The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro tuning problem
L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 8:17 pm    

I'm having a Dobro tuning problem. I use a tuner, and tune the instrument straight-up with the two "D's" in octave unison. The tuner shows both notes as being in tune, but the "B" string beats when played against the lower D note, but not against the upper one. It's not bar position, because this happens open as well. I've checked everything I can think of. The rest of the strings are in tune, it's an accoustic /electric instrument so I've tried it with a plug-in electronic, and two clip-on type accoustic tuners, and even with the band's guitar player who has extensive musical training and he too, agreed that my Dobro was in tune. And, before you ask, yes ...I checked the batteries and calibration on all the tuners I used.

I'm at a total loss as to where to go from here. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this? If anybody has any idea why this is happening or what I could possibly do about it, I'd certainly appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2015 8:38 pm    

1.) There's two B strings. There's two of all strings.
2.) Are you tuning just intonation? Flatting the B's?

Equal temperment is a compromise... choose your poison. I'd probably tune the B's 7cents flat.

It's possible that you notice the beats against lower strings but not against higher strings, since the beats are faster.

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2015 4:34 am    

In equal temperament, the third above the root will always be sharp compared to the root. The solution, particularly if you are playing by yourself, would be to tune the B flat by a tad, so that it is in "just temperament" and it will sound in tune when you are playing straight chords (G open, C at fifth fret, etc). The issue comes when you are playing other kinds of chords where the second string is not the third of the third string, and when you are playing with other instruments, particularly guitar and piano, which are tuned in equal temperament. There is no real issue when playing single notes, just don't play the second string open if you are playing a G run.

Much posted about this, here and on the rest of the interweb. It's an interesting issue. Apparently you can buy tuners with selectable "just" tuning for this exact reason.

Brian

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2015 6:50 am    

Thanks for your replies.

Stephen- I do have only one B because I tune my Dobro D, B, G, D, A, E. This tuning gives me a 9th. and a 6th tone, both of which I need for the music.

Brian- yes, I do use equal temperament, as does every other stringed instrument in our church band. We have no other choice since everything centers around a keyboard instrument. I know it's imperfect, and not the way I would choose to tune. I wonder if it's more noticeable because the resonator echoes it back?

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2015 1:10 pm    

It's more noticeable because the notes are close together. Try leaving the third out of the chord, not playing it. Just use the b string as the root of a chord, for example, or the fifth. In equal temperament, really only the octaves and the fifths are real close to being in tune with each other. A lot of times the strategy when playing with other people is to let some other instrument play the root of the chord, so you can leave out the root and just play the upper partials. If you had an upper B string, you could play a 10 interval rather than a 3, and the beat would not be as noticable.

Brian

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2015 1:34 pm    

3 notes and fat strings. i've never thought of the dobro as a very fine tuneable instrument. tune it by ear and play. it either sounds good or not. i wouldn't fall into the steel guitarist trap of nitpicking electronic readings.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2015 7:12 am    

The resonant frequency of the sound chamber itself my not like the two pitches and be causing a beat frequency. Seems like most of the time the low string is tuned D on a dobro the next string is tuned A.

Or old strings?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2015 7:46 am    

well..most dobros tune low to high GBDGBD.