that Jack played on the original version of "Invitation To The Blues." I still think it's a lip sync, but kudos to Jack Evins!

Joe

I don't think either one of those clips were the actual live recording. Invitation To The Blues sounds just like original with the exception they are in two different keys. I have heard some real live recordings of Jack and he was super smooth and a great picker.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2015 5:31 pm    

I guess the tape was run a little fast or slow there. Still, a crazy amount of talent on those sound stages.

Diane, I'll have to read that Marty Robbins bio! I hadn't gotten into steel guitar yet when I got to Live Fast Love Hard , but it was one of those books that I didn't put down for the first 100 pages, and probably missed a few days of class reading the rest. Going to have to give that one another go around, too.

~Dan

Diane Diekman

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 5:10 am    

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Dan. Faron lived a wilder life than Marty did--at least not quite as controlled. In both books, I made a point of mentioning all their band members.
Author of "Twentieth Century Drifter: The Life of Marty Robbins"

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 2:37 pm    

Diane, that's one of the great things about authors like yourself, and Ronnie Pugh (Ernest Tubb) for example, who do well researched music biographies; you can trace the music through that particular artist's life, but then you can take that information and search out all sorts of other great recordings and artists we might never have come across otherwise.

Last edited by Daniel Policarpo on 30 Aug 2015 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Ben Rubright

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2015 2:10 pm    

Diane........I love the fact that you named the band members. That alone is worth the price of the books. For me, the band was part of who Faron and Marty were. It is one of the things that is wrong in country music today. There are no Leon's, Billy Byrd's, Buddy's (both of them), Jim Farmer's, Jack Pruitt's, Tommy Jackson's, Don Rich's, Johnny Sibert's, Tom Brumley's to identify the singer long before you heard his/her voice. I fear that change seldom results in progress, at least in the world of country music. Thank heavens that we still have people like Bobby Flores, Darrell McCall, Curtis Potter, Justin Trevino, Mike Siler, Amber Digby, Heather Myles, and many others from the great state of Texas. (I know, I know... Heather is from CA!!!)

Ben