The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many of you have a pedal steel seat?
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 2:54 am    

The double duty of a seat/case is also very appealing in one word: backrest.
Till I get one I just bring a folding bench like this one:

Gear is in my "briefcase full of blues". On the upside I can setup, breakdown or get into it when needed without getting up. Razz

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 3:58 am    

Here's mine $19.95 at harbor freight. A fraction of the weight of a pack seat. Folds up!

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 5:19 am    

Does anyone use the KC's seat that is listed in b0b's "link" under accessories?

Haven't seen them mentioned for quite some time...looks like a very nice seat with a back-rest.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 6:11 am    

A chair or other stand-alone seat is fine if you don't play out much. But if you do play out, you have to pack all your gear in some type of luggage. Tool bags aren't very useful as everything gets piled in there and you have to rummage through it to find stuff. Any tool box or other lug that is large enough for all your stuff and is conveniently compartmentalized for VP, picks, bars, strings, efx, cords, etc., is basically a pack-a-seat without a seat.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 6:12 am    

I used a screw up type stool for years but never liked where the feet of the legs would sit...
Then had a Cush Seat for years and after years, Not enough Cush for the Tush...
Now have a Joe Naylor SteelSeat... best thing I’ve ever sat on!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 6:39 am    

If you can play the instrument, most any seat will do, as evidenced by this picture. Personally, I prefer to be at the same height and position everytime I sit down at my guitar. A steel seat provides that, plus storage for most every accessory you need.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 6:53 am    

Clete Ritta wrote:
The double duty of a seat/case is also very appealing in one word: backrest.
Till I get one I just bring a folding bench like this one:

Gear is in my "briefcase full of blues". On the upside I can setup, breakdown or get into it when needed without getting up. Razz

Clete, to be honest the back rest isnt as useful as I though it would be. I do like having it for stretching out my lower back in between songs but I dont really lean back on it. I tend to sit more on the front of my seat.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 7:27 am    

Camping/boating/sporting-goods stores carry portable seats that look like they would work well to convert a steel-seat, to a seat with a backrest.
They are typically advertised as portable Canoe or Stadium seats.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 4:57 pm     thanks

Thanks for the kind steelseat comments - I have many customers that state they do not know why the suffered for many years with X piano stools or drum thrones before they bought a steelseat.

I have gotten photos emailed to me photos of throwing both X stools and drum thrones in a dumpster.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
joe.naylorWatt.net
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 6:26 pm    

Not only are they great for sitting at your steel but a great animal hair collector as well. My cat approves this plug.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2015 10:27 pm     An Old Seat For An Old Seat.

An old Pastor at the church I attended yrs. ago, bought me a used Sho-Bud Pac-a-Seat after his wife complained about how tacky my Natural Oak chair looked on the new remodeled stage....That was in '99, so after my big truck crash in '05, I saved my leg brace, and in '09, I used it build a back for the seat....It supports my (screwed and pinned together) back for 4hrs. a night every weekend....The only problem is all of my cords, VP, Delay, (2) Boss Reverb Pedals, leg clamps, tuner, bars, and junk it weighs in at 40lbs.....But Handy as Buttons on a Shirt.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 9:37 am    

I have been wondering why this is in the Electronics section, and finally came up with the answer. This has been rolling around in my mind, keeping me up at nights. We should have a seat that gives you a shock every time you make a mistake. Heck, by the end of the night, I would be crispy fried.

Just funnin' guys.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2015 12:11 pm     fun

I looked into building one of those Richard. Had to contact OSHA, USDA, FDA, EPA and others - the problem was that no one could determine when a rump roast was done.
Devil

Do not mean to hi-jack the post just hope someone smiles.

Joe Naylor
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 5:35 am     Re: fun

And all thanks to the late great Duane Marrs who when working for Sho-Bud's made the first Sho-Bud Pakka seat Smile

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 10:27 am    

I've got a really nice seat that Joe Naylor at "steel seat.com"built it doesn't leave the house much,I also have a piece of crap seat that a friend of mine bought for me at Bobbe Seymore's in Nashville I've fixed that one so many times...it has more glue than wood!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2015 10:57 am    

Steeler's Choice "Easy Rider w/ Back Support". Purchased it at Scotty's convention back in 1990 or there abouts. I have forgotten my seat at home a few times. So now I keep it in this dandy SKB Case with all my cables & goodies.

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 4:51 pm     Pedal Steel guitar Seat

I use a beautiful “Steeler’s Choice Pro 1 Sidekick W/ Electrical Strip for all my plugins!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 5:36 pm    

Lee Baucum wrote:
I'm still using my old ACE (Hammondsport, N.Y.) seat I bought back in the 1970's.

Still in service!

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 6:01 pm    

Quote:
I have been wondering why this is in the Electronics section ...

Because I wasn't moderating in 2015, LOL. Moved.

I have always used a high-quality adjustable drum throne. I have a backrest, which I can take on or off as per my preference at the time. Puts my butt at exactly the right height for me, which is much higher than any steel seat I've tried or seen. Nor do I need the storage space. I have a pedal board for my effects, which are pre-wired at all times, and a gig bag (either a small duffle or a knapsack if I can get away with it) for everything else.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 7:23 pm    

I own a very nice GFI seat with backrest. My pedal board doesn’t fit in it. I use a keyboard seat and carry my pedal board and cables in a Pedaltrain soft case.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 8:55 pm    

I have an ancient no-name pak-a-seat that goes to work because it's really light and I don't need a backrest. The Steeler's Choice Pro-1 Sidekick with a backrest is a delight but it's heavy, so it doesn't go out unless we're puttin' on the Ritz. Winking

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 2:31 am    

Well, while we're on the topic of seats.....

I just picked up this seat. It is beautifully made and super sturdy. Only issue was the latch, which was too close to the handle for me: waiting to find some time to install two latches outside the handle width.

But: I don't think it is really a GFI seat. They all had double latches and were relatively compact. This one is a generous 19.5" wide. I don't think it was a home-build based on how finely appointed it is. I tried to get a shot that shows the detailed bevel on the seat vinyl as an example of how professionally it was done. If it turns out to be a home-made job by a forumite, I'm very impressed!

Any ideas who made this?.

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 2:46 am    

I have two, both home built. One has an amp built in with speakers for playing accompanyment recordings. The other is standard steel seat.

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 6:25 am     Steel Seat

Dave, check your pm’s.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 8:58 am    

Lee wrote:
I'm still using my old ACE (Hammondsport, N.Y.) seat I bought back in the 1970's.

LOL.. me too, recovered the seat once: