The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard pedal rod length???
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 7:35 am    

Just lowered my guitar's height by 1/2" so I could have better contact to the LKV lever (I'm 5' 7" tall).
Floor to the top of the end plate was 29"...now 28 1/2". Floor to the bottom of the end plate was 25 1/2" now about 25".

Whoooa! So now all my pedals touch the floor.
My pedal rods are 25 1/4" in length. I tried to bottom out the ball joint connectors, but the rods are still too long.
Is 25 1/4" a fairly standard length for a pedal rod? And is the 29" height a standard height for the guitar? I've tried all the possible adjustments related to the knee lever height.

I don't want to cut the rods down if it means I will jeopardize the guitar's resale desirability.

Last edited by Tom Campbell on 27 Jul 2015 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 8:26 am    

Tom, just get some shorter pedal rods made?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 8:27 am    

your rods seem close to the proper length for a 'normal' height. but my emmons is about 25" to the bottom of the endplate. so you may have some extra long legs.
measure your legs.
my legs (the fat part) are 23" from the bottom of the clutch to where they hit the endplate.
assuming you have the normal mic stand type legs.
i'm about your height also.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:07 am    

Hello chris,

My guitar is a Sierra so I have (unorthodox) square legs...but from where the clutch would be, near the top of the pedal bar, I come in at 22". I think my guitar's body is a little deeper/taller than the Emmons.

I'm thinking I should consider the comfort and playability for "me" now...and let some possible future owner set it up for their comfort; maybe add a 1" extension if that's what is required.

Thanks for your input.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:09 am    

I wouldn't worry about it much. I'd screw on a backing nut (to clean the threads after the cut) and just take off a half inch.
Due to the different connectors used, it wouldn't surprise me if the different makes differ in length.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:15 am     rods for sierra?

tom, how long doe's the rods need to be (are they the ones that has the clip on connector on both ends or the ones that has the clip on connector on one end and the other end has the regular end that connects to the guitar?) also how many do you need? i will have to check and see how many and which type i have....thanks jack

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 10:11 am    

I just finished cutting off 3/8" from the rod. I re-beveled the end thread...took my 10-32 die a drop of cutting oil and cut some additional threads. I now have the clearance I need...will now proceed to do the remainder rods.

I thought about raising the guitar back to it's original height just to avoid having to cut the rods, but a lot of good that would do me. I'd be right back fighting that knee lever again!

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 10:35 am    

i think you're doing the right thing.

James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 3:08 pm    

You're lucky! I had to shorten some rods for a friend of mine. I called his rig a "Frankensteel", because there were many parts from various PSGs cobbled onto this thing. The die worked well on the first rod, but on the second, and third, I found out they were made of much harder steel! They were so hard, I had a difficult time keeping them from spinning in the vise, between two pieces of cardboard. I had to cut the threads 1/8 turn, at a time, to avoid breaking the die! On one of my steels, I lengthened my rods by installing !/8" compression fittings on the end of the rod threads, and used 10-32 screws in the other end, with the head end down. Then I cut the screws off to the new length with a Dremel cutting disc. Cost is about $5.00 a rod, and mine have been working well for several years now. I think it costs about 20 bucks apiece to have new rods made, so you're not de-valuing your steel by cutting your rods, and if you're anything like me, you're thoroughly enjoying your modification by now! -Jake-