The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BABY FACE 12 string steel and BIAB!
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2015 6:50 am    

This is the first video I am sharing with a background track created entirely using "Band in a Box" software. Up until now I have recorded my own bass, drum, guitar and KBD tracks in my home studio.
But BIAB is so quick! Just type in the chords and pick a style...
The "band" really swings on this number and inspires me to improvise and jam a bit more.
Dom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekE7sByGRA&feature=youtu.be Very Happy

Bill Brunt

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2015 9:23 pm    

Excellent again, Dom.
You had them singing along.
I loved it when, about halfway through the song, your silver-haired fan looked down as if to look for the pedals:)

I got to go see my mom this weekend for her 90th birthday. She suffers from dementia, and has almost escaped once Shocked so they keep her universe pretty small now.
She still recognizes her only son, though.

Just thought I'd mention that so I could say thanks for what you are doing for our moms and grandmas.

P.S.
You need to do a video showing us slow learners how you take advantage of the 12 stringer in doing backup.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2015 5:59 am    

As far as backing up the vocals, all I am doing is playing through the chord changes of the song... but at the end of each vocal line there is a "hole" that can be filled with a chord strum, slide, lick, run down or up the scale etc.

These are called "fills" or "hooks" if they become an important part of the arrangement.

When playing in a band and backing up a singer, the steel guitar really shines as a fill instrument. The bass, drums, and rhythm guitar keep a steady groove and outline the song with the chord changes.

If there is a lead guitar and keyboard in the band as well, each lead instrument will often trade off and each take a verse or chorus and do all the licks in that section of the song. I used to love working out harmonies and complimentary parts with the lead guitar in the groups I played in.

Dom