The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons R.I.P.
Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 9:02 am    

Another legend gone. But he will be with us in our heart. Although I never took a personal lesson from him I sure learned plenty from him.

Rest in peace Buddy Emmons.

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 9:15 am    

My opinion and two bucks might get you a cup of coffee, but I believe we just lost the greatest musician that ever walked on this planet. Rest in peace Big E!

Bryan Triplett

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 9:23 am    

You left some big shoes that can't be filled, rest easy buddy

Dallas Cheked

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 12:28 pm    

David Cubbedge wrote:

RIP Buddy Emmons, simply the greatest.

The Emmons Original. "The Stradivarius of Steel Guitars".
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 12:50 pm     at Jeff Newman school I met Buddy

Back in 79 I went to the Jeff Newman school and Jeff brought Buddy and his super pickers to play. It was basically a private jam session for about 2 hours. There were only about 15 of us and I got to sit 5 feet away from Buddy. It was truly a life changing experience. He played country ,jazz and some stuff I don't fit into any genre. OF course Jeff said no recording allowed. Guess what, I put my recorder in my steel seat and the little microphone on top of my steel. It has been a treasured part of my collection my whole career. I listen over and over and will spend my entire life attempting to play better due to his inspiration. Maybe when I pass on I will be able to see him play again.
RIP Big E !!!

Al Anderson

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 1:01 pm    

The king of Kings.

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 2:50 pm    

everything Buddy touched or played turned to gold.RIP maestro your with Peggy now.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 3:02 pm    

Rest In Peace Buddy. Your legacy will live on forever.

Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 3:29 pm    

There will never be another! This is one of my favorite photos of Buddy in his basement in 1998 when I was doing performance/interviews for my "333 book"
I hope all the text is accurate, Buddy gave me most of it.

Hugh Briley

Apex, North Carolina
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 6:09 pm     Buddy Emmons R. I. P.

Nuff said

Walker Seat
dhb Custom Split Cases
dhb Custom SD-10 Case

Jonathan Goodman

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2015 8:47 pm    

R.I.P., if there's a heaven, I hope there's a Buddy Emmons and Danny Gatton redneck jazz explosion in the clouds.

Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:15 am    

I believe he's at peace. It couldn't have been easy to be Buddy Emmons. He had so much to live up to and I believe he worked hard at maintaining that level of perfection. He seemed a guarded person and after Peggy's death he retreated. I'm thankful he's no longer in pain or sadness.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 6:41 am    

I think that to be well said Jack, it could not have been easy. We all talk about how nervous we would be if Buddy attended while we were playing. I would also think he had the same feeling during his performances when many of his peers were in attendance. I pray for his family and all his friends and fans.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 7:45 am    

I never got to meet Buddy, but he was a great inspiration to me. I have listened to as much of his playing as I could, and hoped I could play as well as him, but I don't think that will happen. R.I.P. Buddy. and thanks for all you did.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 9:16 am    

Buddy's playing and style were unique. He will certainly be missed.

My favorite video was when he was playing with Ernest Tubb in 1961. The video shows a 24 year old Buddy Emmons playing with the most energy and enthusiasm I can remember. I really enjoy this video each time I view it.

Ernest Tubb - Drivin' Nails in My Coffin
A6 tuning for steels

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 10:50 am    

RIP, Buddy - You certainly have influenced all of us.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 10:51 am    

Jonathan Goodman wrote:
R.I.P., if there's a heaven, I hope there's a Buddy Emmons and Danny Gatton redneck jazz explosion in the clouds.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 11:20 am    

Well this is real sad news. I seen Buddy Emons in Connecticut Back in the early 70s. What a great Steel Guitar player that ever lived.Prayers go out to Buddy's Family and clase friends.This is dard to beleave.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 12:55 pm    

The world of pedal steel guitar has never been the same since Buddy got a hold of it, and it will never be the same again, now he's gone. Then again, is he really gone? No, his presence lives on, in so much of what we do as steel players. In the same manner that the Crickets sang about their Buddy and Rock 'n Roll music...

Buddy Emmons lives every time we play steel guitar!

Alan Miller

, England, UK.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 12:56 pm    

The nice thing is that Buddy knew how we all felt about him. The countless number of fans that he didn't know and the members of this forum, his many friends and fellow peers who said so many times that we have witnessed the greatest pedal steel guitarists that will ever be.

So many times praise is lavished on greatness posthumously and although we will hear much of that praise again now, at least all of it was said when he was around to hear it.
He made his mark and the old saying " there will never be another like him " has never been so true.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 1:23 pm    

Mike Ihde wrote:

I hope all the text is accurate,

mike, the sho-bud company was a little earlier. it was the emmons co. that came out mid-sixties that had the push rod action.

Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 3:06 pm    

Once in a lifetime someone comes along that just completely masters his trade and stands head a shoulders above everyone else. Buddy was one of these people. This just kills me.

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 3:12 pm     Buddy

May Buddy RIP, He will surely be forgotten, a master of the steel guitar and a great individual, Condolence for his family, Shorty

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 3:30 pm    

It sure appears Buddy loved Peggy very deeply. Losing Peggy was very difficult for him to get through. Many times we see the musical side of a musician and especially one that played at the high level Buddy did. I saw where he is survived by 4 grandchildren as well as his son. His legacy will live forever and not just in the heart of steel players. Losing Buddy Emmons has made this one tough week for all of us.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2015 5:13 pm    

Buddy we all miss you and you have received your TEN STRING INSTRUMENT. You may be gone but, Your memories from those who were close friends will live on. I was saddened to here about this, when it first came out. I never got the chance to meat you. I wish I did. You were one of my HEROES and at the top of my list. I know you are giving Ray and Jimmy Day and Dickens a hard time as always up there. You are now picking for the Glory of God.. Thank you for all of the music you made , in putting out the steel up front.
Tommy Shown