The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Duane Ragan RIP
Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2023 1:49 pm    

We are sad to announce that on September 25, 2023 we had to say goodbye to William Duane Ragan (Travelers Rest, South Carolina).

Obit: https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/sc/travelers-rest/william-duane-ragan-16986405

I found out that he had passed while talking with Joe Turner yesterday at the SC show.

I first met Duane at Saluda at the Southern Steel Guitar Convention. That man could play a 6-string lap steel as if it had pedals on it. He was so smooth.

I believe he last played our SC show in Columbia in May 2022. His daughters drove him down so he could play the show. He still, in his 90s, could play as smooth as silk and was one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet.

A friend of ours made the comment, "Did he drive down from Traveler's Rest?"
I said, "No, he is so smooth, he just got on I-26 and slid all the way to Columbia."

He will be missed.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2023 5:04 pm    

Duane played our GaSGA shows on numerous occasions. He was always a hit.
I often heard players tell others that they REALLY have to see what he does on his Lap Steel! Many had the opportunity to do so!
He was a gentleman through and through!
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 7:28 am    

Sorry to learn of Duane's passing while at the November Columbia show with Brian. Duane was a friend and a great player. He played neat stuff on a lap steel that made us pedal guys envious. He learned in the early days of steel guitar which included the accurate use of a slanted bar as well as pulling strings with his fingers at the same time.
He supported the steel guitar community with regular SG performances at Slauda, Belvedere, and Columbia as well as the Georgia shows. He was one of those players that I always made it a point to hear...and listen....he played from the heart with feeling.